Names For Names Sake In Breeding

aussie you are wrong of course they produce as in race horses pigions etc its genetics and if you get it right jobs done its plan to see through the lines of dogs that exist today

There are a lot of well bred horses go for dog food every year, if it were easy, we would all have world beaters, most are average at best, same as dogs pal

• Like 2

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your a hundred % committed to dogs ....you have time for nothing else   I've been fortunate to know and met a handful of people who are dogmen,   I'm happy just to be a man with a dog   I'

its good too know how they bred, especially if you own one, but most important is how sire n dam perform

One thing I have learnt about dogs you work with what you have got, the pluses and minuses, you try to enhance the qualities and try to compensate for the minuses. Nothing is written in stone in the d

Yeah,in greyhound litters your lucky to get 1 pup that ends up on city tracks.Anyway most hunters are happy with a dog that fills the freezer and don't give a toss about names and pedigree's.As the old dog men say,its not who you are, its what you can do.

• Like 2

My main point was..it's maybe better to repeat on good dogs name in a pedigree 3 or 4 times than have 5 or 6 unrelated dogs in there especially if they are totally different types like bull Saluki beddy and crosses.

My main point was..it's maybe better to repeat on good dogs name in a pedigree 3 or 4 times than have 5 or 6 unrelated dogs in there especially if they are totally different types like bull Saluki beddy and crosses.

I agree with that roybo. I would prefer to Line breed to say a dog like foxy. If her name appears 5 or 6 times in a ped them imo you have more chance of reproducing that great animal? As has been said surely the more mongrely the dog is then surely it's more guess work as to how the dog will turn out.

I must also add that the coursing English saluki has practically became a breed on its own. We are starting to get to the point now we're most weak links have been bred out in some of the great lines ? Breeding like this from a long heritage of good dogs only leaves good dogs, for the pups to throw back to. There is no mongrel in these lines ?

ETA... Just my opinion lads ?

Edited by NE_courser
  • Like 2

thats my point mate most unless theyre in the no wont get acsess to the best because theyve been giffted or sold most them adverts out there are as dc says people using name to make a quick buck also there should be a lot of reaserch done before buying a pup most out there advertisin are full of sxxx

• Like 1

I still to this day dont know how folk can buy lurchers coursing dogs etc of these free adds sites without ever knowing fully whats in them or there breeding or ever seeing the parents work or knowing the people that are selling them ,getting a pup of a good well bred tight line of people you know and trust still does not guarentee that a dog will make the grade when reaching maturity but it sure as shit gives you a better gamble at knowing what your going to get, half the dogs these folks name are often on open stud anyway there just making it easier for idiots to dilute working dogs with scatter bred shit with bullshit made up breeding they spout on free adds sites

• Like 1

Lots of lads selling well known line bred stuff are full of bull shit also. Plenty of top papered dogs are not what they purport to be. Most dogs fit for purpose stay with one owner all their lives dont get punted around the country as studs etc. Eperience says that a good dog will have been watched at one time or another even if its by only one or two knowledgeable folk. Videos may or may not be what they seem its easy to pick and choose and leave discarded stuff on the cutting room floor, a dog out in the frost putting in a shift in real life will soon be exposed if it comes up short any dog can have an off day or a f**k me moment but one thats been around a few seasons working and running what ever is there will be worth a punt without all the reams of paper and the showroom spiel.

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 3

DB I agree with a lot of what your saying, but not everyone is out to rip people off. Some litters from top bred WORKING parents are all given away to good owners for free or sold cheaply with the promise of a good life.

I do however agree again on the fact that the parents to any pup should, always see a fair few seasons graft before being bred from.

But even with that said I'd still prefer for the parents to be bred from a history of doers, so to speak, but again this is jmho.

top bred animals tend to re produce better. Than a scatter bred dog were the pups could throw to a number of different breeds.

I could rattle a list off now the length of my arm to support the above but I don't think that this site is the right place for that.

Also when I'm speaking of top bred animals I don't just mean coursing bred dogs. The same applys for lurchers of thier various crosses, pure breeds, Salukis etc.

Stone rose hit the nail on the head for me. Do your HOMEWORK. Don't buy into the bullshit. There are great lines out there that produce time & time again in all breeds. It's not make believe but cold hard facts!

All the best DB ?

• Like 2

''Twas me that said that Fuji ?

Well to be honest. I'm not saying they won't produce. Of course they will, there will always be exceptions to the rule & vice Versa. How many top bred coursing dogs didn't leave anything of credit behind them because it's a lot!

Laddie was a great dog but what did he really leave other than Fred's duke?

Duke imo was the producer, but his mum was off quality saluki/greyhound breeding so that's no surprise to me.

I'm just saying how I think. Be it right or wrong it's just an opinion, same as the other thousands on this site have...

I'm gonna leave it there, as I don't wanna get sucked into any petty arguments.

Edited to add.... imo the hard work has been done years ago in most lines. There is in my opinion no need to reinvent the wheel. But again this is only my way of thinking. If lads ain't happy with what's available then fair play for trying to create something that is better

Atb ?

Edited by NE_courser
  • Like 2

thats a fair point that :thumbs: its always a gamble what a pup will turn out like with 4-5 different breeds in the mix , even with 2nd gen 1xs , you get a bit of variation in size/temp and that just 2 breeds , just the same as 3/8 5/8 xs , both type % i like in a lurcher, and what i look for if i wanted another type x :yes:

One thing I have learnt about dogs you work with what you have got, the pluses and minuses, you try to enhance the qualities and try to compensate for the minuses. Nothing is written in stone in the dog game its guaranteed to be euphoric and break your heart all in the same day but thats life enjoy what you have give it 100% no one can do more than that. If you arent prepared to give 100% then get into another game.

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 5

One thing I have learnt about dogs you work with what you have got, the pluses and minuses, you try to enhance the qualities and try to compensate for the minuses. Nothing is written in stone in the dog game its guaranteed to be euphoric and break your heart all in the same day but thats life enjoy what you have give it 100% no one can do more than that. If you arent prepared to give 100% then get into another game.

bang on 100% ?