Is There Any Need?

If the vets had their way they'd have every dog getting inoculated once a week,,,,,ker ching ££££££££££££££££££

I was always led to believe that a good healthy bitch will pass on her natural immunity to a pup and this will keep a pup safe 'till around 12 or so weeks of age so any inoculations before this is a waste of time and money.

Then an inoculation at 12 weeks followed by a booster at 14 weeks and this will do a dogs lifetime.

The vets will tell you otherwise but it's all about the money nowadays with them and there has been questions asked about the legalities of telling us that dogs MUST get a booster once a year.

There's even folk questioning the amount of dogs being spayed now and some think the vets are pushing spaying because it's a money spinner more than a welfare issue.

That might be true if you keep them at home till vac,but I I've seen pups from vac bitches die from being taken to parks and public areas before being vac themselves.Why risk a potentially great worker by being frugal.

Nothing to do with being frugal, but all to do with common sense.

Who in their right mind would bring a young pup to a public place anyway?

• Like 1

If the vets had their way they'd have every dog getting inoculated once a week,,,,,ker ching ££££££££££££££££££

I was always led to believe that a good healthy bitch will pass on her natural immunity to a pup and this will keep a pup safe 'till around 12 or so weeks of age so any inoculations before this is a waste of time and money.

Then an inoculation at 12 weeks followed by a booster at 14 weeks and this will do a dogs lifetime.

The vets will tell you otherwise but it's all about the money nowadays with them and there has been questions asked about the legalities of telling us that dogs MUST get a booster once a year.

There's even folk questioning the amount of dogs being spayed now and some think the vets are pushing spaying because it's a money spinner more than a welfare issue.

Regarding the yearly booster. A while since in the Daily Mail I read there was 50 named vets claiming yearly boosters being uncalled for. I for one have never had yearly boosters to dogs after 1st jabs. Vets in short IMO are conmen. Vets are also supposed to offer a prescription for meds that are non urgent. How many do?

• Like 1

Then if the 3rd shot is for lepto it sounds like the vets have isolated that from the others, whereas it used to be in the same injection as the others.

So can we presume that down the line it will go like this

1st week = Parvo = ££

2nd week= distemper= ££

and so on because that's what it sounds like to me.

I can buy the lot in the chemist for 11 euro and the chemist is still making his profit on that. So for a vet to do the exact same job is 60 or so euro. Nice profit.

And now by law we've to go to the vet for a prescription before we can go to the chemist and get the inoculations.

That's why so many lads are now buying cheap crap from China etc.

Only last year I was told that Parvo was rampant in the Greyhound game even though the infected dogs had been injected. But with what ?

That's why I would rather go to the vet now after buying the cheap one £20 for the 2 then ended up with the pup catching parvo and cost us £1100 at the vets for drips,the week in getting looked after all through the nigh and the food to help him get some weight back on.as for the 3rd jab they say it's a better injection to the 1 that does both.

I paid £99 for jabs for life due my pup.

My vet said the third jab was optional as it for a new strain of lepto but as he is a ratter he must have it (makes sense).

Also, this is a chain of vets, they gave me a credit card type card to prove I'd paid for jabs for life. If I had a more than one dog I could drive to the next nearest vet and get the other dog done there under the same name... but obviously that's very dishonest... lol

£34 for yearly booster at my vets, 3 dogs so about £100 a year, or 27p per day, worth it for a bit of peace of mind imo although back in the day I used to get mine of Frenchy for £3 a pop lol

Cheers, D.

My own vet, who I've been with for over 25 years as they are country vets and not only very good at their job but understand working dogs too, said that yearly boosters are unnecessary, though they do advise giving the first booster at just over a year old just in case.

You can also do blood tests to see what level of immunity your dog has, which obviously costs a bit, but for those who are worried about the possible effects of yearly boosters might be the way to go. I once had to take a terrier to the vet for an unrelated reason, and they had to do blood tests to rule various things out, and found that her immunity to Parvo was through the roof despite never having had any jabs except the puppy ones.

• Like 1

I always have them done at the vets-mates used to get them cheap-they would always lose dogs -madness they go out source tidy stuff and pay good money only to spend £10 on cheap jabs to watch a pup die.plenty of promising young dogs lost because folk to tight or paranoid to go to vets.atb dc

My own vet, who I've been with for over 25 years as they are country vets and not only very good at their job but understand working dogs too, said that yearly boosters are unnecessary, though they do advise giving the first booster at just over a year old just in case.

You can also do blood tests to see what level of immunity your dog has, which obviously costs a bit, but for those who are worried about the possible effects of yearly boosters might be the way to go. I once had to take a terrier to the vet for an unrelated reason, and they had to do blood tests to rule various things out, and found that her immunity to Parvo was through the roof despite never having had any jabs except the puppy ones.

The blood tests cost the same as the booster injections here so the vet still makes the same , so a lot of folk still inject there dog or play a guessing game if they dont

Well as I have pre paid for them my thoughts are that I might as well have the boosters every year.

Also in the price is a check up every 6 months - not necessary really as I would like to think I would know if there was something up with the dog

Parvo was going about my area not so long ago and killing dogs with and without jabs most off the digs didn't have them though, bothe mine got a little ill for around two weeks and am sure it was that but they where fine my thoughts are they would have been pts if they didn't have there jabs they can still get it but have a better chance of surviving with jabs. The vets must have been rubbing there hands with all the locals flooding in getting boosters and first jabs.

The amount of fully vaccinated mutts ive seen die through parvo and distemper around this locality.The best dog vet around this area,Skipton,advised a few of us years ago that it was a waste of brass to vaccinate the dogs and he never vaccinated any of his.Ive lost dogs that where vaccinated,ive lost less dogs that were not and ive not vaccinated a dog in over 30 years.Ill wager more folk than me have seen vaccinated mutts sicken and die with what they have been vaccinated against and many more vaccinated pups that have survived something they have never come into conflict with.Its a given factor that its become compulsory to vaccinate the mutts and its an act of stupidity not to,the facts are it does not equate in the real world.