The Good Life....living The Dream?

Sometimes though Gnash striving for more you can lose sight of what you actually have , I know 1 bloke who could make the Times Rich list & he is so driven he in my eyes doesn't enjoy what he's actually got !!

Maybe being driven IS the enjoyment......its a different type of riches but truly enjoying making money can be more rewarding than the money itself.......dont you remember in Only Fools & Horses after Del had got his millions from that Sothebys auction the next day he was back on the phone to Monkey Harris or whoever it was doing a deal on some toasters :D ......i totally get that.

Anyway i was certainly living the dream last night beating them dirty Yids again :boogy:

• Like 3

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

were i live mackem for the last 13/14 years is a sorta living the dream,,if there is a such a thing....if you know what I mean..going away in the van here or abroad.me and me best mate the missus..met

I had big dreams once, I believed that if I continued to work myself in to the ground for just a few more years I could end up with my dream house in the countryside. The last oil crash gave me a mass

im living it right now, never enters my head to be elsewhere, I will be 73 this Thursday, and want fer nowt, apart from a touch of arhritus in my left hand, im in good health, got myself a decent pup,

Posted Images

Haha, beat me to it Gnash.

I'm living the dream today, took my two kids teams away last night and they played their little socks off........got in about 10 to find we had beaten the yids and quiet possibly cost them the title !!.........it don't get better than that !

• Like 2

I was offered a new job not long after I found out my missus was pregnant. Around 6 grand a year more which sounds great when you've a kid on the way. It involved lots of travelling late nights and overtime would be there at weekends. But we make enough just now that we are more than comfortable and the one thing you can't buy back is lost time. As they say the best things in life are free.

But what if it was 60 grand a year more instead of 6 ?.....f**k it lets say 600 grand....or lets go the whole hog and say 6 million ?......its a lovely romantic notion people have when they say " i wouldnt put money before family "......but in my experience every man has his price...... not pointing this at you by the way Rusty im just making the point in general.

If its a toss up between securing your wife and kids lives and futures,putting them in a position where they will never want for anything,setting them up in homes/business ( ex wife included ! ) making sure they never have to do the sort of shit you had to do...............but all at a cost of your personal relationships with them.....which would it be ? and are you being selfish whichever one you choose ?

Im not making a stand or an excuse for shit fathers or absent fathers i just think we can all have these big morals and principals when they are unlikely to ever be tested but what if it really was an option,what is the hard honest reality then ?

• Like 1

Honestly wouldnt do it mate. Would happily win 6 mill in the lotto but wouldn't throw the best years of my life away. That's me being honest. Right now I'm pretty well off if I'm honest but I'm no happier than I was when I didn't earn as much. If I was a single guy with no commitments bar my hobbies I would probably give a different answer.

That's fair enough and understandable......but just to put a slight spin on it......your kids get to working age and havent got a pot to piss in just like you when you left school.....your mrs has spent all those years struggling to raise them just getting by week to week.....................do you think theres a chance you would look back and think " shit i could of changed all that but for my own selfish need for relationships with them " ?......do you think theres a chance your kids would say " wanker you could of given us everything but you chose not to " ?

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1

Honestly wouldnt do it mate. Would happily win 6 mill in the lotto but wouldn't throw the best years of my life away. That's me being honest. Right now I'm pretty well off if I'm honest but I'm no happier than I was when I didn't earn as much. If I was a single guy with no commitments bar my hobbies I would probably give a different answer.

That's fair enough and understandable......but just to put a slight spin on it......your kids get to working age and havent got a pot to piss in just like you when you left school.....your mrs has spent all those years struggling to raise them just getting by week to week.....................do you think theres a chance you would look back and think " shit i could of changed all that but for my own selfish need for relationships with them " ?......do you think theres a chance your kids would say " wanker you could of given us everything but you chose not to " ?

thats some spin,,, :laugh: you could do well working in government..

to answer the question,,even though its not aimed at me,,,,no

• Like 1

I was offered a new job not long after I found out my missus was pregnant. Around 6 grand a year more which sounds great when you've a kid on the way. It involved lots of travelling late nights and overtime would be there at weekends. But we make enough just now that we are more than comfortable and the one thing you can't buy back is lost time. As they say the best things in life are free.

But what if it was 60 grand a year more instead of 6 ?.....f**k it lets say 600 grand....or lets go the whole hog and say 6 million ?......its a lovely romantic notion people have when they say " i wouldnt put money before family "......but in my experience every man has his price...... not pointing this at you by the way Rusty im just making the point in general.

If its a toss up between securing your wife and kids lives and futures,putting them in a position where they will never want for anything,setting them up in homes/business ( ex wife included ! ) making sure they never have to do the sort of shit you had to do...............but all at a cost of your personal relationships with them.....which would it be ? and are you being selfish whichever one you choose ?

Im not making a stand or an excuse for shit fathers or absent fathers i just think we can all have these big morals and principals when they are unlikely to ever be tested but what if it really was an option,what is the hard honest reality then ?

I don't think it comes down to big morals or principals or looking down on anyone........it comes down to doing what sits right with you as a person and you can't change your character.......you are who you are.

You can adjust it, you can hone and polish it a bit but you will always be a product of your roots.

I can only speak from experience, it's no f***ing fun for a kid being in the old bill shop for 7 hours getting asked all sorts of snidey questions while they have you old man down stairs, or having 18 of the c**ts come through the door on a Saturday morning while you are watching Tiswas with 6 of them stood round your old man while he takes a tom tit !

You have to grow up before your time.

Train journeys with your mum to some god forsaken nick on visiting day........and your heart breaking when you have to leave.

I never blamed or held any resentment about it, it's just how it was.......it went with the job.

BUT.......I never wanted that for mine because personally all the money in world wouldn't have made it a damn bit more of a pleasure.

Them days are long gone anyway, you can earn a nice few quid straight now with pretty basic knowledge and a work ethic.......but you have to do what's right for you.

Someone else's way may not be your way, you can't judge them in that........it's called minding your own business.

• Like 3

I just think its one of those things people say and get away with saying because its never going to happen...... too many folk have these throw away morals and big statements they stand behind it always reminds me of these blokes who see a beautiful model and say something like " i would smash her back doors in ".............yes you would if you could but you cant so you wont !

• Like 1

Its not a selfish need, its a balance you are happy with, each man is different. Hopefully we all have different answers to what is the balance.

What kid would turn around and say wanker? unless the parent was an arsehole I cant see see that happening, voice of experience here on that one.

Made the break 16 years ago, land, lakes, animals etc. Open my door and I can see nothing but valleys, trees and sky. Although there is a pillion in the distance, keep meaning to drop it with the chop saw! :laugh: .

Any ways, my back is busted, my shoulders give me gip, I get knee problems from time to time. People are often trying to chore stuff, every thing I do, build or buy are in denominations of £500. I have most things, I want for not a lot, but always seem to be skint.

When you've got animals/dogs etc it's 7 days week, 52 weeks a year kinda ting.

I long for holidays, fishing trips and not waking up at dawns crack.

I came from the smoke and I missed the hustle and bustle of city life. Slowly I've got used to the slowly slowly country business and I am now part of the scenery.

"Living the Dream" you say, I bet a lot on here couldn't hack it. I've learnt a lot here over the years and a lot I didn't need to know, but hey that's part of life and I like learning stuff that I can bore people at parties with :D.

My dreams now are to go fishing lots, hunting a little less :blink: , using my bike instead of big diesel engines, waking up when I please and worrying about nothing but what to eat. Forgot about having an extended vegetable patch, from this my food trading would start.

Oh and I wouldn't mind a good party from time to time :boogy: .

• Like 7

I just think its one of those things people say and get away with saying because its never going to happen...... too many folk have these throw away morals and big statements they stand behind it always reminds me of these blokes who see a beautiful model and say something like " i would smash her back doors in ".............yes you would if you could but you cant so you wont !

Like so many men I have known mate, everyone makes choices based on their circumstances at the time.....your area and your upbringing will also have an impact on those choices.........and it will all end up where it ends up.

Different strokes for different folks............let he who is without sin cast the first stone and all that ;)

What's not for one bloke may be the only option another bloke sees.......I was talking about something similar with my wife last night and said to her "every c**ts a genious after the event"

I was lucky enough (I suppose !!) to see some things from a different perspective and so that shaped my choices but also stood me in good stead.......would I change it?......well one thing maybe but other than that not at all...........a life less ordinary and happy to have seen it ;)

• Like 3

my back is busted, my shoulders give me gip, I get knee problems from time to time.

How old are you Mr Green? :blink:

Nearly 50. My job, sport, accidents and fighting have paid my body. Nothing a year of in a warm place wouldn't sort out :D .

• Like 1

Made the break 16 years ago, land, lakes, animals etc. Open my door and I can see nothing but valleys, trees and sky. Although there is a pillion in the distance, keep meaning to drop it with the chop saw! :laugh: .

Any ways, my back is busted, my shoulders give me gip, I get knee problems from time to time. People are often trying to chore stuff, every thing I do, build or buy are in denominations of £500. I have most things, I want for not a lot, but always seem to be skint.

When you've got animals/dogs etc it's 7 days week, 52 weeks a year kinda ting.

I long for holidays, fishing trips and not waking up at dawns crack.

I came from the smoke and I missed the hustle and bustle of city life. Slowly I've got used to the slowly slowly country business and I am now part of the scenery.

"Living the Dream" you say, I bet a lot on here couldn't hack it. I've learnt a lot here over the years and a lot I didn't need to know, but hey that's part of life and I like learning stuff that I can bore people at parties with :D.

My dreams now are to go fishing lots, hunting a little less :blink: , using my bike instead of big diesel engines, waking up when I please and worrying about nothing but what to eat. Forgot about having an extended vegetable patch, from this my food trading would start.

Oh and I wouldn't mind a good party from time to time :boogy: .

Im 4/5ths of the way there, but its been uphill (a test) and the grass is always greener.

• Like 2

A very wealthy man said too me . . "It's better being born lucky than born rich" . . And that is 100% right .

Gnash your boys tore the rug from under that lot last night , I know Arsenal have had a bad season on & off the pitch & all I hear from that lot is how much off a better season they've had than us well there ending up plotless yet we could win the FA cup how ironic would that be :)

Sometimes though Gnash striving for more you can lose sight of what you actually have , I know 1 bloke who could make the Times Rich list & he is so driven he in my eyes doesn't enjoy what he's actually got !!

I think committing to family can also get in the way of Ambition for some, tough decisions have to be made. My best mate is often in two minds about it, a great highflying job travelling all over the world, but doesn't see his boy from one week to the next.......obviously he'll have a cracking pension at the end of it, but at what cost?

This is me aswell, been offered some brilliant paying jobs all over the world but I cant stand to be away from my misus and kids. I think part of that stems from my dad being in the Navy 27years and at times not seeing him for months on end. I dont want that for me or my kids. I choose to stay at home and accept that it means I will have to work longer and itll take longer to save for what we want but atleast Im here. Admitedly its onky happened a couple of times but I have sacked work off and rushed home more than once be ause something has gone off. Imagine getting that call and being in dubai or UAE?! Not for me that. I want to be there for my family. We are happy. You never know what tomorrow might bring so have to make the most of today. I always wanted to retire before 50 which if I had taken some of the offers I could have done but retire at 50 at the expense of seeing my children grow up? No way. Id rather work till I was 90 and see them every day. I am genuinly living my dream.

• Like 1