I'm After A Couple Of Bushing Dogs

Everyone likes there own thing. I went out with a lad for a few seasons who had a few hound x's they was good little hunters. But for putting things out to the runner's they wasn't the best there hounds at the end of the day they would pick up a line that a Fox had run maby maby 5 hours or maby 5 mins ago, They would start to speak and the fox would be seen braking out of the next patch of cover when the lads are watching the first.

• Like 2

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you have a days bushing with a dog that screams when it's behind or close to it's quarry then you will know Ray. It takes the adrenaline rush to another level. You see the lurchers change like flic

I don't get this obsession with lads wanting bushing dogs to open up as said before all you doing is sending game out of cover miles before your ready and if you hunt a lot of the same land regular al

There is a big difference between a yapping little dog bombing about and a busher that opens up when in close contact in cover. The little terrier I have never barks unless right on the back of things

Posted Images

I also like a busher to give some tongue when right up and on their quarry..

I certainly wouldn't like a busher that ran from cover to cover barking it's head off for no reason, but once they are on it's ass, I love it to yap up and let you know... nothing more exciting for me... no idea what's going to break cover, but you know something is about to!!

• Like 2

Also it certainly tunes the runners in, as soon as the bushers start yapping the whole mood changes, I love watching the runners when this happens..

Another thing for me is bushing certainly doesn't mean catching big numbers, it's watching the whole pack working together, I think the yapping pulls all the dogs together.... only my opinion and what I enjoy, but I'd always want my bushers to yap

• Like 2

It's good we all have differing opinions on how we want our dogs to work, I don't think there is a right or wrong to this one, just personal preference and perhaps different attributes for different land..

• Like 3

Mine might yap on fox or deer, although not on rabbits pheasants , I'd not want a dog opening up on bunnies , and probably not on deer either, I think it'd be great to have a dog open up on fox, but only if right behind it. I've seen a few speakers , they're not for me really especially if its on scent, gone to ground or in large cover. I guess it's down to where you hunt, if you're in an area of large you really want stuff to sit tight until you're on it else you end up chasing it about with a dog that cant catch it. If you're hunting tight small cover with some open ground all around it then it's exciting and a bit of yapping fires everyone up, atb Joe

why not on rabbits in thick cover mate?

I think pushing them hard through bramble yapping is good...

I too wouldn't want yapping on scent only, but once they are up it's ass, let em sing!!

I was more on about large areas of cover where you might just push stuff about without getting on to it, like big woodlands and alike, and if you're after anything other than bunnies then its a bit of a pain. Obviously my busher not having any interest in rabbits, unless he can get to them in woodpiles etc doesnt really make my rabbit hunting sucessful or exciting , thankfully living where there arent any has alleviated my frustration at bunny bashing, I really do enjoy flushing stuff with him, his pheasant hunting is a pleasure to watch and he still likes to track deer , he's flushed a couple of fox but mostly through his pursuit of pheasants. I've had great fun out with dogs using voice but remember, terriers and hounds are different beasts and hounds miles away giving voice on a bunny aint much use. atb Joe

Got ya mate...

Wasn't thinking of hounds tbh... more working bushing dogs closer than that...

Your's was always into pushing pheasants up mate, perfect for a bit of rough shooting!!

Personally I like working from patch to patch pushing whats there and moving on, obviously a bit more ranging up the moors, but you've seen the general land we hunt enough to know for us a bit of yapping adds to it...

I know where your dogs are now is a whole different ball game, huge forestry and massive land like you say no point miles away yapping like a twat with quarry running into the distance!! lol

• Like 1

It's good we all have differing opinions on how we want our dogs to work, I don't think there is a right or wrong to this one, just personal preference and perhaps different attributes for different land..

no science or technical bullshit needed,if they bred right for the job its that easy,bang on mate
  • Like 1

Also it certainly tunes the runners in, as soon as the bushers start yapping the whole mood changes, I love watching the runners when this happens..

Another thing for me is bushing certainly doesn't mean catching big numbers, it's watching the whole pack working together, I think the yapping pulls all the dogs together.... only my opinion and what I enjoy, but I'd always want my bushers to yap

Couldn't agree more :thumbs:

• Like 1

I fail to understand the mentality of folk that require a silent busher,its like an ashtray on a motorbike.The finest bushing companion i ever owned had a tone in her vocabulary that could be read to indicate what was in front of her and how close she was to the chase.The lurchers and guns that are present when my bushers give voice are often rewarded by the serenade of the chase and react accordingly,a lazy gun or lurcher is often woken from its slumber by the sound of the ratchers at hand.The way i see it is the folk that require a more silent bushing companion have little idea of how to utilise the service of a busher,they would be better served by shaking a sharp stick in any cover they encounter and jabbing the occupants in the arse.

• Like 2

Plenty spaniels knock stuff out of cover without singing maybe the lazy gun or lurcher should switch on.

thats what ive been trying to say .A lad by me where used to live , had great springer that knocked stuff out , it worked out brill being honest , i get one side with my lurchers , he had whippet x and a border terrier the other side, as springer was moving forward even if the rabbits dropped back the dogs both sides would nail them, it really worked well never any yapping or barking , just the dogs catching . i keep saying if there was to much noise some rabbits would try to go to ground, but when quiet the rabbits would try to sneak out up the edge but the lurchers would be ready for them. i have been out with nosey dogs and it did push them out, but for me i reckon you got more runs with quieter dogs :yes:

• Like 1

Plenty spaniels knock stuff out of cover without singing maybe the lazy gun or lurcher should switch on.

thats what ive been trying to say .A lad by me where used to live , had great springer that knocked stuff out , it worked out brill being honest , i get one side with my lurchers , he had whippet x and a border terrier the other side, as springer was moving forward even if the rabbits dropped back the dogs both sides would nail them, it really worked well never any yapping or barking , just the dogs catching . i keep saying if there was to much noise some rabbits would try to go to ground, but when quiet the rabbits would try to sneak out up the edge but the lurchers would be ready for them. i have been out with nosey dogs and it did push them out, but for me i reckon you got more runs with quieter dogs :yes:

You're missing the excitement and enjoyment factor Ray.

Nobody goes daytime bushing to get big numbers. We go daytime bushing to have a good craic and enjoy seeing our dogs work. Pure enjoyment. A busher what opens up behind its quarry adds another dimension to enjoyment and excitement. If you haven't seen it then it's hard to explain. Nothing spurs the lurchers on like a busher yapping in cover and them not knowing what's going to come out!

• Like 3

If your hunting medium sized patches of cover or along hedgerows ,then I don't suppose there is much difference using a silent dog ,hunting woodland or big tracts of gorse ,heather ,bramble etc if my dog didn't open up when hot on something I wouldn't know where the f**k she was and neither would the runners , she will often open up in a completely different direction from where I expected her to be .

Everyone e has their own way of going about things and "viva LA difference " I say atb

• Like 4

You're missing the excitement and enjoyment factor Ray.

Nobody goes daytime bushing to get big numbers. We go daytime bushing to have a good craic and enjoy seeing our dogs work. Pure enjoyment. A busher what opens up behind its quarry adds another dimension to enjoyment and excitement. If you haven't seen it then it's hard to explain. Nothing spurs the lurchers on like a busher yapping in cover and them not knowing what's going to come out!

i know its a great crack Gaz, i know that :thumbs: i was just saying that springer are great at this job, and work silent , does your bull x cocker work quite of barks out of interest , it looks a great looking dog mate, be good round a hole with that bit of bull in it.