Certain Books Of Interest.

Who is BB? I've not heard of the author before?

Denys James Watkins-Pitchford was a British naturalist and a childrens author who wrote under the name BB. If you go on Ebay RH and type in books by BB, many 1st editions are commanding high prices. Hope that helps mate? ATB

My favourite author of all time.

He wrote several children's book but always incorporated fieldsports into them.

He also wrote for a long time for The Shooting Times and they still reprint his articles regularly. His wildfowling articles are unsurpassed IMO.

You can feel the breeze in your face and smell the salt when you read them.

I've 8 or 9 of his books.

His masterpiece Brendan Chase was made into a television series. Imagine kids in a programme nowadays trapping, killing and skinning a badger ?

There'd be war.

I'm pretty sure it's available on-line.

Believe it or not Neil I picked a couple up in charity shops a few years ago( think people have got wise now)! One of those was Wild Lone: The story of a Pytchley fox, a motherless cub in the English wilds in 1938! One day I'll get around to reading it lol

Have it and my brother picked it up for me the same way.

One thing that I'm glad to say is that I grew up reading BB and James Herriot and I'm glad to say that my daughter when younger read them all too.

Such books are timeless.

Mind you ,the only books my daughter reads now are all horse racing related.

I am always on the lookout for BB books on the charity shop run lol, another is Manka the Sky gypsy if I Am correct? As for James Herriot got all the books and the box set! When I am too buggered to get out anymore I am going to watch each episode the same as I did many years ago BLISS lol

Manka The Sky Gypsy is a book that will leave an impression on you.

BB's portrayal of how cruel life and hunting can be is very very true to life, from the very first few pages.

NOW, there's a book that should be taught in schools. We mightn't have so many veggies and vegans if it was, LOL.

• Like 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Yellow Earl. A good read of a period in english history when hunting and dogs were the norm. 5th Earl of Lonsdale, reputed to have his own strain of working terrier. He kept a record of the bre

Any of you lads ever read "running with the fox" ?

FF,   The story of this mans life you really could not make up.   His older brother was schooled to inherit and become the wealthiest man in Britain. Hugh Lonsdale never remembers a time when he

Posted Images

Never into reading books,even at school for the short time i spent there i always left the few books we had in school incase i might have to do some homework,way rather be out through the fields mouching about with a couple of dogs of some sort.I actually have about 10-12 hunting related books mostly terrier related but never really read them,might read a certain paregraph and then skip a few and start again,lol just have not the patience for it,same with mags just a quick flick through them unless there is something of real interest to me,the only book i read right through was Darsy's Scooby,enjoyed that book and the story's about Scoobys life from puppy to adult to death and all his hunting expeditions and the different game he caught,good read i tought.

• Like 4

For fucks sake Fatman, for all those lads who've never read Scooby you've just given away the end with that classic killer "he died in the end."

Spoil sport.

Actually the last time I was with JD he showed me where poor ol' Scooby died and it is a good book indeed.

The Jim Corrbett Omnibus ,Man-eaters of kumaon, The Temple Tiger and More man-eaters of Kumaon , and The Man-eating Leopard of Rudraprayag. All in one book cracking read and insight of a bygone era.We aint lived compared to men like him. A little off topic sorry.

• Like 5