Black And Tan

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Long gone now, got some good digging with that dog over the years.

On reading through this thread I remembered something that I read in terriers and terrier men. In the part where Maurice bell is asked "what type of terrier do you keep" his reply was " fell type lak

Nice dogs Liam and general one of my young ones just started this year

Posted Images

I'd sooner have one of Liams than a gassy bag of shit that masquerades as a lakeland these days-work ethic before rosettes any day in my book mort.atb dcattachicon.gifBlackhearts Dogs 034.jpg

Im a massive Lakey fan and don,t have much patience for any terrier that masquerades as anything other than a terrier,yet the mutt he depicted bore little resemblance to a olde type Lakey and thats a fact.If you quote old type depict old type and not another run of the mill working terrier that is bred towards a Lakey.If the lads mutts graft thats all that counts and ill bang his drum louder than most,its not a Lakeland more of a Lakey type.

I'd rather have liams type of Lakeland rather than the rosette type

In the not to distant past Lakelands that resembled Lakelands grafted to a level most terriers never reached,except Bedlingtons :boogy:.The vast majority of folk that wished for a working Lakey in the not to distant past had little interest in a red,yellow or blue ribbon.id rather own Liams type of terrier,yet they do not resemble the Lakeys of old and thats what he depicted them as.

In the not to distant past Lakelands that resembled Lakelands grafted to a level most terriers never reached,except Bedlingtons :boogy:.The vast majority of folk that wished for a working Lakey in the not to distant past had little interest in a red,yellow or blue ribbon.id rather own Liams type of terrier,yet they do not resemble the Lakeys of old and thats what he depicted them as.

show me one

Morton genuine question : what is a lakeland? What does one look like? Was the real lakeland not a fell terrier. a type that came in all shapes and sizes Red, Black and Black and Tan rough, broken and maybe even smooth coated?

Lakey and Fell to me depict the same type of terrier and at one time they conformed to a standard type and shape,with a little colour variance.You only need to look at many of the books,pics etc. that depict the lineage and virtues of the Lakeys/Fells of olde to establish an idea of the conformation of the terriers of that age and they were likes peas in a pod for millenia until the advent of the ribbon and dollar.Liams mutts do not depict the Lakey/Fell that i knew and know.

Morton genuine question : what is a lakeland? What does one look like? Was the real lakeland not a fell terrier. a type that came in all shapes and sizes Red, Black and Black and Tan rough, broken and maybe even smooth coated?

Lakey and Fell to me depict the same type of terrier and at one time they conformed to a standard type and shape,with a little colour variance.You only need to look at many of the books,pics etc. that depict the lineage and virtues of the Lakeys/Fells of olde to establish an idea of the conformation of the terriers of that age and they were likes peas in a pod for millenia until the advent of the ribbon and dollar.Liams mutts do not depict the Lakey/Fell that i knew and know.
liams mutts not showy enough Morton

show me one

Frain is frowned upon for many a good reason,yet his book illustrates the terriers of the time and you need only a cursory glance at the Fell/Lakeys in his useless scribblings to scratch at the worth of the Fell terriers depicted.The Lakey i have at heel and the few before grew away from their lineage with every generation because of the dross that pollutes their modern lineage,much of which is non Lakey orientated,id love to throw the bitch i have here back to her ancestry,in truth it would be a wasted effort and ill not breed from her.The lakey is as much a dead breed as the Border,Bedlington and Russel,just because we own something that nearly resembles the breed does not mean we are the breeds salvation and as much as we value the likes of Liams working contribution to the mutts he has in his kennel they are not Lakelands.You need only look at the ridiculous price the average "working" lakey commands now to acknowledge the level the breed as sank to,the more expensive a breed becomes the more working useless it follows.

• Like 1

liams mutts not showy enough Morton

Possibly the least important factor id seek in a terrier is the ribbon factor,ive won a few shows with a Lakey,ive won a lot more with a lurcher,ive walked away from many a ring without a ribbon and a terrier that was Beddy influenced and had no working equal in the ring,thus id possibly own an affinity with Liam most on here could not.Showy?behave.