was always told a terrier mans yard should be like a bag of tools

a dog for different jobs

some dogs dont like working stones

some dont like hay stacks

some wont push in wet drains

when your with hounds you need all and more of the above to be covered

welsh foxes on the hill are a cut above the rest

Im sure ns kept what he had for a reason to please himself and to do what he wanted with them work

seems the guy is a bit like marmite you either love him or hate him

If some dogs don't like working any of the above then they shouldn't be a Terriermans dogs......
So what if you had a dog that didn't like the stones but was a very devent dog in an earth? One that could get anywhere...would you not keep him? Most terrierman have 3 boxes on the bike...pick the 3 that will suit. Like strongbow said...as handy as they are/were on a hunting day, still not to be bred from.
I would think the dog isn't all that if it didn't try it's best regardless of terrain.
couldnt be dealing with choosey terriers..
you must have a good kennel of terriers
no better then the next genuine man, Iv never been one for making do with what I had I'd rather have none..
So youv never had anything half tidy that got you by? Just pure greats...?
not greats just honest dogs that give there all every time! No room for choosy here..

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wasn't she like fudge but just harder

There's fellas in the game 20/30years who no everything about nothing. A lad with the right attitude no matter how many years he's at it is worth ten of them no it all ignorant fellas.

The fifth dig to a Treacle pup this season, another Roxett grandson

Posted Images

I've been to Wales in the mountains plenty mate they not all as big as wolves and as hard as nails

There's a fine line between a good hill fox and some shitty little scavenger living in a hedge. As iv said... most of the time they're alot more straight to get when you stumble upon them in an earth as to when hounds have run him hard and he's gone in.
a good fox is a good fox! Wether in the shires or on the hill..
  • Like 4

I've been to Wales in the mountains plenty mate they not all as big as wolves and as hard as nails

There's a fine line between a good hill fox and some shitty little scavenger living in a hedge. As iv said... most of the time they're alot more straight to get when you stumble upon them in an earth as to when hounds have run him hard and he's gone in.

would you say its a tougher life for a fox on the hill

rather than one on the shires wher food is in plenty

I've found the things you dig up in the mountains are mainly scratty things due to lack of food and a lot of bad weather. Each individual is different though, some take the fight to the dog and some sulk and don't want to know. It also depends on the vantage point they have within the earth. If they get in roots or on a ledge or round a tight bend they can really give the dog some cosh and then you find out what you're kenneling when the dog is getting nothing its own way.

• Like 1

These two are miles apart the hill fox is still a wild animal still seeing humans as a life threat, but the fox in the shires as become a domestic pet seeing humans as a form of food. This animal is for ever seeing people walking on an off footpaths. Over the last 20 years with better walking clothing/boots an a fashion of walking in the countryside, people walking everywhere you look, the fox has got to accept us humans as no threat.. I recently took one from a cage trap an realised it sum miles away, when let loose it walked 5 yards from me an had a piss... Do the same with a hill fox an see how far he runs before having one.

These two are miles apart the hill fox is still a wild animal still seeing humans as a life threat, but the fox in the shires as become a domestic pet seeing humans as a form of food. This animal is for ever seeing people walking on an off footpaths. Over the last 20 years with better walking clothing/boots an a fashion of walking in the countryside, people walking everywhere you look, the fox has got to accept us humans as no threat.. I recently took one from a cage trap an realised it sum miles away, when let loose it walked 5 yards from me an had a piss... Do the same with a hill fox an see how far he runs before having one.

did it bite you or is it just the billy goat that puts his fingers in the wrong places lol

Edited by Dabhand

plenty fallen stock on the hills To keep them going! Obviously it's a harder life..

Hard life or not, doesn't make them harder quarry to work. As what's been said, some sulk and some are very forward regardless of location. Some have seen dogs before, some haven't. Either way, any dog worth keeping should stay with any fox.

• Like 4

plenty fallen stock on the hills To keep them going! Obviously it's a harder life..

there is very little to no stock on the hills after November

this might be why they travel so much for food hence the reason they give long runs?

All the hill foxes I've dug are definitely a different animal than low ground especially the big dog fox, when we get them to ground here it's normally a tight old rabbit hole compact where the fox can just sit a chip away at terrier. There's loads of food up in these hills millions of rabbits, and there fit having a massive territory as I'm finding out now spend the last 6 nights after a hill fox who's taking fresh kills rather than coming to any snare middens,over a 6000 acre territory.we are using thermals and he hasn't been shot yet so who ever says they make the job easy is taking shit it's winded us 3 times fro over 400 yards,

Must add farmers have fallen stock layed out too it's never touched any of them just eats fresh

. Edited by Accip74

One thing i can be sure of in this game nothing is black and white. One mans dog will not suit another man. you can't compare one scenario to another. That's why I never judge or knock another man's dog. Lots of parts of the UK you will find Fox in places that can't be dug. So to that man your dog that stays till dug is no good at all. Like i say things aren't black and white.

Edited by Rat face
  • Like 6

Hard life or not, doesn't make them harder quarry to work. As what's been said, some sulk and some are very forward regardless of location. Some have seen dogs before, some haven't. Either way, any dog worth keeping should stay with any fox.

Run out of likes Rob but spot on.