Hello,

I allways liked the traditional german hunting cutlass, shell guard, sambar stag frog sheath.

So I recently started on a traditional hunting cutlass, the steel is ordered but didn't arrive yet, so I started with the shell guard from 6mm wrought iron.

Several hours of filing filing and more filing..

hirschfaenger_1.jpg

Here the filed shell, ready to be bent to a 90º

hirschfaenger_2.jpg

heating up the guard...

hirschfaenger_3.jpg

Here the finished shell, blued for testing

Now I'm waiting for the steel...

Regards

Nicolas

• Like 6

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello, the basic grind is done, one day it could look like this     Regards Nicolas

It's finished!!!! 23cm blade from 6mm 1.2510, iron guard, pommel and ferrule 670gr Handle from Sambar and buffalo. Regards Nicolas

Hello, I allways liked the traditional german hunting cutlass, shell guard, sambar stag frog sheath. So I recently started on a traditional hunting cutlass, the steel is ordered but didn't arrive ye

Posted Images

Thank you Gruffalo!

This is a long term project as I still need the steel (allready ordered) and a nice piece of sambar.

I'll make two knives, one with 30cm blade from 1.2604 in 6,2mm and another one with 23cm blade from 1.2842 in 6,4mm (if I remember right).

This is how I want the cutlass

post-88652-0-21496600-1493228777_thumb.jpg

Regards

Nicolas

• Like 2

You may have seen it, this guy on BB has done a nice Bowie with a shell/ sambar handle, may be of interest to you. http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?211764-A-9-quot-Bowie-in-1080-Sambar-stag-with-a-D-Lisch-style-split-ring-guard

Griff

Thank you Gruffalo!

That's an impressive Bowie! I will solder the guard and screw down the pommel with an anchor to prevent stress on the tang.

...still waiting for the steel :(

Regards

Nicolas

Re- Solder- in a conversation on another forum I mentioned either silver soldering or brazing a bolster onto a blade. One of the others (who is a blade-smith) said that taking the blade, or even a part of it, to the necessary temperature would spoil the temper of the blade. Now you obviously know what you are on about SP, what do you think ?

• Like 1

Re- Solder- in a conversation on another forum I mentioned either silver soldering or brazing a bolster onto a blade. One of the others (who is a blade-smith) said that taking the blade, or even a part of it, to the necessary temperature would spoil the temper of the blade. Now you obviously know what you are on about SP, what do you think ?

Hello, I don't use silver hard solder as used in jewlery, I use soft solder with a 6% of silver, (as Randall, Behring, etc, too) it will melt at 230ºC wich is right the annealing temperature of the steel (or even a little below).

So this kind of soldering will not affect the steel, grain or temper.

I protext the blade with a damp cloth so the thin edge, wich could get hotter, is protected.

Regards

Nicolas

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello,

today I went on with the hunting cutlass!

Finishing the guard, bending the lugs, soldering it to the blade..

Tomorrow I'll do the ferrule and start with the handle.

Later I'll decorate the lugs with shells, as well.

hirschfaenger_5.jpg.ef9f0e831728942d58456a475f861cd6.jpg

hirschfaenger_6.jpg.1265b405bac1b72c97d736cd42d45e77.jpg

hirschfaenger_7.jpg.7a39b1dcbeac99a30b3dcf88a2a5733d.jpg

hirschfaenger_8.jpg.6e4258bc479bdd213129f033c6c12526.jpg

Regards

Nicolas

• Like 5