Yes Or No?

23 hours ago, Boss-Hog said:

you get fallow buck that's been around and seen dogs it will deff open some peoples eyes especialywiv their deer dogs, regular buck dog different class 

A fallow buck in prime condition is a task for any dog definitely alot harder than a roe. 

Roe certainly can shift but they don't have much fight once caught. The fallow buck on the other hand can shift and has the power to knock a dog out of the way. 

Iv seen them turn around on the dog and have ago, they certainly opened my eyes.

Never ran a red stag, don't think I would  entertain one for the sake of the dog

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seen plenty in The New Forest,..big old things.... My old dogs never made any impression on them ,..and in a way I was glad.... Also walked into large Reds on Scottish Isles,...plus had a few runs,

In the past, I've caught plenty of Fallow Does and Pricketts with my roustabout curs,..but only a couple of fairish Bucks,...a wire fence, (and a deep ditch) helped out Big floppy old things,

Posted Images

On 17/12/2020 at 19:43, SheepChaser said:

I’d think there’s been a few dogs killed by such animals. 

I had my deerhound threw about 3m in the air by a fallow, he turned around faced her then got her in his antlers and just threw her like she was nothing

3 hours ago, Greb147 said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13614824/tributes-paid-hunstman-ger-withers-cork-stag/?utm_campaign=sunmainfacebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1609442990

This is what we are working with here, one's thing is for sure if you're a known hunter you will get no sympathy should you be killed. 

Pet/Park deer far more dangerous, after they lose their fear of humans. Although I have known someone to be charged by a wild sika stag.

• Like 1

I’d love to see a dog single handed do one of them IMO I don’t think any dog in open land would hold one bull greyhounds game as can be and like dinosaurs three of them couldn’t do it not going to happen 

42 minutes ago, Gavo said:

I’d love to see a dog single handed do one of them IMO I don’t think any dog in open land would hold one bull greyhounds game as can be and like dinosaurs three of them couldn’t do it not going to happen 

You mean a southern one or just any red stag?

Edited by Shadow100
25 minutes ago, Gavo said:

Red stags 

Both southern & highland can and have been done with 2 dogs. When it comes to highland stags as well bull greyhounds definitely aren’t the dogs for the job.
I think if you had the right dog on the day, and the stag was far enough away from woodland it could be done on the hills single handed, but I’ve never known it to be done yet so can’t say it definitely can be. 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Both southern & highland can and have been done with 2 dogs. When it comes to highland stags as well bull greyhounds definitely aren’t the dogs for the job.
I think if you had the right dog on the day, and the stag was far enough away from woodland it could be done on the hills single handed, but I’ve never known it to be done yet so can’t say it definitely can be. 

What your personal experience of this do you have .A dog able to do them doubled up the now? It would be interesting to here you sound very knowledgeable in this field.  

I’ve seen old hunts were hounds run them down then bigger dogs hold them but all the ones I’ve seen as always been in cover never seen or heard of dogs holding them out in fields or stopping them on a run as in lamping them 

14 minutes ago, Gavo said:

I’ve seen old hunts were hounds run them down then bigger dogs hold them but all the ones I’ve seen as always been in cover never seen or heard of dogs holding them out in fields or stopping them on a run as in lamping them 

Never seen it in fields mate but up Scottish highlands it’s all done on open hill so plenty space for a pair of dogs to chip away at it if they’ve got enough heart & stamina to stay on.