Rock Breaking.

https://youtu.be/FRMf7zA77l8

Some lads will say this has nothing to do with terrierwork but you often read of the old timers doing it, particularly in Northern Britain.

How many could do it nowadays if a terrier was stuck ?

And has anyone on here ever seen it done to rescue a terrier ?

P.S. does anyone know how to put up the vid within the thread.

Edited by neil cooney
  • Like 2

JMO but that gentleman made it look a lot more simple than it actually is. The secret is finding the seam and using that to break the rock.

Frank Buck was famous for doing the same with TNT which was available easily then (my grandfather used to sell TNT over the counter for farmers who wanted to blow a new well.) .

• Like 1

He's got his stone on what looks to be another stone so splitting that would be easy.theres nothing around the stone packing it in.

I've pushed a few of these with a dozer in my time.

And if that stone was in the ground with just the surface exposed. that method wouldn't do nothing to it.its a boulder rock not seem rock.

I've slammed bucket teeth from a 90ton excavator into them boulders and it only makes a little Mark and a little dust.

• Like 1

That's very impressive. How fit was that old fella as well that hammer would have took some swinging. I've seen similar methods used on rescues but it'easy now to get access a stillsaw.

Funny this should come up we had a rescue a few months back in a big rock pile. But luckily one of our members has access to a lot of tackle saws brakers that sort of stuff and we got the dog out. And the conversation came up about how the boy's like Frank Buck got on in the old days and the answer is there skill and determination and a bit of TNT haha

• Like 5

i split stones bigger than that for the rnli slipway in Dundee , make sure the grain of the stones running the way u want it split,start it with your chisel put ur plugs in an batter it...... You can hear it [BANNED TEXT] its ready to split that aul guy could do that with his eyes shut and I bet he's stronger than some lads in their 20, never had to split stone to get a terrier out but knowing how to move and handle stone certainly helps

• Like 4

hard work and skill

a pack i follow now and again has a few lads good at it might take a while to dig around and expose the one you need to break

0.4 could take hours

had it myself on some permission In the lakes. Had a metre mark, couldn't break up the rock as they had too much cushioning from the sediment in between. Shovel was useless and the dig ended up being twice the width that we started due to big boulders being wedged in between each other. Never been back since, no wonder its always holding ?
  • Like 2