Hi, yes it’s been a while since I've looked for a new gun, work taking up most of my time, with may be a few days shooting now and then with friends but now the time as come when I want do more hunting as I love the sport as you see above I am a bit stuck

on which rifle to buy, as you and others rightly point out it comes down to what is wanted from the gun, I like clean kills unlike some youtube hot shots who shoot beyond the capably of the gun and scope, so I asked my question just to get a clearer understanding of what others thoughts on different types of gun and bullets, and I thank everyone for their help

Best Regards,,,,,Will

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Allegedly over 5,000,000 10/22 have been sold worldwide, so no need to buy one, just ask all the owners here if you can have all their surplus original parts after they have bought the vast amount of

Not the 1022 that's for sure !

3 completely different tools.   What do you want / need it to do?   Cz lr bolt action - quiet, accurate, 100 yard gun for bunny, good but not great as a target / range gun.   17 hornet - fox

Hi, yes it’s been a while since I've looked for a new gun, work taking up most of my time, with maybe a few days shooting now and then with friends but now the time as come when I want do more hunting as I love the sport as you see above I am a bit stuck on which rifle to buy, as you and others rightly point out it comes down to what is wanted from the gun, I like clean kills unlike some youtube hot shots who shoot beyond the capably of the gun and scope, So I thank everyone who has given their input on guns and bullets, it's been a great help to get others points of view,

Best Regards,,,, Will

Again thank you, looks good from what I've read never even looked at this one as I say there are so many options and I'm sure they all have there place and if it was down I would have one of each, but as it stands I must pick one and believe me that's the hard part,

Best Regards to all ,,,Will

Being interested in everything to do with guns and shooting I took it on myself to look up your question on the web "cost of reloading a ruger 204 compared to 17 hornet and found this go to www.shoot forum.com/ Approximate cost reloading ruger 204

I hope this is of help in answering your question

Best Regards,,,Will

If you fancy a semi auto, look round for a Magtech 7002 .22lr. It won't break the bank. I've had mine for 10 years and it's still knocking over bunnies. Since using Winchester 42 grain subs, I've had zero recycling problems. I've used a 10/22 in the US, not a patch on the Magtech.

With a Career 707 .22 carbine PCP FAC at 28 ft lbs, the Magtech and a CZ452 HMR Varmint with 16 inch barrel, I'm just about set up for all the bunny bashing I do, although I'm waiting for a variation for a .17 WSM.

Edited by kenj

Most people who say semi autos are rubbish usually have never owned one, I have a 10/22 had it for years and whilst i wouldnt go as far to say its as accurate as a bolt action let me remind everyone .22 rimfire ammunition isn't exactly the the most accurate round out there. I can also shoot three rabbits to a bolt action shooters one in terms of time.

I have consistently shot rabbits from short ranges up to 120 yards with no problem. Trigger is rubbish out of the box but there are several videos on youtube about how to sort that out (if you are competent with a bit of an engineering mind) if not take it to a gun smith.

Strange thing ive found is mine doesnt like to be cleaned until it gets really fouled, biggest issue I have is the 10 shot magazine because of the wax on the .22 this can clog and needs a gentle tap (or clean) to recycle properly BUT this isn't the norm.

I had a CZ HMR and got rid anything above a subsonic rimfire is going to make a noise and mine scattered the rabbits everytinme I pulled the trigger, I also found it terrible in windy conditions so I sold it. CZ great rifle though.

To summarise my experienceis the 10/22 is a great tool for rabbit control and mine is very accurate, also remember over 5 million of these rifles have been sold world wide so if they weren't any good I doubt they would have sold so many eh?

I had a CZ HMR and got rid anything above a subsonic rimfire is going to make a noise and mine scattered the rabbits everytinme I pulled the trigger, I also found it terrible in windy conditions so I sold it. CZ great rifle though.

.....................................................................................................

Not quite sure what you are suggesting, but I hear this all the time, and agreed, the HMR can/does have issues in wind, but the vast majority of .22lr ammo actually has worse problems in the same conditions!

:thumbs:

To summarise my experienceis the 10/22 is a great tool for rabbit control and mine is very accurate, also remember over 5 million of these rifles have been sold world wide so if they weren't any good I doubt they would have sold so many eh?

Accuracy, while not as good as a bolt is not my main issue with using a semi in the field.

Spent brass on the floor, more noise and a rifle that is a royal pain in the arse to make safe (especially at night) as you cannot stop it chamfering a round.

When I used my old semi in the field under the lamp I spent more time dropping mags to unload the rifle (then sticking the round back in the mag again) than I did taking quick follow up shots.

Under nv with the bolt action I've taken plenty of 2's, 3's and a couple of 4's over the years and have kept track of all my spent brass, left the rifle safe afterwards and the loudest noise out there was bunny heads getting slapped by an eley sub.

I'm not saying a semi auto is the wrong choice - I am saying it isn't (in my opinion) the best gun for field use.

You can drop extremely lucky and get a 10/22 that is great out of the box but most need a fair bit of fettling / aftermarket parts to get them as accurate as any half decent bolt action

.....................................................................................................

Not quite sure what you are suggesting, but I hear this all the time, and agreed, the HMR can/does have issues in wind, but the vast majority of .22lr ammo actually has worse problems in the same conditions!

:thumbs:

I'm suggesting I found it a problem in windy conditions and you may be correct regarding.22lr as I'm no ballistics expert however my experience leaves me with the opinion the HMR was poor when it was windy.

ATB

Accuracy, while not as good as a bolt is not my main issue with using a semi in the field.

Spent brass on the floor, more noise and a rifle that is a royal pain in the arse to make safe (especially at night) as you cannot stop it chamfering a round.

When I used my old semi in the field under the lamp I spent more time dropping mags to unload the rifle (then sticking the round back in the mag again) than I did taking quick follow up shots.

Under nv with the bolt action I've taken plenty of 2's, 3's and a couple of 4's over the years and have kept track of all my spent brass, left the rifle safe afterwards and the loudest noise out there was bunny heads getting slapped by an eley sub.

I'm not saying a semi auto is the wrong choice - I am saying it isn't (in my opinion) the best gun for field use.

You can drop extremely lucky and get a 10/22 that is great out of the box but most need a fair bit of fettling / aftermarket parts to get them as accurate as any half decent bolt action

I've never found a safety a problem with the 10/22. I wouldn't unchamber a round once I'd finished shooting, I would remove the mag and fire the chambered round safely.

I have only owned one 10/22 so I don't have experience of any others all I can say is mine has been superb and doesn't warrant the "you couldn't hit a barn door with it" brigade from the criticism (not directed to anyone on the thread I hasten to say)

Allegedly over 5,000,000 10/22 have been sold worldwide, so no need to buy one, just ask all the owners here if you can have all their surplus original parts after they have bought the vast amount of after market upgrades available, and you will have enough bits to build loads.

ATB!

:laugh::thumbs:

• Like 3