Best Lurcher For Deer

This thread seems to have run it's course... so since we have so many Aussies here,does anyone hunt Dingo with dogs?

i go on a Oz site, and they have may years ago, but the feeling i get today most dingos/feral dingos are shot/trapped today .And if they did kill them it was with dogs stags, like the USA dogs but smaller, the lads who hunt yotes all say that the yote a hard fighter for any dog, so not sure if the dingo would be the same , but think the dingo bigger animal. From what Dan said yote go up to 40lb norm, but get few bigger , think dingos go from 30- 60lb but these lads who got the both type stags can tell you better, mind it does make you think when over here some dogs when they had few pecks of a 18lb fox, and not to keen to tackle one again , bloody hell they wouldn't get out the kennel if they knew it was 50lb yote or dingo haha .

• Like 1

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Try asking again in October matey..Everything has either had young or is about to give birth,catching gear at this time is a big no no that is if you have morals of any kind? Plus you are only kidding

If you think chasing with dogs is less stressful than shooting, you will find out when you come to eat the meat how wrong you are, the meat of a dog killed deer is much tougher to eat because it is fu

Seen this guy last night as the Pom & i walked back through the forest to the car,he was a cracker..Wasn't far off being dark so the pics not the best ?

Posted Images

Places where dingoes are worth running are really remote and the type of people that live in those areas aren't ones to talk about what they do or get on the Internet

They're basically just wild dogs and I've read they sometimes interbreed with strays and end up a lot bigger,so I was wondering if many dogs could do them.

Is it illegal to hunt them?

This thread seems to have run it's course... so since we have so many Aussies here,does anyone hunt Dingo with dogs?

i go on a Oz site, and they have may years ago, but the feeling i get today most dingos/feral dingos are shot/trapped today .And if they did kill them it was with dogs stags, like the USA dogs but smaller, the lads who hunt yotes all say that the yote a hard fighter for any dog, so not sure if the dingo would be the same , but think the dingo bigger animal. From what Dan said yote go up to 40lb norm, but get few bigger , think dingos go from 30- 60lb but these lads who got the both type stags can tell you better, mind it does make you think when over here some dogs when they had few pecks of a 18lb fox, and not to keen to tackle one again , bloody hell they wouldn't get out the kennel if they knew it was 50lb yote or dingo haha .

Yeah I've read some that mix with dogs are pretty big,I reckon you could easily find a dog that would kill one and (I think) easily find a dog that'd catch one,but I can't imagine many dogs can do both.

• Like 1

Pre ban of course did people have problems stock breaking too sheep . if they run their dog on deer ?

A dog can easily differentiate between the two,the only thing my old lurcher got very interested in once he discovered deer, despite being broken to them was llama/Alpaca,I'm fairly sure by the way he acted he thought they were deer.

Luckily there's not too many of them around.

• Like 2

Places where dingoes are worth running are really remote and the type of people that live in those areas aren't ones to talk about what they do or get on the Internet

They're basically just wild dogs and I've read they sometimes interbreed with strays and end up a lot bigger,so I was wondering if many dogs could do them.

Is it illegal to hunt them?

There's wild dogs and then there's dingoes. A mate went to court because he got caught dogging deer and dingoes, he said the dog that was used killed the dingoes as quick as his dogs would kill a fox with a throat hold... He got charged for aggravated animal cruelty for doing it but in court when the dogging of dingoes was brought up the judge didn't care and it wasn't apart of the charge. The laws here are all grey. The legality on things depends on the length of the kill, your intentions and the actions you take if you're witnessing your dog kill the animal.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

who in their right mind would want to kill dingos or wild dogs, with their own dogs ??? :no:

I like dingos, wolves, and feral dogs a lot, after all, they are dogs, bit too much for me when it gets to that stage. ! :thumbdown:

yea might as well fight pits and that is disgusting in my book !! :(

The dingo is nearly extinct, due to them getting over hunted, pity ! I have a brother inlaw in oz, so hear from him a good bit what goes on !

• Like 1

I have no real problem with dingoes, at least they are native, but if I had sheep I would take measures to control them. Feral dogs I will kill any which way I can. I have seen what they do to a flock of sheep and it is not pretty at all. I have heard donkey's are good at protecting flocks from dingoes / feral dogs or I would get a maremma style dog. I do hope fallow become classified as a pest here, there are plenty near me and I will definitely run them if I can. I don't know how he would go but I would love to give my bull arab a crack at them, if he could catch them I would love to see him take on a big buck, a doe he would handle with ease. If I was looking for a dog purely for fallow here in Oz I would probably go for a pup from some of the tall leggy pig dogs I have seen that are staghound/deerhound/wolfhound saturated types that I have seen. Some of them are tall and fast with huge strides and cover the ground so easily I don't think fallow could escape them in the open. I personally want a dog for a range of quarry including rabbits and those types would not likely be able to catch rabbits so not really for me.

• Like 1

I have no real problem with dingoes, at least they are native, but if I had sheep I would take measures to control them. Feral dogs I will kill any which way I can. I have seen what they do to a flock of sheep and it is not pretty at all. I have heard donkey's are good at protecting flocks from dingoes / feral dogs or I would get a maremma style dog. I do hope fallow become classified as a pest here, there are plenty near me and I will definitely run them if I can. I don't know how he would go but I would love to give my bull arab a crack at them, if he could catch them I would love to see him take on a big buck, a doe he would handle with ease. If I was looking for a dog purely for fallow here in Oz I would probably go for a pup from some of the tall leggy pig dogs I have seen that are staghound/deerhound/wolfhound saturated types that I have seen. Some of them are tall and fast with huge strides and cover the ground so easily I don't think fallow could escape them in the open. I personally want a dog for a range of quarry including rabbits and those types would not likely be able to catch rabbits so not really for me.

I'd go for the staghound silversnake ,They are essentially a lurcher don't need anything else, a bit of speed and a bit of bottle they look big enough without wolfhound and deerhound,

Do you reckon that type would catch Fallow in the open?

If they couldn't catch rabbit I wouldn't bet on them getting near Fallow.

Unless you'd hunt them in dense wooded areas,I don't know how they'd fare then.

Tbh I have no experience running fallow but some of the big wolfhound and deerhound crosses used for pigs are from a long line of working dogs and seeing the way some of them cover the ground I believe they could run down and tackle a fallow size animal but would be too big and clumsy to catch a nimble and agile rabbit. I certainly could be wrong but hopefully one day I can find out for sure if the laws change...

Tbh I have no experience running fallow but some of the big wolfhound and deerhound crosses used for pigs are from a long line of working dogs and seeing the way some of them cover the ground I believe they could run down and tackle a fallow size animal but would be too big and clumsy to catch a nimble and agile rabbit. I certainly could be wrong but hopefully one day I can find out for sure if the laws change...

Maybe have more success lamping them,they're incredible athletes and it takes a fast dog to make up ground of a day,but the only way you'll know is to try.

I hope it does get legalised for your sake,nothing like running deer,it appeals to something very primal imo.

• Like 3

Maybe have more success lamping them,they're incredible athletes and it takes a fast dog to make up ground of a day,but the only way you'll know is to try.

I hope it does get legalised for your sake,nothing like running deer,it appeals to something very primal imo.

Haha definitely have more success lamping them I would reckon! I have shot plenty of fallow and viewed them many times just unfortunately never run them with dogs

I heard there going to be declared a pest animal,despite strong opposition from the game council.I don't know if hunting them with running dogs would be legal if they have this status.I'm starting to think not as I'm pretty sure you can't legally use dogs to catch even goats here although alot of people do it round me for dog food.