Good Start To This Years Yakking

Well lads after a decent winter of running the dogs and exercising the ferrets it was good to be sat back on the kayak on bank holiday monday.

My mate was back home for a few days so I got him out as well, living in the South of France he weren't too keen on our freezing weather... I thought it was positively balmy!! lol

Anyhow it was only to be a short trip, so we got out on the estuary hoping for a bass or 2 and some flounder.

We got out to a regular mark on the edge of the main channel bang on high water, and it was slow going... after an hour or so my mate informed me he had to head in as he was having lunch with his family at midday ( think he'd got chilly tbh the poor love lol)... so without a fish to his name I waved him off, the tide was now starting to run and I had half a dozen fresh peeler left... no way was I going in yet..

Well he was still in sight when a decent rattle on the rod resulted to a hook up and it felt like a decent fish, certainly wasn't a flounder... I thought a half decent bass maybe... but when it broke surface I was delighted to see a nice Gilthead bream..there's been more and more caught over the last few years from trhe Exe estuary and we had a couple last year when we took air gun ant and the gang out for the weekend trip..

I was made up with this one though, a nice early season fish so hopefully we get a real good run this year, and with a blanket ban on taking any bass a tasty fish to take home..

BREAM_zpsjfubbn3x.png

I was getting a few bites now, it usually picks up once the tide is running, I would guess mainly small bass as I couldn't connect.

Then I had a solid bang, followed by small rattles, I very slowly wound in suspecting a flounder had found the crab, as I wound I could feel the tee tale rattles as the fish followed the bait, then the rod arched as the hook took hold ( I still love flounder fishing) a short scrap and a flounder of a pound or so was boated, it was quite a long fish but felt spent, I'm guessing it was spawned out so wouldn't of been the best of eating fish so went back...

FLOUNDER_zpsvourkx28.png

That was about it for me and I headed back in, pretty happy from a short session..

I done the bream later, stuffed with ginger, garlic, chilli and coriander and had it on spicy noodles... was bloody lovely

TEA_zpskfhs0x1e.png

• Like 15

Cheers lads

If you're down for the comp Sean, I'll get you out on the kayaks with Geth on the Saturday morning.. we'll fish the estuary it's only a mile or 2 from where we're staying so there's a chance of a bream ending up on the barbie !!

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 2

ey up Kev Giltheads are a cracking fish to catch. We get them up here but ive only had them off the shore We never get them when we fish for plaice on the punt. Were you drifting or anchored up when you got it.

Wouldnt mind a try at yakking if there is a spare spot although ive never been on one so would probably spend half my time swimming. Be careful who you tell youre catching the gilts as the gill netters will be all over it if they think theirs a few about. They hammer the Fal and other rivers down here as soon as they know they are in.Most of it done illegally.

• Like 1

ey up Kev Giltheads are a cracking fish to catch. We get them up here but ive only had them off the shore We never get them when we fish for plaice on the punt. Were you drifting or anchored up when you got it.

Wouldnt mind a try at yakking if there is a spare spot although ive never been on one so would probably spend half my time swimming. Be careful who you tell youre catching the gilts as the gill netters will be all over it if they think theirs a few about. They hammer the Fal and other rivers down here as soon as they know they are in.Most of it done illegally.

Hello Bry, hope you're well.

Of course there's a spot for you mate, we'll try and get out early on the Saturday morning for a couple of hours as I know a few want to have a crack on the tidal as well, thought we could get on there mid morning till late afternoon, then back for a pint..

My cousin nets the river and he has told me about the Gilts for a few years but I've not hit on them much yet, I've a few spots where I'm confident there's a chance (if you can get through ten schoolies) and a couple further up river I want to try.

You'll have to bring your waggler rods for running a stick through on the tidal mate

• Like 1

Im not too bad mate thanks. Hope youre all ok at your end. I will bring a waggler rod to have a go at the mullet in the tidal mate. Sounds like my perfect day out that Kev, fishing followed by a few beers and a natter. Speak to you about anything you might need later.

• Like 1

Im not too bad mate thanks. Hope youre all ok at your end. I will bring a waggler rod to have a go at the mullet in the tidal mate. Sounds like my perfect day out that Kev, fishing followed by a few beers and a natter. Speak to you about anything you might need later.

I'm looking forward to it myself, hopefully it all comes together right...

I'll give you a bell in the next few weeks mate.

• Like 1

That looks like a nice little session. I'm looking forward to having a little go at the competition if that's still the plan? I no nothing about sea fishing but I do know that bream looks tasty!

• Like 3

Im sure it will be fine mate. In fact i bet it will be nearly as good as last year. :laugh: .

• Like 1

That looks like a nice little session. I'm looking forward to having a little go at the competition if that's still the plan? I no nothing about sea fishing but I do know that bream looks tasty!

Absolutely mate, not sure how many want to get out but we'll make sure everyone who does has a decent go at it, hopefully you'll taste one at the comp.... you just got to catch it first!! lol

Im sure it will be fine mate. In fact i bet it will be nearly as good as last year. :laugh: .

As long as we can camp, drink and fish my work is done.... lol

• Like 3

Is it worth bringing my sevylor inflatable as well? It's not great in the sea but if the days calm and the fishing spots aren't far out it might be handy?

You can bring it if you want mate, but you'll probably be better off in one of ours, We'll make sure everyone who wants to gets out for a good crack at it....