Yes Or No?

2 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Aye that’s it you’ve never seen one but you still are fairly sure it’s impossible to catch one ....... see my point ? Again not being a prick. I reckon I’ve seen some lowland fallow that would drag some of those hill stags about the place ...... 

Who said it's impossible? 

Has any been pulled over, probably but the cards would have likely been stacked against the animal. 

What I don't believe is these folk that claim to have out and out single handed dogs, absolute bullshite if you've seen a red stag in full stride. 

Edited by Greb147

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seen plenty in The New Forest,..big old things.... My old dogs never made any impression on them ,..and in a way I was glad.... Also walked into large Reds on Scottish Isles,...plus had a few runs,

In the past, I've caught plenty of Fallow Does and Pricketts with my roustabout curs,..but only a couple of fairish Bucks,...a wire fence, (and a deep ditch) helped out Big floppy old things,

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Greb147 said:

Who said it's impossible? 

Has any been pulled over, probably but the cards would have likely been stacked against the animal. 

What I don't believe is these folk that claim to have out and out single handed dogs, absolute bullshite if you've seen a red stag in full stride. 

That’s the thing - absolute bull shit and yet youve not seen one, let alone tried to run one .......

just find it curious how people’s minds work that’s all ......

10 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

That’s the thing - absolute bull shit and yet youve not seen one, let alone tried to run one .......

just find it curious how people’s minds work that’s all ......

I have run them, we've caught them before. 

Put it this way it wasn't with the one dog, if you had seen the size of the dogs as well you would appreciate how strong the animals are. 

Folk who claim to walk the fields with a single dog pulling  red stags are telling tales if you ask me. 

If someone wants to prove otherwise I'd be happy to say I'm wrong. 

Edited by Greb147
  • Like 3
18 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

Ill add in, that I reckon you'd have a more powerful beast and it be harder to stop when chasing southern fallow bucks, especially in the rut, than you'd find fight in some hill stags in say late winter.

Seen some very large, strong fallow bucks around, which were also surprisingly very fast. And I'd say yes, they would be harder to catch than 'some' undernourished hill red stags.

1 minute ago, shaaark said:

Seen some very large, strong fallow bucks around, which were also surprisingly very fast. And I'd say yes, they would be harder to catch than 'some' undernourished hill red stags.

Aye that was kind of where I was going, its not as simple as one species is hardest and one easiest.

Just now, SheepChaser said:

Aye that was kind of where I was going, its not as simple as one species is hardest and one easiest.

Yeah, I'd also like to pont out that I've seen a few roe deer, that I was convinced at the time, that no dog would catch. Speed and agility of them was jaw dropping.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Yeah, I'd also like to pont out that I've seen a few roe deer, that I was convinced at the time, that no dog would catch. Speed and agility of them was jaw dropping.

I once pre ban hunted the same roe buck for about four months, from harvest until sometime in December, ran it a few times in different spots and it very fairly got away through shear speed, agility and running brain, the thing was awesome to watch, eventually it lost the race, and to be fair the dog really deserved it, and it was a kind of happy / sad moment. I’ve still got his head. 

• Like 8
27 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I once pre ban hunted the same roe buck for about four months, from harvest until sometime in December, ran it a few times in different spots and it very fairly got away through shear speed, agility and running brain, the thing was awesome to watch, eventually it lost the race, and to be fair the dog really deserved it, and it was a kind of happy / sad moment. I’ve still got his head. 

Should of left him 2 breed u horrible man

Some of the fallow bucks round me are awesome beasts. One ran out on me whilst driving a transit van once did a massive right turn and was literally running alongside me, his headgear was higher than the van and his size and power was breathtaking. Remember thinking at the time any dog that could take him down would be some animal, fortunately I owned a very game beddywhippet at the time so no problem at all....??

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

Some of the fallow bucks round me are awesome beasts. One ran out on me whilst driving a transit van once did a massive right turn and was literally running alongside me, his headgear was higher than the van and his size and power was breathtaking. Remember thinking at the time any dog that could take him down would be some animal, fortunately I owned a very game beddywhippet at the time so no problem at all....??

? lol

I reckon half the people who pass comments on big deer have knocked over w few roe in batting around and are assuming that by dint of species that by escalation of height and weights it’s the same game . 

It f***ing isn’t . 

knocking a roe over to me is bog standard for a decent lurcher . most should master them easier them big fallow  herds are a different prospect than chasing a roe buck out of cover 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I reckon half the people who pass comments on big deer have knocked over w few roe in batting around and are assuming that by dint of species that by escalation of height and weights it’s the same game . 

It f***ing isn’t . 

knocking a roe over to me is bog standard for a decent lurcher . most should master them easier them big fallow  herds are a different prospect than chasing a roe buck out of cover 

Lol,  f***ing hell stiffy,  you've got to be the biggest skeptic on this entire site lol ?

5 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

It f***ing isn’t . 

Totally agree.  Roe fold like an origami swan, fallow will knock a dog around like a red headed step child.  Pre ban I was given the opportunity to run red, I was realistic enough to know my dogs MAY of had the heart, but they certainly didn't have the tools

• Like 1