Dry Skin

Im having a few issues with my dogs skin.

I rehomed this lad a few months back and he was used to living in a kennel. He now lives in the house. Ive noticed in the last month or two that his skin is dry all the time, he has danruff and flaky skin most of the time however his coat is great. His skin isn't red and he isn't itching at all.

His current diet is a mixture of Dr Johns Titanium dry and NaturesBest Raw mince (various types) supplemented with Salmon Oil. He's fit as a fiddle in himself but I just don't seem to be able to shift this dry skin. As you can see I am supplementing his food with salmon oil as this is one recommendation to improve dry skin, I have also tried brushing his coat everyday and to increase his drinking of water. One observation is he drinks very little in comparison to other dogs I have owned.

Anyone else had this issue and if so what did you try? I'm on the cusp of taking him to the Vets about it but thought id see if anyone had any advice on here too. Could it be because he's moved into a drier environment that he's used to (kennel to house)?

I've seen the same thing in dogs that have moved inside after living in kennels, it usually clears up itself once they're used to the new environment though. I assume you haven't seen any improvement since you got him?

I'd try upping the oil a bit and see if that makes any difference before taking him to the vet

I've seen the same thing in dogs that have moved inside after living in kennels, it usually clears up itself once they're used to the new environment though. I assume you haven't seen any improvement since you got him?

I'd try upping the oil a bit and see if that makes any difference before taking him to the vet

I periodically notice improvements but there doesn't seem to be a complete end to the issue, I was also considering adding more oil so I'll try that thanks

I had the same issues when fed on some dry.

I mainly feed raw and have no issues now,a good scrub in a bath gets rid of most the dandruff and brush with a hound MIT encourages natural oils

Thanks, did you use dog shampoo when you bathed them? If so, what did you use?

Don't use shampoo regularly as it dries up the skin, once in a while is okay. You may well see an improvement as he changes his coat. If he was short of energy it might be a thyroid issue but no worries about that if he is fine otherwise. Start brushing him every other day with a slicker brush if he is rough or long-haired (gently, the spikes can upset some dogs) or a soft rubber curry comb if short-haired to help him shed and stimulate the oil glands in the skin. You should see an improvement after a few weeks. Also make sure he has been wormed with a complete wormer like Drontal plus or Milbemax (not the Bob Martin rubbish).