Best Lurcher For Deer

I think its a myth about coursed game tasting different to shot game. I've eaten plenty of both and reckon it's got more to do with the age and sex of the animal in question.

• Like 2

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Try asking again in October matey..Everything has either had young or is about to give birth,catching gear at this time is a big no no that is if you have morals of any kind? Plus you are only kidding

If you think chasing with dogs is less stressful than shooting, you will find out when you come to eat the meat how wrong you are, the meat of a dog killed deer is much tougher to eat because it is fu

Seen this guy last night as the Pom & i walked back through the forest to the car,he was a cracker..Wasn't far off being dark so the pics not the best ?

Posted Images

Defo does matter on condition of animal...

I shoot loads of rabbits, and big bucks taste f***ing buzzing...where as 3/4grown ones are the ones to eat.

Both cooked the same, both shot the same lol

It defo is a myth....

Also...what happens when deer get shot? Not all of them drop on the spot.

A large percentage run off...run off on what? Ahhhh adrenaline....so must be full of adrenaline too ?

• Like 1

Defo does matter on condition of animal...

I shoot loads of rabbits, and big bucks taste f***ing buzzing...where as 3/4grown ones are the ones to eat.

Both cooked the same, both shot the same lol

It defo is a myth....

Also...what happens when deer get shot? Not all of them drop on the spot.

A large percentage run off...run off on what? Ahhhh adrenaline....so must be full of adrenaline too ?

To be honest I think this was started by the deer stalking fraternity just to put a dampener on the Lurcher lads when it was legal obviously.

You have to bleed them out preferably hung up while still warm as they cool down the blood coagulates in the body andless drains out.

I know but surely when you cut the jugular what comes out ain't even half of what's in the animals body ?

If you think chasing with dogs is less stressful than shooting, you will find out when you come to eat the meat how wrong you are, the meat of a dog killed deer is much tougher to eat because it is full of testosterone and endorphins caused by the stress of the chase and secondly I,ve said it before many times but there seems to be an obsession in the modern lurcher world with what is in the cross, were as some of the best dogs I,ve ever owned I could not say what they were just good game dogs bred from good game dogs, I,ve seen a whippet sized lurcher that killed fox,s like a pro while the 29" at the shoulder built for the job cross just jumped around taking odd bites, I,ve seen big bully cross,s that would run along a few yards behind a deer but never quite have the minerals to get it down when a scruffy looking little cross has been nailing them quick time, it's what's inside that counts and not what it says on the label, we are working dog men not showmen

This is straight out of the current Government approved animal welfare manual for cattle slaughter in the Uk, cant see it being much different for deer. ( I have a qualification lol)

"Changes in the animals body caused by stress near the time of slaughter can affect meat quality.

Dark, firm dry meat happens after long periods of stress before slaughter.

The meat is dark in colour and has a dry sticky feel.

Pale, soft and watery meat happens after short periods of intense stress immediateley before slaughter.

The meat is pale in colour and very watery."

Cant say I've noticed any difference in deer tbh, usually putting any differences down to being due to age?

Cheers, D.

You have to bleed them out preferably hung up while still warm as they cool down the blood coagulates in the body andless drains out.

I know but surely when you cut the jugular what comes out ain't even half of what's in the animals body ?

try heart sticking them.better pressure,more flow.like they do pigs in a slaughterhouse.if you don't know how,look on you tube.

If you can get to them while there heart is still pumping you will get nearly all the blood out especially if you can hang them, which can be difficult in a paddock. I have put the back legs over my shoulders in the past to better drain a fallow, wouldn't want to try that with a red!

try heart sticking them.better pressure,more flow.like they do pigs in a slaughterhouse.if you don't know how,look on you tube.

i thought they slit the pigs throat , when i worked at pig farm as 17 year old lad , so deff going back along while with me lol . my job was to put the chain around the back legs after they been stunned , then there were hoisted up and killed . the slaughter man , always slit there throats . Maybe they do it different now , they prob do as you say .I remember one day , they stunned a big old sow , i put the chains on, and she came to and she went for me, feck did i move haha , a old bloke there showed me is leg where a old sow had grabbed it and he had good old scar on his leg , and it was from few years ago when it happened , pigs are dangerous animals , even domestic ones . !

we scold pigs in a big hot water tank.if we cut them from ear to ear the dirty water would contaminate the exposed flesh.now we hang them by back leg and push the knife into the bottom of the neck towards the heart,cutting all the main arteries next to the heart.the cut is only the width of the knife.it's a better way to stick but is more dangerous with cattle(kicked with front legs under your chin)

the only time i've actually been scared was when i had to kill 6 wild boar all running around a small room with me.they were coming at me and i only had one shot to knock em down with the tongs otherwise they would of had me.

we scold pigs in a big hot water tank.if we cut them from ear to ear the dirty water would contaminate the exposed flesh.now we hang them by back leg and push the knife into the bottom of the neck towards the heart,cutting all the main arteries next to the heart.the cut is only the width of the knife.it's a better way to stick but is more dangerous with cattle(kicked with front legs under your chin)

the only time i've actually been scared was when i had to kill 6 wild boar all running around a small room with me.they were coming at me and i only had one shot to knock em down with the tongs otherwise they would of had me.

how long are they out then , from being stunned , as they will come too very quick , so you got to act quick to do anything to them . i can see why you go from the heart , they got to be dead to soak, or am i reading this wrong . lol just wondered how you done it , to what we did .?

when you tong them they'd be out for about 40 seconds if you let them come back around but it only takes seconds to hang em and stick them so by the time they would of come round they haven't got any blood left so they never do.

got to be dead to soak other wise the vet goes mental about a pig with a stab to the neck swimming around in a tank filled with warer about 70 degrees with a slaughterman trying to drown it to stop it from screaming.they don't like that.