Black And Tan

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Long gone now, got some good digging with that dog over the years.

On reading through this thread I remembered something that I read in terriers and terrier men. In the part where Maurice bell is asked "what type of terrier do you keep" his reply was " fell type lak

Nice dogs Liam and general one of my young ones just started this year

Posted Images

Tandragee was great, one of the earlier shows in the year, memories of that show that stick out for me was the strong dog class and the lurcher jumping, I remember a chocolate/ liver collie xthe heights he was scaling was unreal. A pile of us headed up from Newry, had a great day out, then back home to the pub for far too much drink, good craic tho,

I see your from Newry. There's a lad in Newry who used to have a very useful family of Lakelands that used to throw up a few blue ones.

He doesn't have them now but was yours one of them ?

And Len, Moira has always been a well run good show but it never had the strongdogs show up for it that used to appear at Tandragee.

The way I see it is that back then there was around 3 very good shows in the North, (forget about anything Seamus ran as they were for the showman,) that used to attract the proper dogmen with their dogs.

In the South there was really only the Sweep Bar show ran by Pat and Foxy and that was a great show, although John Kelly (R.I.P.)used to run great shows but John would run one this year and not the next year but when John ran a show EVERYONE who attended was invited in for a free dinner afterwards !!!!!

Then there was the couple of gamefairs and Adair in Limerick was a serious show for working dogs but is no longer running.

We used to say that you'd go to a show to catch up with lads you hadn't seen since last year but here in Ireland there's that many shows on that I'd say folk are sick of looking at each other come Autumn.

Edited by neil cooney

Yes Neil there was a strain of Lakeland brought to Newry I believe in from Dundalk, a few of us had them, they were known to throw the occasional chocolate one. The grandfather of the one I had was chocolate, one bark if even, near mute and any fox was dead if you didn't get in quick enough. Mine wasn't a fox killer but he worked them tight, grips on most. Not sure of the blue, but they were hell of strain, gone now I believe.

• Like 1

Yes Neil there was a strain of Lakeland brought to Newry I believe in from Dundalk, a few of us had them, they were known to throw the occasional chocolate one. The grandfather of the one I had was chocolate, one bark if even, near mute and any fox was dead if you didn't get in quick enough. Mine wasn't a fox killer but he worked them tight, grips on most. Not sure of the blue, but they were hell of strain, gone now I believe.

Done plenty over the years with the Newry and mourne lads, I'd say we know each other well lol. Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 1

Unfortunately Newry got some unwanted attention this week with some absolute Imbecile throwing what looks like a Russell into the canal tied to a brick. USPCA offering 500 quid reward to catch the Culprit. of course as per norm they are claiming the dog had shown signs of work.

or a set up done by themselves.

This is exactly what I thought when I read the post, the

antis / tree huggers play dirty and have done so from day one, it's taking the powers that be an awful long time to waken up to the fact that hunting equals conservation. Now they have found bovine tb in Scotland, wakey wakey.

• Like 1

Lurcher killed a fox with us one day at start of the season. I brought the fox back to the dog box and let the beagles have a good rag at the carcass. One the young lads was recording it and put it on FB. Long story short antis put it on the Sunday World the lies they spouted were unreal. 'live fox used to blood fighting dogs was one headline. I'd put nothing past them

Never known the reason why anyone would record anything legal or not in this day and age

Some clowns feel they just have to show what there mutts are capable of doing and 90% of the same lads dont last a season at the game.I have been told of some of the stuff that is put up on FB and its a f***ing disgrace,serve the c**ts right if they got a knock on the door and a damn good fine,might teach them a lesson,its the likes of these c**ts that will get good lads in trouble.

• Like 13