What Adds More Drive Into A Lurcher Beddy Or Collie?

Im unsure if a lurcher can be truley game??

some lurchers have heart,courage or keen some are just physco but really truley game i dont think so but that just my opinion

Edited to say... maby the few dogs that took a red stag single .comeing up aginst some thing that weighs 150kg when the dog weighs 30kg thats pritty game

Edited by green dragon

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@ Fuji...   I think we have all been guilty of staying up too late and getting ourselves embroiled in senseless argument,...it is part and parcel of being passionate about the dogs. It is always

i like a bit of beddy and collie in my dawg

73 next month, happy as pigs in shit, got myself a decent little rabbiter , wife keeps asking me , what do you want for your birthday, nowt is my reply, ive got it all

Posted Images

Gameness is only a marking point of an extreme drive to make contact , the word Drive is misleading in itself.

A highly driven dog is still only trying to make contact same as any pup when it is stimulated it grabs and shakes it out, it's a huge emotional stimulation that needs addressing ,

Pain is just information to a dog the bigger the heart the less effect it has under duress Dogs are trained to accept pain as part and parcel of the feel good process of making contact in protection work but give it a slap when sitting laying up at home and you'll have a different effect on the mutt

All dogs will have a jumping off point as far as pain goes and I would suggest fatigue plays a huge part in deciding if a dog wants it or not but temperament is a funny thing seen pits that just don't want to know and hard bitten running dogs that would be only warming up after 15 minutes

And again not many dogs will dive into a frozen lake in the middle of winter hour after hour and come out wagging its tail like the lab but it's still all an overriding drive to make contact each dog has its own niche

There was some interesting research done some time ago that suggested that it's the body shape and anatomy that decided the behaviour of the canine and that to me opens up a completely different can of worms , their take on it was genetics plays a lesser part in behaviour than shape conformation structure anatomy etc

Some think only a pitbull will be game. A cock robin would fight to the death FFS. Gameness was around in a variety of animals before dogs or chickens were put in a pit.

Aye, but my money would be on the pit bull if it was facing a shamo stag ! Lol

Some think only a pitbull will be game. A cock robin would fight to the death FFS. Gameness was around in a variety of animals before dogs or chickens were put in a pit.

shamo would be heavier so it wouldn't be a fair fight
  • Like 1

shamo would be heavier so it wouldn't be a fair fight

Jiggy if you know of birds heavier than your average game dog you must have some Giants mate I'd be interested in buying stags or some eggs.

Gameness is only a marking point of an extreme drive to make contact , the word Drive is misleading in itself.

A highly driven dog is still only trying to make contact same as any pup when it is stimulated it grabs and shakes it out, it's a huge emotional stimulation that needs addressing ,

Pain is just information to a dog the bigger the heart the less effect it has under duress Dogs are trained to accept pain as part and parcel of the feel good process of making contact in protection work but give it a slap when sitting laying up at home and you'll have a different effect on the mutt

All dogs will have a jumping off point as far as pain goes and I would suggest fatigue plays a huge part in deciding if a dog wants it or not but temperament is a funny thing seen pits that just don't want to know and hard bitten running dogs that would be only warming up after 15 minutes

And again not many dogs will dive into a frozen lake in the middle of winter hour after hour and come out wagging its tail like the lab but it's still all an overriding drive to make contact each dog has its own niche

There was some interesting research done some time ago that suggested that it's the body shape and anatomy that decided the behaviour of the canine and that to me opens up a completely different can of worms , their take on it was genetics plays a lesser part in behaviour than shape conformation structure anatomy etc

very interesting.was it in germany by any chance.

So what would you all choose a beddy cross or collie cross. I've seen lurcher with no interest to chase and been more than capable to catch. But I've also seen heavy collie crosses with plenty of drive to chase but lack if speed. Sod sending a dog into a frozen lake. Will leave the to Torvill and Dean

I had an Australian cattle dog crossed with a lurched. Totally loyal, biddable and game. Just lacked a bit of speed.

I know a lady who breeds A.C.D. - she doesn't always use the best dogs with the best temperament. As long as they win in the show ting she's happy.

I also owned an Irish terrier. Lovely bitch, great temperament, not aggressive unless provoked, and remembered her training well - sit, stay, come etc. Great with kids.

I would love an Irish terrier first cross. Thick skin and coat, light build, hunting instinct and bold.