The Good Life....living The Dream?

I left my small pit village nearly thirty years ago to try and change my life by joining the army ... if I had stayed I would have no doubt been spending most of my time behind bars ... I left school and home at 15 and was in full time employment but I was always on the look out for a quick buck but my downfall was I would get in a scrap at the drop of a hat ... the catalyst for me was standing in the dock on a malicious gbh charge waiting to go down and looking at my six month old daughter ... I knew then I had to sort my shit out ...

Well fast forward a few decades and I now live in a beautiful part of the country surrounded by piece and quiet and rolling fields and woods ... my job is my passion so I don't feel I am going to work every day ... my ultimate goal is to have a small holding with a few animals on so I will keep working towards that ......

• Like 14

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

were i live mackem for the last 13/14 years is a sorta living the dream,,if there is a such a thing....if you know what I mean..going away in the van here or abroad.me and me best mate the missus..met

I had big dreams once, I believed that if I continued to work myself in to the ground for just a few more years I could end up with my dream house in the countryside. The last oil crash gave me a mass

im living it right now, never enters my head to be elsewhere, I will be 73 this Thursday, and want fer nowt, apart from a touch of arhritus in my left hand, im in good health, got myself a decent pup,

Posted Images

The good life for me is knowing the family wants for nothing as we need nothing other than what's around us and business is good.Work is overrated though I've found as I've got older ,your a long time dead so just get out and enjoy the countryside with dog by your side, or 100 yards in front lol.

Wouldn't change my life for anything ,beautiful surroundings ,two beautiful kids and a wife that's more easy going than I am ,lol.

• Like 8

I think it's about enjoying each small step at a time. We aren't self-sufficient at all, but one of my goals was to eat a meal that we hadn't bought in the shops. Last year we had a couple of barbecues with trout I'd caught and spuds and beans Trish had grown. The only thing we bought was the butter and seasoning. Tasted good. :thumbs:

THUMBS

Sorry to put a damper on things but I have just had a bit of a reality check and thought I,d share it, a mate of mine that I have known for over thirty years, his wife ran off years ago and cleaned him out, he brought up two kids on his own until they have flown the nest then he met a nice Scottish girl and moved across the country to be with her they were due to sign for a new house today, but he phoned me last night in tatters and told me he was in hospital with pancreatic cancer only had a belly ache last week and now looks like he won't be coming home again and if he does it will just be to pass away, so for all those with a dream don't hang around grab it with both hands and go for it, and don't forget to tell your loved ones how you feel because tomorrow ain't a guarantee thing

• Like 12

Sorry to put a damper on things but I have just had a bit of a reality check and thought I,d share it, a mate of mine that I have known for over thirty years, his wife ran off years ago and cleaned him out, he brought up two kids on his own until they have flown the nest then he met a nice Scottish girl and moved across the country to be with her they were due to sign for a new house today, but he phoned me last night in tatters and told me he was in hospital with pancreatic cancer only had a belly ache last week and now looks like he won't be coming home again and if he does it will just be to pass away, so for all those with a dream don't hang around grab it with both hands and go for it, and don't forget to tell your loved ones how you feel because tomorrow ain't a guarantee thing

I'm really sorry to hear that, we've had a string of cancer diagnoses amongst our friends and family, amongst them a guy I used to go fishing with just got diagnosed with lung cancer and the daughter of my wife's friend who is just a young girl of 29 has been diagnosed with breast cancer.

I've enjoyed reading this thread thanks lads.

Just to add please love for today, we live sensibly but love travelling so that's what we do. We don't want for much but both work hard.

I work in health and it's a real leveller, when you have looked after people your age it makes you realise how we take life for granted.

All the best guys, live your dreams whatever they may be.

• Like 1

I have no time for folk who dont have dreams it shows a lack of ambition we should all try to be the best we can be physically,mentally or financially.......my brother is the worlds worst for settling for second best with a " what will be will be " attitude he had exactly the same upbringing as me and has moaned and whinged his way through life with no dreams,goals or aspirations.....im not perfect by any means but any goal i ever set myself i reached and then set bigger ones,plenty of bumps and bruises along the way but its all part of achieving in my opinion.

• Like 3

Sometimes though Gnash striving for more you can lose sight of what you actually have , I know 1 bloke who could make the Times Rich list & he is so driven he in my eyes doesn't enjoy what he's actually got !!

• Like 1

Sometimes though Gnash striving for more you can lose sight of what you actually have , I know 1 bloke who could make the Times Rich list & he is so driven he in my eyes doesn't enjoy what he's actually got !!

I think committing to family can also get in the way of Ambition for some, tough decisions have to be made. My best mate is often in two minds about it, a great highflying job travelling all over the world, but doesn't see his boy from one week to the next.......obviously he'll have a cracking pension at the end of it, but at what cost?

• Like 2

I think maybe 'living the dream' also depends on whether you're someone who's happy with 'enough', or you need 'full up'.... Satisfied vs Satiated.

Most of us can find joy in seeing a rainbow, and a sense of purpose in unblocking the drain.

It's about how much ego-centred pleasure and fulfilment you need/ want, and where you set the balance point against your loved ones and their needs. (Maybe whether you need loved ones?)

For me 'the dream' is finding that balance point. (She gave a hollow laugh).