• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wasn't she like fudge but just harder

There's fellas in the game 20/30years who no everything about nothing. A lad with the right attitude no matter how many years he's at it is worth ten of them no it all ignorant fellas.

The fifth dig to a Treacle pup this season, another Roxett grandson

Posted Images

Haven't had anything to do with ns in 10-12 years, for all of you that think he bred for hunt work think again. He bred for proper digging dogs, dogs that worked their animal correctly, an by doing that his hunt terriers would come in the same litters.. He didn't bred hard dogs because they didn't suit.. Even his fox dogs/bitches he didn't like getting to close. Remember he was a hunt terrierman who was employed to provide sport an bolted foxes had to run which they struggle to do after meeting a harder type. As a child a old man told me. Always bred for ------ dogs an your fox dogs will be there to.

• Like 7

Haven't had anything to do with ns in 10-12 years, for all of you that think he bred for hunt work think again. He bred for proper digging dogs, dogs that worked their animal correctly, an by doing that his hunt terriers would come in the same litters.. He didn't bred hard dogs because they didn't suit.. Even his fox dogs/bitches he didn't like getting to close. Remember he was a hunt terrierman who was employed to provide sport an bolted foxes had to run which they struggle to do after meeting a harder type. As a child a old man told me. Always bred for ------ dogs an your fox dogs will be there to.

There you have it....

totally agree the wastage should at least make fox dogs, which leaves me thinking where are these digging bitches?or did the ns enthusiasts only got hold of his wastage which they keep folding back in hence the amount of poor bitches Iv seen..

totally agree the wastage should at least make fox dogs, which leaves me thinking where are these digging bitches?or did the ns enthusiasts only got hold of his wastage which they keep folding back in hence the amount of poor bitches Iv seen..
some of the best I've seen have been bitches an from nicks line, if you can call it his? But that another thing, again with his bitches that were used on hunt days, don't go thinking they were one trick ponies because they weren't, they worked the first the same as the fifth or sixth. they worked every animal with the same style, the style that suited him.

not a lot required of a dog to do hunt work.[/quote

That's a bit of a bold statement bud]

Correct. I was in that frame of mind until I needed a terrier for hunt work. They're not as easy to come by as you think...

• Like 1

very mediocre dog can look good in hunt service

Agree, in fact I'd go as far as to say rubbish can look good on a hunting day, theres a lot goes on at other times though and thats when the terriers prove their worth

i do agree with you as regards to rubbish can look good on hunting days, but I think you have to take a few things into account. The first is what was asked of you i.e. To account of the fox or was it going to be hunted. Seen it so many times when a hunt is required an too much of a dog is entered resulting in damage and fox being shot. Then there's were in the country you are remember when fox hunting was legal a lot of packs stopped an if one got to ground it would be in nothing more than a kicked out rabbit earth so not much of a dog was required... Take the same dog to the Welsh mountains, Cumbria, a lot wilder of a country where you get a lot wilder of a fox was that same dog capable of doing the same job??? It's knowing your dogs,, every good hunt terrierman kennelled dogs that you could call rubbish but at the same time the same dog was worth its weight in gold.. But would you ever bred from it??? Never.
  • Like 1

very mediocre dog can look good in hunt service

Agree, in fact I'd go as far as to say rubbish can look good on a hunting day, theres a lot goes on at other times though and thats when the terriers prove their worth

i do agree with you as regards to rubbish can look good on hunting days, but I think you have to take a few things into account. The first is what was asked of you i.e. To account of the fox or was it going to be hunted. Seen it so many times when a hunt is required an too much of a dog is entered resulting in damage and fox being shot. Then there's were in the country you are remember when fox hunting was legal a lot of packs stopped an if one got to ground it would be in nothing more than a kicked out rabbit earth so not much of a dog was required... Take the same dog to the Welsh mountains, Cumbria, a lot wilder of a country where you get a lot wilder of a fox was that same dog capable of doing the same job??? It's knowing your dogs,, every good hunt terrierman kennelled dogs that you could call rubbish but at the same time the same dog was worth its weight in gold.. But would you ever bred from it??? Never.

I agree with you mate, a hard pressed fox on a Welsh mountain is totally different prospect to a fox put out for a mounted pack

was always told a terrier mans yard should be like a bag of tools

a dog for different jobs

some dogs dont like working stones

some dont like hay stacks

some wont push in wet drains

when your with hounds you need all and more of the above to be covered

welsh foxes on the hill are a cut above the rest

Im sure ns kept what he had for a reason to please himself and to do what he wanted with them work

seems the guy is a bit like marmite you either love him or hate him

was always told a terrier mans yard should be like a bag of tools

a dog for different jobs

some dogs dont like working stones

some dont like hay stacks

some wont push in wet drains

when your with hounds you need all and more of the above to be covered

welsh foxes on the hill are a cut above the rest

Im sure ns kept what he had for a reason to please himself and to do what he wanted with them work

seems the guy is a bit like marmite you either love him or hate him

If some dogs don't like working any of the above then they shouldn't be a Terriermans dogs...... Edited by DogMan85