Right Or Wrong Comments Please

As someone who does both i think that article is a lie ,bollocks written by someone with a bigger ego than myself ,or Cooney lol. 3000 acres free of foxes lol,man wants a lesson in field study .

I have nv but we only use it to target a problem animal no matter what the species and only when all else fails .The thermal kit is however a game changer as ive seen it in action but to wipe out fox on that acreage would be imo impossible using shooting alone .Snares are far more effective in the right hands and ive seen areas decimated with large setting campaigns .Personally i find it strange that ANY fieldsportsmen would want to attempt to wipe out what is essentually the mainstay for many a sportsmans life .Claims like hes made are a sales pitch ,bet hes had thermal on test .Also ,even though many landowners despise the fox for its action ,none i know would want to see it gone .Just problems dealt with when they arise .

What thermal does to do, is allow the user to see into woodland as it picks up heat source anywhere within a given range ,what it dosnt allow is for the user to shoot through solid objects .As a tool to establish a population it is unrivalled but as the be all and end all ,cant see it .

Final word ..Thermal kit is in the thousands and out the reach of most shooters id say .

• Like 1

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The problem with the antis is that they allow blinkered emotions take over from rational common sense! They never considered what happens when foxhunting is banned. Everyone accepts that foxes are pes

I don't get what people get from doing this type of shooting. There's no field craft needed what so ever. It really sickens me to think lads can call this sport just wiping out populations of Fox.

IMO it's a step to far. It's one thing controlling foxes by taking out the potential trouble makers but these gadgets could potentially make the fox a rare species. Sadly the days where field craft w

As youngfellas we kept a few lurchers for fox and rabbit. We did course the odd hare but always with fair law and with never more than two dogs. Hares were rarely caught. Never did we slip a dog on a hare at night, having learned early on how vulnerable & stupid they are on the lamp. But we were often confronted both day and night by members of the local coursing club. Likewise landowners often confronted us again looking out for the hares on behalf of the coursing club. We didnt mind they seemed to realise we were genuine and no threat to the hares. So in my limited experience the coursing clubs definitely protected the hares and local support for the club also protected and preserved the hares.

• Like 1

Nothing new really, even without night vision a rifle can easily do double figures in a night & that's been going on for 20-30 years. That was our biggest problem in the 90s on most of our permissions.......we just started letting everything go when we could ( infact a week spent with BN was my biggest inspiration) & if keepers were there we would bag up & release elsewhere whenever possible.

Control was the least of our concerns....

• Like 5

Bucknell is always getting top of the range thermal kit to test AND promote but when I read that article whether it be truth or not! It would be something I would ever admit to! Surely he can't call himself a true countryman!

• Like 1

feeling guilty are you foxdropper a man who regularly shoots foxes where he digs is a man who don't have his terriers has first interests. you can't dig them and shoot them

Sometimes FB the rifle is a means to an end! It is just another means of dealing with a problem when other methods have failed. Personally the rifle is brought out on lambing and poultry calls by myself if it is practical to do so! I am not one to go for double figures it is another tool in the bag in my case! ATB
  • Like 1

The problem with the antis is that they allow blinkered emotions take over from rational common sense! They never considered what happens when foxhunting is banned. Everyone accepts that foxes are pests. And if you dont then you disagree with the very farming community that have managed the countryside since time began and whose livestock and livelyhoods are affected by these predators. Usually the problem foxes are injured, diseased or a vixen with cubs. These are the very foxes that are usually accounted for by hounds & terriers. While this removes the troublesome foxes it takes the pressure off the remaining population through less competition for food. Therefore they are less likely to cause problems. Never could or does a hunt wipeout or want to wipeout foxes completely. The natural balance is maintained! No other method can be as effective at targetting the problem foxes. Poison and traps/snares are not species specific ie. other species may also be killed. No marksman can kill 100% of the time. Therefore injured foxes can die a lingering death or become a worse pest due to that injury. No foxes live to see another day once caught by hounds! The antis have made life worse for the very animal they sought to protect. And into the bargain ruined a traditional fielsport that was the way of life for many and the heart of many rural communities. Less reason now for landowners to maintain covers and thick ditches that not only benefitted the foxes but all other wildlife! Same with the coursing. If there was poaching happening who were up at all hours protecting the hare, the local coursing community. Who does it now, definitely not the dreadlock waster of a hippe anti!! Muppets!!

Well said. In reality the Antis do more harm than good as they don't understand the countryside and need for its maintenance in a balanced fashion. Look what happened when they protected ole merles meles which was being controlled by farmers and hunters for centuries in a sensible and humane way.They soon bred out of control became a nuisance and prolific desease spreader which eventually became a national economic problem and in turn lead to the holocaust for the species with approx 180-200 thousand slaughtered by the government. Ditto starting now on the other side of the pond. I would guess more foxes have been killed since the hunting ban over the pond too? Well done the Antis. Plonkers.

Edited by Corkman
  • Like 4

feeling guilty are you foxdropper a man who regularly shoots foxes where he digs is a man who don't have his terriers has first interests. you can't dig them and shoot them

Sometimes FB the rifle is a means to an end! It is just another means of dealing with a problem when other methods have failed. Personally the rifle is brought out on lambing and poultry calls by myself if it is practical to do so! I am not one to go for double figures it is another tool in the bag in my case! ATB

it's the number of men out night after night shooting for which they think is sport fox population just won't cope the way it's going . I totally agree with using riffle when needed they are a great tool too great in my eyes atb

• Like 1

Nothing new really, even without night vision a rifle can easily do double figures in a night & that's been going on for 20-30 years. That was our biggest problem in the 90s on most of our permissions.......we just started letting everything go when we could ( infact a week spent with BN was my biggest inspiration) & if keepers were there we would bag up & release elsewhere whenever possible.

It's true that 30 + years ago the rifle and lamp was a serious fox killing combo but 10 years ago it was less effective.

Once the door slamming, smoking, wind on their back brigade showed up the fox began to become cute to calling and lamping. They could even cop the red lense.

I've seen a vixen take her cubs away from my call hence teaching them the danger. I was calling them in to fire a shot above their heads anyways, LOL, so no harm done.

In the last few years the popularity of maize has been a big help to the fox in that it's not harvested till late October, early November and the lamp can't infiltrate it. But the maize is falling out of favour with a lot of farmers and they're going back to silage.

But the infra red and NV in combination with a heavy rifle and huge scope is ALL in favour of the shooter with 0% skill.

At the moment these gadgets are expensive but as the market grows they'll get cheaper. Let's face it, Aldi are selling trail cameras now for less than 100 euro.

Another gadget for the geeks IMO that's misused.

We used to bag them and shift them years ago too but could you imagine being caught with one nowadays ??????????

• Like 1

It's the lack of respect for old Charlie that gets me just to be dropped by the road side cowboys and just left to rot with out even going over to see if it's a dog or vixen.

Now the antis will not understand this but true dog men do have respect for the Fox. But o well you can't educate pork can you.

Edited by Rat face
  • Like 7

It's true that 30 + years ago the rifle and lamp was a serious fox killing combo but 10 years ago it was less effective.

Once the door slamming, smoking, wind on their back brigade showed up the fox began to become cute to calling and lamping. They could even cop the red lense.

I've seen a vixen take her cubs away from my call hence teaching them the danger. I was calling them in to fire a shot above their heads anyways, LOL, so no harm done.

In the last few years the popularity of maize has been a big help to the fox in that it's not harvested till late October, early November and the lamp can't infiltrate it. But the maize is falling out of favour with a lot of farmers and they're going back to silage.

But the infra red and NV in combination with a heavy rifle and huge scope is ALL in favour of the shooter with 0% skill.

At the moment these gadgets are expensive but as the market grows they'll get cheaper. Let's face it, Aldi are selling trail cameras now for less than 100 euro.

Another gadget for the geeks IMO that's misused.

We used to bag them and shift them years ago too but could you imagine being caught with one nowadays ??????????

Yeh different times Neil, you certainly wouldn't catch me transporting these days! Haha..... I understand control, especially with today's legal restraints, but then we didn't have sheep country to worry about or moorland to manage, it was just endless shooting syndicates, a self perpetuating problem........dump 1000's of easy meals into the countryside & what do expect? So I had little conscience about letting stuff go....

It is the down side of 90% of what I've been involved with over here, it's mainly all organised by hunting syndicates, so everything is dispatched, but I admit, I got great pleasure from letting stuff run in past times.

Control with thermal imaging etc is another level though & in some areas, very questionable?

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 2

it's the number of men out night after night shooting for which they think is sport fox population just won't cope the way it's going . I totally agree with using riffle when needed they are a great tool too great in my eyes atb

What a f***ing hypocrite ..