Black And Tan

the lakey is at the hands of the workers who own thems mercy, if theyre such great workers then the owners should do their best to keep the future below ground, no point saying pity when its too late, theres bound to be enough yards with enough to keep them going. good luck to the working lakeland

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Long gone now, got some good digging with that dog over the years.

On reading through this thread I remembered something that I read in terriers and terrier men. In the part where Maurice bell is asked "what type of terrier do you keep" his reply was " fell type lak

Nice dogs Liam and general one of my young ones just started this year

Posted Images

Was Plummers book 'the fell terrier' accurate?

No
Struck me as a decent & thorough account of fell terrier origins and history including pics of each terriermans/hunts dogs. None of which conform to a certain type. Which terriermen should not have been included?

What the fcuk is a name anyway, if they do the job then they earn the right to be called a Lakey, they are a type anyways so what does it matter.....

Well said DM. Thats my point workin terriers are more of a type than a breed. If lads were more interested in working em and less about conformation, the working 'lakies' would be in safe hands!
  • Like 2

2005 unbelievable nose on this bitch from day one, work till 14.

attachicon.gifmeg.jpeg

attachicon.gifmg.jpeg

its possible to get this type back wide spread again just line with hard jadgs and breed back again to the above type of terrier bitch or dog cull hard and go again in 15 to 20 yrs ur line of working type lakies would be strong again.dug too a black and tan dog for a fare few yrs very like the picture of the bitch above.he was good hard dog that very rarely took a backward step.i didnt own him but it was a joy to c him work.the dog was an alagator.one of the very best ive seen.

Has said the only reason for culling any working terrier should be if it don't stay to dug to,all this spanning bull shit and it's coats not right to big to small is why theres so much shit being bred.does it work if not cull end of story.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifBrendans dogs 005.jpgOld type Lakeland

Looks nothing like an olde type Lakey,except some of the colour.Seriously if folk look at these type of pictures and imagine it represents the working lakeys that where evident less than 3 decades ago its a poor reflection on the lakey kennels now.

I'd sooner have one of Liams than a gassy bag of shit that masquerades as a lakeland these days-work ethic before rosettes any day in my book mort.atb dcattachicon.gifBlackhearts Dogs 034.jpg

Im a massive Lakey fan and don,t have much patience for any terrier that masquerades as anything other than a terrier,yet the mutt he depicted bore little resemblance to a olde type Lakey and thats a fact.If you quote old type depict old type and not another run of the mill working terrier that is bred towards a Lakey.If the lads mutts graft thats all that counts and ill bang his drum louder than most,its not a Lakeland more of a Lakey type.

Morton you have me confused and maybe yourself too? For a massive lakey fan is not a working strain the most important factor? You mention lakeys three decades ago which is only 30 years. To me this is when they started in some quarters to demise with the obvious influence of KC blood by prominent dog men. The shape, colour and most important working ability changed and not for the best. The new type lakey turned into the fashionable type for a lot of would be digging men?

I am lost as to what you consider a "true" lakeland terrier? A photo would help me understand.

If you look at the old photos of lakeland (fell) terriers pre 1900's they were non discript type of all shapes and sizes depending on the village they came from which is typical of a working strain. The "breed" club was only formed in 1912 and UK registered in 1921. Then two types existed. Working and Show types. It probably took another decade or three years for the seperation to further develop between the two types until they became quite distinct from each other with 2 world wars in between which would have inhibited any breed development.

Then by the time men like Middleton got their hands on old working stock from the men before him and the 1970-80's the look of the working type again took a distinct turn as noted above. But for me all the time working dog men (typical of what Liam has) infused what they felt was for the betterment of the "working" dog. So for me a dog that throws towards a lakeland type is a working lakeland. There was nothing too typical about them when the Bells had them nor now amongst proper working dog men not too caught up breeding purebred stock.

Working dog men have and will continue to bred-in working attributes and breed back again to the route stock. Good on Liam and Kirstydad for what looks like working lakeland types to me. Sure is not a strain a type of dog?

P.S. not looking for an arguement just a discussion.

• Like 7

He was out of a repeat breeding of her's. The bitch in the 2012 picture is out of him, I've a better sister and a brother working from that.

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 2