The Good Life....living The Dream?

Made the break 16 years ago, land, lakes, animals etc. Open my door and I can see nothing but valleys, trees and sky. Although there is a pillion in the distance, keep meaning to drop it with the chop saw! :laugh: .

Any ways, my back is busted, my shoulders give me gip, I get knee problems from time to time. People are often trying to chore stuff, every thing I do, build or buy are in denominations of £500. I have most things, I want for not a lot, but always seem to be skint.

When you've got animals/dogs etc it's 7 days week, 52 weeks a year kinda ting.

I long for holidays, fishing trips and not waking up at dawns crack.

I came from the smoke and I missed the hustle and bustle of city life. Slowly I've got used to the slowly slowly country business and I am now part of the scenery.

"Living the Dream" you say, I bet a lot on here couldn't hack it. I've learnt a lot here over the years and a lot I didn't need to know, but hey that's part of life and I like learning stuff that I can bore people at parties with :D.

My dreams now are to go fishing lots, hunting a little less :blink: , using my bike instead of big diesel engines, waking up when I please and worrying about nothing but what to eat. Forgot about having an extended vegetable patch, from this my food trading would start.

Oh and I wouldn't mind a good party from time to time :boogy: .

+1 for the second bit!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

were i live mackem for the last 13/14 years is a sorta living the dream,,if there is a such a thing....if you know what I mean..going away in the van here or abroad.me and me best mate the missus..met

I had big dreams once, I believed that if I continued to work myself in to the ground for just a few more years I could end up with my dream house in the countryside. The last oil crash gave me a mass

im living it right now, never enters my head to be elsewhere, I will be 73 this Thursday, and want fer nowt, apart from a touch of arhritus in my left hand, im in good health, got myself a decent pup,

Posted Images

Well I was away for most of my kids lives when they were growing up and it did them no harm ... we are all close and they turned out ok for the most part ... if I could turn back time and do it all again for more money would I .... in a fukcing heartbeat .......

Well I was away for most of my kids lives when they were growing up and it did them no harm ... we are all close and they turned out ok for the most part ... if I could turn back time and do it all again for more money would I .... in a fukcing heartbeat .......

I think me and my sisters turned out alrate socks and it is not slaging mi father or my upbringing off at all. He was away but we had a better upbringing than 90% of my friends when I was growing up BECAUSE he was away and I get that. I am very close with mi father and have had many a long discussion about it and my dad is soooo proud of serving queen and country and I am proud he did and proud he is my dad. I cannot tell you the love, pride and respect I have for my father. I just dont know if my choices are subconcious because of missing him as a kid thats all I meant.

quote from steve jobs on his death bed....
from work, I have little joy. Finally, my wealth is simply a fact to which I am accustomed.
At this time, lying on the hospital bed and remembering all my life, I realize that all the accolades and riches of which I was once so proud, have become insignificant with my imminent death.
In the dark, when I look at green lights, of the equipment for artificial respiration and feel the buzz of their mechanical sounds, I can feel the breath of my approaching death looming over me.
Only now do I understand that once you accumulate enough money for the rest of your life, you have to pursue objectives that are not related to wealth.
It should be something more important:
For example, stories of love, art, dreams of my childhood.
No, stop pursuing wealth, it can only make a person into a twisted being, just like me.
God has made us one way, we can feel the love in the heart of each of us, and not illusions built by fame or money, like I made in my life, I cannot take them with me.
I can only take with me the memories that were strengthened by love.
This is the true wealth that will follow you; will accompany you, he will give strength and light to go ahead.
Love can travel thousands of miles and so life has no limits. Move to where you want to go. Strive to reach the goals you want to achieve. Everything is in your heart and in your hands.
What is the world's most expensive bed? The hospital bed.
You, if you have money, you can hire someone to drive your car, but you cannot hire someone to take your illness that is killing you.
Material things lost can be found. But one thing you can never find when you lose: life.
Whatever stage of life where we are right now, at the end we will have to face the day when the curtain falls.
Please treasure your family love, love for your spouse, love for your friends...
Treat everyone well and stay friendly with your neighbours.
  • Like 6

from work, I have little joy. Finally, my wealth is simply a fact to which I am accustomed.

At this time, lying on the hospital bed and remembering all my life, I realize that all the accolades and riches of which I was once so proud, have become insignificant with my imminent death.

In the dark, when I look at green lights, of the equipment for artificial respiration and feel the buzz of their mechanical sounds, I can feel the breath of my approaching death looming over me.

Only now do I understand that once you accumulate enough money for the rest of your life, you have to pursue objectives that are not related to wealth.

No, stop pursuing wealth, it can only make a person into a twisted being, just like me.

God has made us one way, we can feel the love in the heart of each of us, and not illusions built by fame or money, like I made in my life, I cannot take them with me.

This is the true wealth that will follow you; will accompany you, he will give strength and light to go ahead.

Love can travel thousands of miles and so life has no limits. Move to where you want to go. Strive to reach the goals you want to achieve. Everything is in your heart and in your hands.

You, if you have money, you can hire someone to drive your car, but you cannot hire someone to take your illness that is killing you.

Material things lost can be found. But one thing you can never find when you lose: life.

Whatever stage of life where we are right now, at the end we will have to face the day when the curtain falls.

Please treasure your family love, love for your spouse, love for your friends...

thats only from someone who fears death.

Do you fear death nan?

Do you fear death nan?

no...i now understand its part of life.

• Like 1

I don't fear death at all.

I think of the peace and quiet which it will bring.

Just lying there relaxed forever.no stress or strain or worrying.

But I do fear missing my wife and kids.

Do you fear death nan?

no...i now understand its part of life.

Lol?

So the moral of Steve Jobs tale is first get your wealth :laugh:

But I do like this little tale,and not only because it involves fishing foor tuna :victory: everything in life is about finding that balance

A vacationing American businessman standing on the pier of a quaint coastal fishing village in southern Mexico watched as a small boat with just one young Mexican fisherman pulled into the dock. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. Enjoying the warmth of the early afternoon sun, the American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish.

"How long did it take you to catch them?" the American casually asked.

"Oh, a few hours," the Mexican fisherman replied.

"Why don't you stay out longer and catch more fish?" the American businessman then asked.

The Mexican warmly replied, "With this I have more than enough to meet my family's needs."

The businessman then became serious, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

Responding with a smile, the Mexican fisherman answered, "I sleep late, play with my children, watch ball games, and take siesta with my wife. Sometimes in the evenings I take a stroll into the village to see my friends, play the guitar, sing a few songs..."

The American businessman impatiently interrupted, "Look, I have an MBA from Harvard, and I can help you to be more profitable. You can start by fishing several hours longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra money, you can buy a bigger boat. With the additional income that larger boat will bring, before long you can buy a second boat, then a third one, and so on, until you have an entire fleet of fishing boats."

Proud of his own sharp thinking, he excitedly elaborated a grand scheme which could bring even bigger profits, "Then, instead of selling your catch to a middleman you'll be able to sell your fish directly to the processor, or even open your own cannery. Eventually, you could control the product, processing and distribution. You could leave this tiny coastal village and move to Mexico City, or possibly even Los Angeles or New York City, where you could even further expand your enterprise."

Having never thought of such things, the Mexican fisherman asked, "But how long will all this take?"

After a rapid mental calculation, the Harvard MBA pronounced, "Probably about 15-20 years, maybe less if you work really hard."

"And then what, señor?" asked the fisherman.

"Why, that's the best part!" answered the businessman with a laugh. "When the time is right, you would sell your company stock to the public and become very rich. You would make millions."

"Millions? Really? What would I do with it all?" asked the young fisherman in disbelief.

The businessman boasted, "Then you could happily retire with all the money you've made. You could move to a quaint coastal fishing village where you could sleep late, play with your grandchildren, watch ball games, and take siesta with your wife. You could stroll to the village in the evenings where you could play the guitar and sing with your friends all you want."

• Like 17

like fuk,,,GET THIS FOLKS....WHEN DEATH COMES ITS ALL OVER,,,,,,,FINITO...THEEEE ENDDDD.no more awareness or existence...how the hell could ye be ready for that..my mother was an old catholic raised lady,never saw bad in anyone,she had a tough life,hard upbringing,over the years she had sickness herself,watched her daughter suffer all her living years suffer from depression (and still does)and whatever,her husband/my father died a few years before her and she suffered from strokes for 2 years before she died...and she told me she had no fear of death...well when the time came she was terrified,it was obvious by her demeanour she was scared,and she had religious faith,something none of her offspring carry to this day,,I dont care what anyone says...NO ONE WANTS TO NON EXSIST. the best bit is you live in the memories of your loved ones ..the worst is you become a name on a head stone and bio degradeable..lol

f**k sake..to early for such thoughts ....im walking the dogs :laugh:

• Like 2

like fuk,,,GET THIS FOLKS....WHEN DEATH COMES ITS ALL OVER,,,,,,,FINITO...THEEEE ENDDDD.no more awareness or existence...how the hell could ye be ready for that..my mother was an old catholic raised lady,never saw bad in anyone,she had a tough life,hard upbringing,over the years she had sickness herself,watched her daughter suffer all her living years suffer from depression (and still does)and whatever,her husband/my father died a few years before her and she suffered from strokes for 2 years before she died...and she told me she had no fear of death...well when the time came she was terrified,it was obvious by her demeanour she was scared,and she had religious faith,something none of her offspring carry to this day,,I dont care what anyone says...NO ONE WANTS TO NON EXSIST. the best bit is you live in the memories of your loved ones ..the worst is you become a name on a head stone and bio degradeable..lol

f**k sake..to early for such thoughts ....im walking the dogs :laugh:

• Like 1