Controversial !

A bank holiday and reading this month's EDRD. An article by Eddie Chapman I found to be very interesting . Mr. Chapman was eluding to the modern working terrier and how invention of the locator system together with fox being the only legitimate quarry these days had seen the development of mute, and in his words " stupid " terriers becoming common place. But that was not the thing that I found surprising .

Mr. Chapman goes on to write , quote " The Staffordshire Bull cross Lakeland was how the Patterdale was developed " . But that is also not the thing that I found the most controversial .

This is it. On the death of Mr. Bray his terriers went to his daughter and her husband, Mr. Westmoreland, and a good friend of Mr. Chapman. He inherited a kennel of the most legendry working terriers in modern times. A dog mans lottery win. Now, according to the article these terriers had too much work in them to be able to be accommodated . They were dead mute, dead game . Even if locators had been around at the time it would of been an irrelevance in the Lunesdale country . They ended up being shot. All of them.

This is only a brief synopsis of the full article but ... interesting to say the least.

• Like 3

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some old adverts in magazines from 1900s ,,that mention Blue polls,

There's a lot of bull in some lads yards. bull shit.

i first posted that photo , its nuttall bred , and before you all start saying staff blood and making fools of yourself you need to know that dog was tiny , the bull bllood in what is now called the p

Posted Images

A bank holiday and reading this month's EDRD. An article by Eddie Chapman I found to be very interesting . Mr. Chapman was eluding to the modern working terrier and how invention of the locator system together with fox being the only legitimate quarry these days had seen the development of mute, and in his words " stupid " terriers becoming common place. But that was not the thing that I found surprising .

Mr. Chapman goes on to write , quote " The Staffordshire Bull cross Lakeland was how the Patterdale was developed " . But that is also not the thing that I found the most controversial .

This is it. On the death of Mr. Bray his terriers went to his daughter and her husband, Mr. Westmoreland, and a good friend of Mr. Chapman. He inherited a kennel of the most legendry working terriers in modern times. A dog mans lottery win. Now, according to the article these terriers had too much work in them to be able to be accommodated . They were dead mute, dead game . Even if locators had been around at the time it would of been an irrelevance in the Lunesdale country . They ended up being shot. All of them.

This is only a brief synopsis of the full article but ... interesting to say the least.

Been really enjoying Eddie Chapmans serial of articles, i think this month it ran into six pages! Always look forward to the next instalment! ATB
  • Like 3

According to Cyril Bray it was the blue poll he bred to he took two bitches up to Northumberland for the matings .

. I talked to man few years back about his line dogs and he mentioned he had got stuff of breay bred terriers while on the topic he mentioned the blue poll you have just mentioned it's the only time I'v ever really heard the name mentioned till you said there now a well respected terrier man it was told me that he actually showed me a pic of himself holding to breay terriers in the mid to late 60's he was only a young lad at the time lol.
  • Like 1

Read about the Blue Poll (I thought it was Paul) in I think was a Plummer book.Think they were from Seaton Burn area of Northumberland. He named a man or family but i thought (wrongly) they were from an era long before Cyril Braey. Find it very interesting any more info on these Blue poll dogs boys?

• Like 2

Like Eddie's article's as well, it's like being there with him, entertaining and funny in parts.

This months is very long, haven't started it yet, tend to read a bit each night when i go up to bed. I think you might be related to me sindasox I do exactly the same lol. He had a hell of a time with that hunt master when he was whipper in! Sorry I would have booted him as hard as I could in his bo** ocks lol. ATB

SINDASOX

According to Cyril Bray it was the blue poll he bred to he took two bitches up to Northumberland for the matings .

. I talked to man few years back about his line dogs and he mentioned he had got stuff of breay bred terriers while on the topic he mentioned the blue poll you have just mentioned it's the only time I'v ever really heard the name mentioned till you said there now a well respected terrier man it was told me that he actually showed me a pic of himself holding to breay terriers in the mid to late 60's he was only a young lad at the time lol.
ive a dog the very same as a blue poll-out of that brown bitch..god knows where the colour came from.hes a wicked kunt altogether-can only take him out on my own.

I thought Cyril Breay was known to refute any idea of Bull in his line of terrier?
Apparently Nuttal used to change his tune regarding Bull being added to his mix depending on the weather, I think dog men and honesty don't go hand in hand. Edited by DogMan85
  • Like 5