Certain Books Of Interest.

Some books of various subjects that may find interest with many members.

NO 1) Books by the famous Hungarian Falconer J.G. Mavrogordato.

1,A Falcon in The Field by J.G.Mavrogordato

2,A Hawk For A Bush, by J.G,Mavrogordato

3, A Merlin for Me, by John Loft

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Yellow Earl. A good read of a period in english history when hunting and dogs were the norm. 5th Earl of Lonsdale, reputed to have his own strain of working terrier. He kept a record of the bre

Any of you lads ever read "running with the fox" ?

FF,   The story of this mans life you really could not make up.   His older brother was schooled to inherit and become the wealthiest man in Britain. Hugh Lonsdale never remembers a time when he

Posted Images

If your interested in Highlands and highland wildlife especially deer .

Lea MacNally - Highland Deer Forest and Highland Year are both full of good stuff from a man who spent his life on the hill. Everything from his time at the dens to watching eagles .

In these books there is a photo of two deerhounds taking a red deer and also pics and accounts of working Cairn Terriers . I read these about 40 year ago cracking books.He was one skilled countryman. Also an account of 11 foxes feeding on a carcass in a real hard winter.

• Like 1

Fair play Lutra! You're super keen.

Thank you Rabbit hunter, many other titles are in my brothers large places, books and magazines everywhere. Don't forget we are just a type of custodian at the time. Apart from my (Twin) Don't know to whom I can entrust them to. Some will perhaps find their way to Ireland or Austria as once was promised. The trouble is their aren to the true youngsters coming a long anymore.

I have a big book collection but it's all terrier and lurcher books. I reckon the book has had its day, the internet is slowly taking the romance out of reading a book IMO. Can't beat reading a good book but I think my generation will be the last to say that.

Edited by Rabbit Hunter
  • Like 4

Lea MacNally - Highland Deer Forest and Highland Year are both full of good stuff from a man who spent his life on the hill. Everything from his time at the dens to watching eagles .

In these books there is a photo of two deerhounds taking a red deer and also pics and accounts of working Cairn Terriers . I read these about 40 year ago cracking books.He was one skilled countryman. Also an account of 11 foxes feeding on a carcass in a real hard winter.

Fantastic reads these books 2 of my favourites.

18056732_441526092867220_633059025167762

• Like 2

A book that tells of the hardship of life and the toughness of the people in the Lake district.

Great photo of Joe Wear with some of his terriers and stories about John Peel.

Details of fell hounds but more importantly the people who live there.

I enjoyed the story of the very young kids in pre-school drawing for a new teacher from the south of England.

She thought there was something wrong when she saw they were all colouring the sky as plain grey.

Where she came from the kids coloured it blue with a big yellow sun.

The head teacher gave her the heads up, not much sunny days up here.

post-42222-0-23141300-1493071572_thumb.jpg

post-42222-0-87709000-1493071585_thumb.jpg

post-42222-0-09446900-1493071601_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Anyone intrested in the lake district flora fauna people wildlife fell walking mountain climbing.A H Griffin is a very good author wrote a good number of books on the lake district.

index_zpsmqwqygqg.jpg

Is the Badgers book any good Lutra? Can you name a few of your favourites?

Hello Rabbit Hunter, I'm paying my money as Bosun has mentioned it to myself that I'll be able to offer lads various books. Unfortunately I only have the one copy of the book on Badgers available . It's a very good book indeed and the old saying stands true when certain people state you can pick up various books and find them somewhat difficult to put down, because they are so captivating within their readership. There are certain chapters of concern and interest, especially about Badger Setts and life underground, plus bedding collecting, factor affecting digging and bedding collecting,Chapters on the Badger itself and general characteristics. The Badger's home. distribution. Territory. Bovine Tuberculosis and much more. Profusely illustrated throughout.Sorry this one is not for sale.

Edited by Lutra Lutra
  • Like 1