Rear Dif Wind Up ?

bought a suzuki grand vitara 08 plate 1.9 diesel 6 months ago in that time it has been back and forth to the garage . The problem is after you have driven about 12 to 15 miles you get a rumble from the back axle when pulling away in first or reversing this is so bad it feels as though back axle is going to fall out . Been back to suzuki who said its rear dif wind up reverse it up the road about 100yrds it will unwind also they changed my tyres round put the front to the back . As i said this only happens when you do more than 12 miles ? Any thoughts as to what this could be as i dont believe its dif wind up i had a disco before this and never had to keep reversing that up the road.

HI have a good look at the 4wd switch on the dash sometimes it seems to take awhile to

take effect ? is it in locked diff mode ? 12 miles seems along way to go and then tighten up

mine only done it once and just reversed and it cleared had been shunting caravan about in diff lock mode

and ithink the switch didn't work instantly before driving up road

ps I'm no expert lol

is this model permanent 4wd ? if not you wont get diff wind up unless it is switched into 4wd , with 4wd switched of try it on a slippy surface and see if its actually in or out of 4wd , as blackfell says it may have a faulty switch or some other problem

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What was the outcome

changed oil in diff fingers crossed it seems fine now :thumbs:

no good now changed gear box brackets as they were broke sill no good now booked in tuesday to have thrust bearing on clutch done . Fed up with this now surly all Suzuki's cant be like this

What was the outcome

no good now changed gear box brackets as they were broke sill no good now booked in tuesday to have thrust bearing on clutch done . Fed up with this now surly all Suzuki's cant be like this

very unlikely to be the thrust bearing, unless they are changing it under some sort of warranty don`t bother, but if you are paying for it change the complete unit, absolutely no point changing the bearing and then having to drop the box again when the rest of it needs doing, from memory the vit has a weird centre diff, if the back axle is ok i`d be looking there first, shame I've lost all my old training discs

• Like 1

What was the outcome

very unlikely to be the thrust bearing, unless they are changing it under some sort of warranty don`t bother, but if you are paying for it change the complete unit, absolutely no point changing the bearing and then having to drop the box again when the rest of it needs doing, from memory the vit has a weird centre diff, if the back axle is ok i`d be looking there first, shame I've lost all my old training discs

Google search mate it's all online nowadays ;)

What was the outcome

Google search mate it's all online nowadays ;)

used to be a Suzuki tech, not got access now I've left