Black And Tan

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Long gone now, got some good digging with that dog over the years.

On reading through this thread I remembered something that I read in terriers and terrier men. In the part where Maurice bell is asked "what type of terrier do you keep" his reply was " fell type lak

Nice dogs Liam and general one of my young ones just started this year

Posted Images

I had a real usefull little lakey bitch years ago that could be droped in any earth as she was fox only and would not stay with badger pre-ban.She was nothing special to look at,rough wirey coat,black n tan in colour but a great little worker.She done 3 days to ground once on badgers pre-ban in heavy snow and storms and as it was also pre locator we could not locate her but she eventually came away and made her way to the farmers house who straight away came and got me.She had taken a hell of a lot of punishment but after a very long lay off she recovered.Her bottom jaw had been broken and it reset a little to one side but she could eat and drink without difficulty and as she was just over 3 year old at the time i decided to try her to ground again co,me the following season.She entered no prob but only done about 5 minutes and came away and this happened each time she was tried on badger so we knew her days of working badger PRE-BAN were finished.She was not over big so it was decided to give her a go at fox as they were worth good money for the pelts at that time.She had done a few fox before her ordeal in the snow and dealt with them easily and it turned out that this was to be her future for another 9 years before she died,a few of here dug over her and will remember her.I bred her once to a 3/4 lakey xfell and she produced a couple of real good workers,one in particular a dog called Bonzo which a friend of mine had that also worked into old age.A round the year 2000 i was gifted a nice lakey bitch from a chap in NI and she was cominy on nicely then one night some scumy b*****ds robbed all my dogs,that was the last working lakey i had or for that matter seen.

• Like 9

I had a real usefull little lakey bitch years ago that could be droped in any earth as she was fox only and would not stay with badger pre-ban.She was nothing special to look at,rough wirey coat,black n tan in colour but a great little worker.She done 3 days to ground once on badgers pre-ban in heavy snow and storms and as it was also pre locator we could not locate her but she eventually came away and made her way to the farmers house who straight away came and got me.She had taken a hell of a lot of punishment but after a very long lay off she recovered.Her bottom jaw had been broken and it reset a little to one side but she could eat and drink without difficulty and as she was just over 3 year old at the time i decided to try her to ground again co,me the following season.She entered no prob but only done about 5 minutes and came away and this happened each time she was tried on badger so we knew her days of working badger PRE-BAN were finished.She was not over big so it was decided to give her a go at fox as they were worth good money for the pelts at that time.She had done a few fox before her ordeal in the snow and dealt with them easily and it turned out that this was to be her future for another 9 years before she died,a few of here dug over her and will remember her.I bred her once to a 3/4 lakey xfell and she produced a couple of real good workers,one in particular a dog called Bonzo which a friend of mine had that also worked into old age.A round the year 2000 i was gifted a nice lakey bitch from a chap in NI and she was cominy on nicely then one night some scumy b*****ds robbed all my dogs,that was the last working lakey i had or for that matter seen.

I had one about 07, hes was half decent. theyre around but thin on the ground, seen 4 bitches work and they done well. was out on trial with a we bitch that was blind in her left eye, she was for sale right up until she flew to ground and we dug a huge dog fox with her then the words nah il prob keep her now, lolol, he obviously thought she was a tube. she turned out a great bitch

• Like 1

2005 unbelievable nose on this bitch from day one, work till 14.

attachicon.gifmeg.jpeg

attachicon.gifmg.jpeg

its possible to get this type back wide spread again just line with hard jadgs and breed back again to the above type of terrier bitch or dog cull hard and go again in 15 to 20 yrs ur line of working type lakies would be strong again.dug too a black and tan dog for a fare few yrs very like the picture of the bitch above.he was good hard dog that very rarely took a backward step.i didnt own him but it was a joy to c him work.the dog was an alagator.one of the very best ive seen.

Then you'd be breeding just for colours?

The type will always exist but colours might change.

Better to breed for the type of worker you want rather than colours surely? I want find anywhere, do whatever needs doing to back up and stay till the end, don't mind what coat or colour they have. Breed from the best you can. B

• Like 2

I was recently looking at some old photos and found one of you and ol' Pat K. washing "Tiny" in a stream after a dig. Maybe her last dig.

As for the Lakeland bitch that got stolen on you ?

If I remember correctly that family of Lakelands used to produce a lot of blue coloured terriers with coats on them like a coconut shell.

I was recently looking at some old photos and found one of you and ol' Pat K. washing "Tiny" in a stream after a dig. Maybe her last dig.

As for the Lakeland bitch that got stolen on you ?

If I remember correctly that family of Lakelands used to produce a lot of blue coloured terriers with coats on them like a coconut shell.

I actually collected that lakey bitch as a pup at yours Neil,P,M bred her.

• Like 1

2005 unbelievable nose on this bitch from day one, work till 14.

attachicon.gifmeg.jpeg

attachicon.gifmg.jpeg

its possible to get this type back wide spread again just line with hard jadgs and breed back again to the above type of terrier bitch or dog cull hard and go again in 15 to 20 yrs ur line of working type lakies would be strong again.dug too a black and tan dog for a fare few yrs very like the picture of the bitch above.he was good hard dog that very rarely took a backward step.i didnt own him but it was a joy to c him work.the dog was an alagator.one of the very best ive seen.

Then you'd be breeding just for colours?

The type will always exist but colours might change.

Better to breed for the type of worker you want rather than colours surely? I want find anywhere, do whatever needs doing to back up and stay till the end, don't mind what coat or colour they have. Breed from the best you can. B

byran i think ur missing my point their are a lot of jadgs that are working in europe at the moment i reckon the breed is in a healthier state than the run of the mill lakie. with the inclusion of the right type hard working jadg too a working lakie bitch and take it from their.sure their very alike in body make up,i am not too interested in what colour comes out of the cross either black and tan,red and tan or fawn and tan.i just think the jadg is whats needed to add that extra bit of steel to the lakeland who in my opnion far too often just make a top class fox dog and cracks on the boyo.in short i think the jadg is very alike too a mali or dutch shepard for its hunt drive and fight drive and i think that trait could be a good thing for the breed.the last lakie i had was in an around 20 yrs ago red in colour and had a coat almost like wire wool that dog took a lot off punishment.i take ur point about breed from the best lakies but when all that i see around are and only good fox dogs something has gone astray.i would not keep one again in my yard.too the die hard working lakie man i hope he see my point.

• Like 1

On reading through this thread I remembered something that I read in terriers and terrier men. In the part where Maurice bell is asked "what type of terrier do you keep" his reply was " fell type lake lands " and when you look at the pictures of his dogs they were red or black, rough and smooth. That about sums it up for me fells, Lake lands, patterdales all the same dogs just a different direction. So I for one won't be putting no shitty arsed jagd across my bitches, one of which is black and tan with a good broKen coat, the other which is a black scruffy rough coated f****r.I'll be putting home grown tried and tested digging dogs over them and you lot can call them what you like.

• Like 14

On reading through this thread I remembered something that I read in terriers and terrier men. In the part where Maurice bell is asked "what type of terrier do you keep" his reply was " fell type lake lands " and when you look at the pictures of his dogs they were red or black, rough and smooth. That about sums it up for me fells, Lake lands, patterdales all the same dogs just a different direction. So I for one won't be putting no shitty arsed jagd across my bitches, one of which is black and tan with a good broKen coat, the other which is a black scruffy rough coated f****r.I'll be putting home grown tried and tested digging dogs over them and you lot can call them what you like.

ur right to not put a shitty arse jadgs across ur bitches.thats why u line ur bitches with hard as iron jadgs and take it from their.ill leave it that.