Size Comparison Usa Vs. Europe...

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Check out some of my other posts. I've offered to put dog men up so they can get on their feet and have a go in the USA. IT might be a buss kill for some. We don't drink, swear, party or cause trou

We have a pub in Cumbria older than America   People always make me laugh about Britain   There is still a lot about here that maintains the title great   I was lucky enough to grow up in Cum

Personally I don't think you can beat a good uk winter, nothing better than walking across a cold crisp field being able to see your breath Infront of you, seeing a cock pheasant in the distance givin

Posted Images

how about a 54 year old? lol.id be turned around and told feck off back home,

you can see some of the comments with negative vibes straight away,niggling away and waiting for a bite...I think its a very interesting topic,if I were a good few years younger id love to try,being a painter/decorator I expect id find a job handy enough,,,Id love a lash at them prairie jack rabbits,the oul saluki 1st x redning his arse , :yahoo:

You should have a look at the Antelope Jacks they've got around Texas. I used to see them all of the time when I was in basic training for the USAF. One of these days I intend to get back down there and run the pants off of those things! They are enormous!!

• Like 3

With all due respect

And this is an honest question, not one up man ship by any stretch

If your range of quarry is greater, if your areas to hunt are so expansive and your laws more relaxed,

Why haven't you managed to get establish anything like the lines of our lurchers and terriers in the U.K. ?

That' a great question. People realy don't have to sneak around to do much of anything so nearly everyone runs all of the critters with all sorts of hounds. In the Midwest and West, the stags can catch most everything so that's about all folks have or even know about when it comes to sighthounds. You can run around here with a sighthound and not a soul will have any clue as to what your up to...not one!

Also, we've got loads of terriers, that's a whole different story from lurchers.

Edited by Dan McDonough

Wasnt there a bloke name of Kyle or Kai on here from england that went to live/hunt in the states

Yup,he used to do some decent write ups,got into MMA or was trying to go pro?I think a couple of guys off here went out to hunt with him?Gary hosker from the old shooting news moved over there,florida I think?His wife put a short clip of him firing up his old Bi-plane prior to take off on youtube,wonder if he kept hunting over there as I know he imported deerhounds.

There was also a Geordie guy used to post on here,moved over to Ontario somewhere and ran a pack of fox hounds,and another guy did a write up once,was in the states somewhere,he was a brit lad,his lurcher caught a white tail deer.

Gosh darn it you've twisted my arm I wouldn't mind getting over there on a few hunting trips now sounds like a good place to hunt I bet them stags are adapted for the terrain and stuff over there

States like Minnesota, North and South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming.

I like Nebraska because it's looks flat as a piece of paper but you have to go for a walk to see what's really going on. It's like upside down moutains. There are all sorts of depressions, creek beds and sunken lakes all over the place. You can look out over the plains and see what looks like a small bush in the distance when in reality, what your looking at is the very top of a 60 foot tree next to a small lake in a great depression in the land. It looks like a very boring place to live to the city folks. They call it one of the flyover states because that's all they would like to have to do with it...fly over it on the way to Los Angeles. It's flat out loaded with game and the running is great for speed dogs.

Montana, Colorado and Wyoming have both plains and mountains at about 50/50. Live in the foothills of the mountains and you get to choose which you want to run your dogs in based on which way you turn when you leave your driveway. If it's to hot, go to the mountains, if it's to cold, go to the plains. You can pick your weather with a one hour drive. There is the most variety of game in states like this.

Some folks like the cold. I do and that's why I like Minnesota as much as any of the other states. MN doesn't have some of the sheep, goats and elk that the mountain states have but you'll never see me picking a place to live based on the hoofed animals. I like running predators. It has great hunting for all predators except for mountain lions, which it has very few of. Southeastern MN is like a paradise and the sheer amount of game and fish in and around the Mississippi River basin is off of the charts. You can make a living on fish and game there. The area has a long history of commercial hunting and fishing. The area is overflowing with resources and has a lot of springs and flowing water of all kinds with lakes dotting the countryside. There are quite a few Amish folks in this area for that very reason, and they are great for hiring to do various jobs, super honest and do great work.

Kansas is similar to Nebraska.

Utah is great but you have to put up with all of the Mormons. It's kind of their state. There are a lot of dry counties, which means no alcohol. Not a problem for me but I ain't going to their church.

The West has so much public land that you'll never run out of new places to go. On top of that, some of the ranches out there are 10's of thousands of acres large and some are 100's of thousands of acres. Get permission on one of these and your set. They usually are welcoming to good honest predator hunters after they check you out some. If you live out there for a while and don't have a couple of ranches in your pocket, it's not them, it's you.

The Dakotas are flat except for the far western ends and the big river valley in the middle. If you like big wide open views and never ending prarrie you like it here because it's also packed with game. I've gone out there and seen as many as 82 coyotes in one three day weekend. There is as much bird hunting as you could ever want. Excellent waterfowl hunting. Better bring a half dozen shovels for the winter though. That's just to dig out your truck so you can plow your driveway. The blowing and drifting snows will shut you in during the very cold winters. Of course, when the sun is out, you'll catch more coyotes on the snow than maybe anywhere. North Dakota has the least gun laws of anywhere I've been. I think you are not allowed to shoot stuff off of a snowmobile and that's about it. There might be a few more but way less than anywhere else I've spent much time hunting.

For me it's MN and Colorado and maybe Nebraska and Kansas. I could be very happy in any of them but I don't like the lack of water in many of the other Western states when it comes to living. For a vacation, they are all excellent.

Edited by Dan McDonough
  • Like 3

What you guys are still doing over there is a mystery to me. If you want some room to breath and more land to run than you can shake a stick at but lack that final reason to move, here it is...a simple size comparison:

attachicon.gifUSA-Europe Overlay.png

The majority of quarry we run over here is restricted within a very small range compared to an atlas of europe,if the quarry we ran, ran over european borders id be reluctant to pursue it.Id say we have more to hunt over here than you have over the pond Dan and better dogs to do it with.

you can see some of the comments with negative vibes straight away,niggling away and waiting for a bite...I think its a very interesting topic,if I were a good few years younger id love to try,being a painter/decorator I expect id find a job handy enough,,,Id love a lash at them prairie jack rabbits,the oul saluki 1st x redning his arse , :yahoo:

You should have a look at the Antelope Jacks they've got around Texas. I used to see them all of the time when I was in basic training for the USAF. One of these days I intend to get back down there and run the pants off of those things! They are enormous!!

any sites id see them on Dan Mc?anyone adopt a 54 year old over there lol

I don't know about anything long term but I've had the offer up for a while if someone wants to come over here they can live in the room above my garage while they get their feet on the ground. There's plenty of dog spots and with a little work on that room, it'll be plenty warm in the winter. The room is about 12' x 34' so a single guy or even a couple would have plenty of room.

• Like 1

I don't know about anything long term but I've had the offer up for a while if someone wants to come over here they can live in the room above my garage while they get their feet on the ground. There's plenty of dog spots and with a little work on that room, it'll be plenty warm in the winter. The room is about 12' x 34' so a single guy or even a couple would have plenty of room.

I think you're a gentleman, and it would be incredible if someone was able to take you up on the offer

I've wanted to emigrate there for years, but had children young and left my ex partner so it's kind of a no no for me until I'm financial stable enough to buy a house outright, have a year of living expenses and 4 flights back a year minimum

I'm working on it!

And how far off Manitowoc County are you? That seems an odd place

If only I were younger,,,,as opposed to''IF ONLY YOU WERE NEARER '' lol...plus i havent a pot to piss in so i wouldnt get too far,......hope some one takes up an offer of a lifetime,and creates a life for them selves

• Like 2