I'm After A Couple Of Bushing Dogs

If your hunting medium sized patches of cover or along hedgerows ,then I don't suppose there is much difference using a silent dog ,hunting woodland or big tracts of gorse ,heather ,bramble etc if my dog didn't open up when hot on something I wouldn't know where the f**k she was and neither would the runners , she will often open up in a completely different direction from where I expected her to be .

Everyone e has their own way of going about things and "viva LA difference " I say atb

thats fair point Stan , situations like that mate a dog that give voice would deff be benefit deff. my next dog will be a small type lurcher , i would like 2nd gen 1x pit x whippet , if i can get one, ive had both breeds before and i like them, if i did get one and it picked up some of the whippet genes which it could . the none ped whippet ive seen at the track years ago they can sing a bit lol , so as busher i reckon they be vocal . i like the crack with any type dog day or night , and mooching/bushing is great deff :thumbs:

Ray ,I had a first x whippet bull a few years ago ,and had unbelievable sport with it ,it got passed to me because it opened up ,but it was so much more than just a running dog ,an exciting little dog to own .

ive heard good things about them as well Stan, i want it more for in the day really , just mooching and the odd few nights in the lamp, Buck my main lamping dog really when i take him, but he great in the day as well just like old Bryn is, i think little line bred 1x pit x whippet would fit in well with them , be great mooching team , the other day Buck knocked rabbit out , yeh feckin Buck lol, god knows how he gets in some of the cover , it ran my side old Bryn just missed it, he just lost bit of pace , mind you he 10 in sep , bloody hell dont time fly . lol

You won't go wrong with something like what bluezak runs when you're big dogs are in the ground and you decide to take it easy. Not his Bruce dog but his smaller beddy/whip/grey types. I can imagine they would turn their paw to anything and would be easy going types when not in the field. But then saying that most small lurcher x lurchers fit the bill. I like the bull whippets myself just the ones I've seen have had whippet skin and coat with bull attitude and that's not a good mix. Although they're probably not all the same you would have to see a few.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you have a days bushing with a dog that screams when it's behind or close to it's quarry then you will know Ray. It takes the adrenaline rush to another level. You see the lurchers change like flic

I don't get this obsession with lads wanting bushing dogs to open up as said before all you doing is sending game out of cover miles before your ready and if you hunt a lot of the same land regular al

There is a big difference between a yapping little dog bombing about and a busher that opens up when in close contact in cover. The little terrier I have never barks unless right on the back of things

Posted Images

I hunt rabbits for a living ,mostly over a big pack of bushing dogs ,in New Zealand ,I like them to yap ,running slience is no good to me nor the others of the pack ,I dont know a rabbit has "lifted" .The noise helps move the rabbit around ,if it goes to ground I beleve it was always going to go there but at least with some noise I know where its gone .Ive found great dogs come in all shapes & sizes but If you can get a tidy spaniel x beagle or spaniel x JR terrier thats my choice of busher ,but its always a team effort that sees the game bag full .

• Like 2

I hunt rabbits for a living ,mostly over a big pack of bushing dogs ,in New Zealand ,I like them to yap ,running slience is no good to me nor the others of the pack ,I dont know a rabbit has "lifted" .The noise helps move the rabbit around ,if it goes to ground I beleve it was always going to go there but at least with some noise I know where its gone .Ive found great dogs come in all shapes & sizes but If you can get a tidy spaniel x beagle or spaniel x JR terrier thats my choice of busher ,but its always a team effort that sees the game bag full .

Good post that fella!

Whereabouts in NZ fella?

Whereabouts in NZ fella?

Deep South ,a couple of hours away from here is central Otago where rabbits can be found in HUGE numbers .

post-53171-0-01023700-1492511272_thumb.jpg This was the result of one night using a PCP air rifle ,however for the most part I use the bushing dogs and shotgun & all the usual tools one has in youre country ,long nets purse nets ,ferret .I hardly fire a shot as the pack knows what it takes as some in their working life have been involed in catching up wards of 10,000 rabbits .What Ive found is with alot of hunting the average dog becomes a fully experienced average dog ,a good dog becomes a good experienced dog and a bloody cracker becomes something you smile and tip youre hat to.Nothing can match a great dog and when hunted over ,they give us so much enjoyment for very little in put. They return any investment of time & effort ten fold.

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 1

Whereabouts in NZ fella?

Deep South ,a couple of hours away from here is central Otago where rabbits can be found in HUGE numbers .

This was the result of one night using a PCP air rifle ,however for the most part I use the bushing dogs and shotgun & all the usual tools one has in youre country ,long nets purse nets ,ferret .I hardly fire a shot as the pack knows what it takes as some in their working life have been involed in catching up wards of 10,000 rabbits .What Ive found is with alot of hunting the average dog becomes a fully experienced average dog ,a good dog becomes a good experienced dog and a bloody cracker becomes something you smile and tip youre hat to.Nothing can match a great dog and when hunted over ,they give us so much enjoyment for very little in put. They return any investment of time & effort ten fold.

Many years ago I spent some time working on a big sheep station near Waiakaia. What a glorious part of the world... I envy you :thumbs:

I don't mind a yap but my old man always liked a quiet terrier on top knocking over out I'm not to fussed but it is abit on top of your on uncharted territory and the dogs tipping behind stuff my pointer bitch gives out like a hound sometimes depending what gets up

I agree with bird. A dog which hunts silently is nearly always on terms with its quarry when it breaks cover, also guns/lurchers will kill game that's not actually being hunted by the flushers so when the hunted quarry breaks cover your guns/lurchers are often uprepared. But Its is good fun to a have a miniature hunt underway!

• Like 1