Best Lurcher For Deer

If people think the Bull has a detrimental effect on stamina they clearly don't have a clue about the dogs, they go for 3+ hours in the hardest game possible but yeah they've got no gas...... ?

That explains why my bull x cocker never stops ?

• Like 1

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Try asking again in October matey..Everything has either had young or is about to give birth,catching gear at this time is a big no no that is if you have morals of any kind? Plus you are only kidding

If you think chasing with dogs is less stressful than shooting, you will find out when you come to eat the meat how wrong you are, the meat of a dog killed deer is much tougher to eat because it is fu

Seen this guy last night as the Pom & i walked back through the forest to the car,he was a cracker..Wasn't far off being dark so the pics not the best ?

Posted Images

A bulls stamina is totally different to that of a running dog,surely everyone knows that? Bulls ain't renowned for stamina in regards to running,a Saluki,Collie are..Simple as that ✌

• Like 5

A bulls stamina is totally different to that of a running dog,surely everyone knows that? Bulls ain't renowned for stamina in regards to running,a Saluki,Collie are..Simple as that ✌

I don't know anyone that would use a Bull for running?

They don't do bad on the treadmill when being brought on.

I have a saluki bull grey, 29 tts, quite long in stature if I'm honest but I think he would have had the minerals pre ban. Covers ground well and big enough to hold, just wish we could hunt more than rabbits nowadays

I'm not saying they don't but ANYONE who breeds Bull for stamina when it comes to breeding lurchers want to stick to breeding toy dogs,I've a Pom here that does a 100 miles a week on the Fells,it's nearly 11,I've NEVER EVER seen it knackered yet I'd not class it as worth breeding off regarding stamina lol..Anyways to the deer

My little whip/stag caught one,was up on its back ended up getting kicked and needing stitches.If I could get a giant version of her I'd be on a winner I think.

Or if it learned to take a throat hold you would be on a winner .......

A throat hold is great with the smaller species but on the bigger types that technique don't cut the mustard I'm afraid,not until the beast was grassed anyways,running alongside & trying to take a neck hold invariably gets the dog nowhere fast apart from being trampled all over,them bigger animals are just another kettle of fish,they do not fold like a daft Roe etc that is in my limited experience of dealings with them back in the last millennium ✌

• Like 5

I'm not saying they don't but ANYONE who breeds Bull for stamina when it comes to breeding lurchers want to stick to breeding toy dogs,I've a Pom here that does a 100 miles a week on the Fells,it's nearly 11,I've NEVER EVER seen it knackered yet I'd not class it as worth breeding off regarding stamina lol..Anyways to the deer

My little whip/stag caught one,was up on its back ended up getting kicked and needing stitches.If I could get a giant version of her I'd be on a winner I think.

A throat hold is great with the smaller species but on the bigger types that technique don't cut the mustard I'm afraid,not until the beast was grassed anyways,running alongside & trying to take a neck hold invariably gets the dog nowhere fast apart from being trampled all over,them bigger animals are just another kettle of fish,they do not fold like a daft Roe etc that is in my limited experience of dealings with them back in the last millennium ✌

I agree and I was talking about when it was down or jammed into a fence etc ... its as if a primal instinct kicks in when their grabbed by the throats and they stop thrashing about ........

• Like 3

Without a doubt if stamina is what you're after then it would be Saluki everytime but I'm not buying it that the APBT has a detrimental effect on stamina when put to a Greyhound. I think it's more to do with them putting in that extra effort compared to say a Collie cross and idiots who think they can lay the dog up in the off season and expect them to perform miracles unfit.

Some of the best deer dogs I've ever saw put a good nights hall in have been bull xs 1 was 3/4 grey 1/4 bull the other was a son of golly the 1st time the golly dog saw a deer he put 4 on the deck decent size fallow aswell both dogs were around 28tts a lot of it is down to knack some dogs will roll a deer where by they grab it and spin it over and some dogs just seem to take hold of any where they can grab and then some dogs seem to love just back legging but aslong as the end results a deer or two in the bag that's all you want ?

• Like 3

" BEST LURCHER FOR DEER "

Everyone usually has an opinion on which type of cross they feel will be best saluki/grey ,,,,bull/grey ,,,staghound ect ect , if i was after a lurcher for any chosen purpose my question will always be how did the sire and dam

perform on the chosen quarry , were they worked regularly and were they fully up to the task , i would hopefully got an honest answer ,unfortunately a lot of dogs are sold due to their owners verbal prowess rather than their dogs working ability .

If the truth was to be told and both parents whatever the breeding were doing the job , i would cross my fingers and put everything into the pup .

• Like 6

Everyone usually has an opinion on which type of cross they feel will be best saluki/grey ,,,,bull/grey ,,,staghound ect ect , if i was after a lurcher for any chosen purpose my question will always be how did the sire and dam

perform on the chosen quarry , were they worked regularly and were they fully up to the task , i would hopefully got an honest answer ,unfortunately a lot of dogs are sold due to their owners verbal prowess rather than their dogs working ability .

If the truth was to be told and both parents whatever the breeding were doing the job , i would cross my fingers and put everything into the pup .

Most types will have the potential for the task, given the size of the dog and species that are ran.

Every lurcher I've owned has been keener on deer than anything else

Without a doubt if stamina is what you're after then it would be Saluki everytime but I'm not buying it that the APBT has a detrimental effect on stamina when put to a Greyhound. I think it's more to do with them putting in that extra effort compared to say a Collie cross and idiots who think they can lay the dog up in the off season and expect them to perform miracles unfit.

Greyhounds are shite full stop mate,I've never in my life seen out worth kenneling out of one,i cant understand why lads use em,a big fast,racy type of any kind is better than them piece of shit..Bull x Fast Lurcher type,they would be worth owning but out of a Greyhounds belly or sired by one not a f***ing chance ✌

Yes, I like the Coursing type x Bull blooded lurchers,...real impressive critters and the ones I've seen, had nice friendly temperaments,...good to work with..

Just been offered a pup from a potentially awesome, forthcoming litter,...its tempting,...but, for me,.. this much appreciated gift has come just a few years too late. :D

• Like 3

Good post, can't do anymore than that. Also some dogs cope no problem with smaller species of deer but if stepped up to bigger type such as Fallow can be found wanting.So two dogs doing the business on fallow would hopefully produce a pup with the correct mindset or at least narrow the odds.

Edited by Allan P
  • Like 1