Loading The Black Powder Cartridge

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With Factory made black powder cartridges more difficult to obtain and more so the price loading your own is more cheaper . Items needed are the black powder in medium grade for 12 bore and less cart

Nothing like the smell of black powder. Nice soft recoil, stiff breeze helps, opposit way from target direction to get you second (if needed)shot of. Fun on the clays as well Load some each season

Seems that way black powder shooting both game and clays has so much too offer Feltwad

Not with my firearms department I'm afraid.

All you need is a Black Powder Certificate from your Constabulary joining a club is only if you have a firearm and wish to use it which will be on a approved range a shotgun can be used for game or clay shooting if you are a club member or not providing you have a S.G.Certificate

Feltwad

All you need is a Black Powder Certificate from your Constabulary joining a club is only if you have a firearm and wish to use it which will be on a approved range a shotgun can be used for game or clay shooting if you are a club member or not providing you have a S.G.Certificate

Feltwad

Yes I have sgc. I (and another person) was told we had to be a member of a club to get the black powder certificate for training proposes.

Feltwad

Yes I have sgc. I (and another person) was told we had to be a member of a club to get the black powder certificate for training proposes.

That is wrong I am afraid. You are being told a lie.

U.

• Like 1

I'm not going to argue with them, not worth it. I'll just buy them in future.

There is always another way and that is to load black powder supplement called pydrex. this can be measure loaded the same has black powder and can be bought with a shotgun certificate the main fault with this powder is it is very corrosive and must be cleaned as soon has shooting is finished.

Feltwad

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing like the smell of black powder.

Nice soft recoil, stiff breeze helps, opposit way from target direction to get you second (if needed)shot of.

Fun on the clays as well

Load some each season for 2 older shoot members with English hammer guns for last 2 days of season,

John

• Like 2

Nothing like the smell of black powder.

Nice soft recoil, stiff breeze helps, opposit way from target direction to get you second (if needed)shot of.

Fun on the clays as well

Load some each season for 2 older shoot members with English hammer guns for last 2 days of season,

John

And the boom :-)

U.

And the black face if shooting a lot into the wind, did a ton on pigeons many years ago.used to use my grandfathers Boss live pigeon gun, (11 bore) but like a fool at the time swapped it for a Boeler blitz single barrel 12 that kicked like a mule.

Ha well, been there done that but still here and still learning. John

There is some thing with black powder shooting whether it is with a breech loading hammer gun or a muzzle loading percussion or flintlock it is stays with you for all of your life .Has for loading black powder cartridges this goes back to the 1946 for which I helped my father to load black powder cartridges because in those days cartridges were not easy to come by and I have kept on loading black powder and early nitro cartridges ever since .

Today most of my shooting is pest control with a few driven black powder days shooting driven birds either partridge, pheasant or grouse using black powder is traditional and one game bird shot is worth 10 with a nitro gun .

Feltwad

Grouse Butt ready for the next Drive

P1010007-6.jpg

• Like 1

Set the wood on fire with the muzzle loader, must have been early 50s, used Daily Mirror for wadding along with a lot of other stuff,

Fired at a pair of Mallard rising of the pond and set reads on fire which spread, didn't hang about long as shouldn't have been there to start with.

For percussion caps I used cat slugs with brimstone from match heads in them, used to get a bit of a lag but worked.

Carried a fine bit of wire to clear touch hole as the lead from pellet didn't always blow clear. Happy days

Set the wood on fire with the muzzle loader, must have been early 50s, used Daily Mirror for wadding along with a lot of other stuff,

Fired at a pair of Mallard rising of the pond and set reads on fire which spread, didn't hang about long as shouldn't have been there to start with.

For percussion caps I used cat slugs with brimstone from match heads in them, used to get a bit of a lag but worked.

Carried a fine bit of wire to clear touch hole as the lead from pellet didn't always blow clear. Happy days

Yes Snarepeg we have all been there personally I preferred toilet roll when wads had to be cut with a punch ,this method did have serious consequences has far has setting fire to the vegetation but most serious was loading powder straight from the flask if a spark from the toilet paper was alight in the barrel , this did happen to me with a full flask of powder igniting in my hand and leaving me badly burnt so that but a end to toilet paper, it is better to use good card wads and pre measured charges

Feltwad

What was left from That Flask

P1010003-10.jpg

Edited by Feltwad

Still have glass bits in me, my powder flask blew up with spark left in barrel, well my mothers best glass salt cellar, I had made a muzzle loading rifle from an old rifle barrel,(Webley mk11 service) and salt cellar fitted the .22 barrel fine.

Nearly blinded, lost lots of blood and not a hair on my head, doctor peddled up 2 hours after, ordered ambulance which never arrived.

Hospital on bus for operation to remove large piece of cellar bottom from right palm, looking at it now as I type and someone smiled on me that day.

No body phoned police and it was heard for quite a distance, no cell phones and very few private ones then.

The days when you got on the bus with it in a hessian sack and no one blinked an eye.

Dad cut it up and buried it, but it never stopped me shooting anything that came to hand.

Then it was the army, mk4 Lee enfield and a Vickers m/c gun. Very happy days. John