Hi fellas,

Interested in your thoughts/comments about your dogs and vaccinations.

Do any of you not vaccinate your dogs?

I appreciate that today with an increase in disease etc vaccinations certainly do appear to have their place, especially in areas where our dogs will be in contact with other dogs ( that may have disease), areas where disease is more likely to be found or other instances.

However, if vaccines are meant solely to protect pups/dogs etc from disease that other dogs have, is it necessary if we are not in contact, or live secluded from urban environments where such diseases only exist?

To illustrate.

It's common for humans when traveling abroad to parts of the world where say malaria exists to get a vaccine for that which makes sense. However would you decide to just take a regular vaccine for malaria if you were not traveling abroad, just in case? Surely this would have a detrimental effect on your immune system especially as contact with the disease is extremely unlikely?

I appreciate dogs are different. I have a couple more thoughts on it, but would be interested in any thoughts/experiences you have?

All the best

Neobliviscaris

Yes you should. Responsibility is why. If your dog gets something, you owe it to others to not spread diseases.

You can't be vaccinated against Malaria.

Most people vaccinate their pups, usually one time only.

If you're dogs were never going to come into contact with other dogs or walk on land where other dogs have EVER been or a stray dog could possibly access then there probably wouldn't be a need.

But I don't know anywhere where you could say for 100% certainty that the above scenario exists. So I would get them jabbed.

As for your comparison abour malaria. We don't have malaria carrying mosquitos in the UK but we do have parvo, distemper etc, parvo can live on the land for up to 2 years according to some studies and distemper is airborne I believe.

• Like 1

Point taken and i do agree with you.

Working dogs certainly differ from other dogs, their generally healthier stronger and bred as such.

When you research the increase in conditions, allergies, cancers etc that plague many animals which are generally associated with immune issues, then you have to question why that is.

I agree that vaccinating pups is absolutely necessary. It's interesting when you consider that a vaccination is in fact a live virus that affects the immune system, seems logical that this would play a role in the decrease in health of animals that frequently take such vaccines rather than improve health.

Neobliviscaris

Point taken and i do agree with you.

Working dogs certainly differ from other dogs, their generally healthier stronger and bred as such.

When you research the increase in conditions, allergies, cancers etc that plague many animals which are generally associated with immune issues, then you have to question why that is.

I agree that vaccinating pups is absolutely necessary. It's interesting when you consider that a vaccination is in fact a live virus that affects the immune system, seems logical that this would play a role in the decrease in health of animals that frequently take such vaccines rather than improve health.

Neobliviscaris

After reading you last sentence I would recommend reading this.

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2014/08/routine-vaccinations-for-dogs-cats-trying-to-make-evidence-based-decisions/

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I live out on the moors in Devon but each year more and more people are coming up in the summer instead of the beach so although I don't have the yearly jabs I am starting to consider it as the amount of dogs that come up there now. Trouble is you can do everything you can but it dosnt mean the next man will