Loading The Black Powder Cartridge

With Factory made black powder cartridges more difficult to obtain and more so the price loading your own is more cheaper . Items needed are the black powder in medium grade for 12 bore and less cartridges and coarse black powder for larger bores , you will also need 1/8 card wads and also felt wads of 1/2 inch, 1/16 over shot card wads, You can still load black powder cartridges on the original loading tools which consist of a capper de-capper and a rolled turnover tool if you want to use spent shotgun cartridges you will need a resizing tool and some 209 primers plus a hand powder measure that throws a charge from 2.1/2 drms to 3 1/2 drams of black powder .When loading black powder always use a volume load this also applies to a muzzle loader

To load a 12 bore cartridge first size the case and fit a new 209 primer using the capper ,de -capping tool then take your powder measure which should be set at 2.3/4 drams ,this measure size will throw a volume load of shot at 1.1/8 oz,take a level scoop of black powder and pour into the case , next take 1/8 card followed by a 1/2 felt wad or clenna wad and ram both down onto the powder ,then take a 1/16 card wad and place onto the felt wad this should always be done the reason been that if no card is placed on top of felt when the gun is fired the shot embeds into the wad and leaves the gun like a bullet it also blows the pattern. Next take the measure and using the same setting place a scoop full of shot into the cartridge and finish with a 1/16 over shot card ,trim of the old crimp leaving about 3.1/6 of the case for a rolled turnover place in the turnover and finish the cartridge with a good turn over

Feltwad

Original Loading Tools

100_1190_zpsncv3tbie.jpg

Original Cartridge Loading Tools

100_1185_zps8ymwk0ii.jpg

Edited by Feltwad
  • Like 2

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With Factory made black powder cartridges more difficult to obtain and more so the price loading your own is more cheaper . Items needed are the black powder in medium grade for 12 bore and less cart

Nothing like the smell of black powder. Nice soft recoil, stiff breeze helps, opposit way from target direction to get you second (if needed)shot of. Fun on the clays as well Load some each season

Seems that way black powder shooting both game and clays has so much too offer Feltwad

Us black powder users don't get noticed much here feltwad.

They are mostly seduced by smokeless cartridge guns, so much so their vision to the road of true happiness is heavily fogged!

Seems that way black powder shooting both game and clays has so much too offer

Feltwad

• Like 1

What does black powder offer over nitro to clay and game shooters?

Tradition It is living the past when one pheasant shot with black powder be it with a hammer gun ,percussion muzzle loader or a flintlock is worth 10 shot with a nitro over and under .

Feltwad

Nitro = mass slaughter why?

f***ing stupid comment

Not a very sportsman like manner of a reply

Feltwad

I don't know how much I care?

Seen that sort of shit a few times on here. It wears thin.

Thought when I entered this thread that it would have been of sound advice to those that wished to load and shoot black powder cartridges but it seems that it has offended some, that was not my case.

Feltwad

Would love to have reloaded black powder but was told I had to join a club to get a black powder certificate, so sold my reloading tools and baught the black powder cartridges. If I remember right they where £26.50 a box of 25. I ordered 4 boxs then the carriage was £20 for delivery. Bloody expensive but loved using them!

Would love to have reloaded black powder but was told I had to join a club to get a black powder certificate, so sold my reloading tools and baught the black powder cartridges. If I remember right they where £26.50 a box of 25. I ordered 4 boxs then the carriage was £20 for delivery. Bloody expensive but loved using them!

Tom burras

What you have been told is not correct you can buy black powder providing you have a SGC or a Firearms Licence for to load black powder cartridges or to use in a percussion or flintlock gun ..You will need a box to keep it in inside a locked cabinet which will have to be passed by your local constabulary ,providing your have no other powder or ammo you are allowed to keep 15 kilos , the average cost for loading your own for a box of 25 is about £5.

Feltwad