Yes Or No?

18 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

What dogs are running and Catching hill reds? 

the majority would jack before you got to them otherwise . At least with cars you can easily get to it and help out, other than it turning into a disaster 

I really do wonder how these Bands of mystical hill walkers extract from the hill without drawing attention to themselves . 

Or like most things , it could just be a crock of shit 

There’s not many that do it, that’s largely because there’s not many men trying it. Believe me though no bullshit I’ve done them myself and seen them done by others dogs it’s not an unachievable task. You just need a durable, experienced deer dog with plenty of wind and you’ll stand a fair chance. Fair play southern reds are much bigger but shining a lamp on them, driving them round in a motor then getting to the dogs straight away after they’ve made contact is a totally different game, the motor will make plenty dogs look better than they are. When the dogs got to run them on their own ground, in daylight, and hold them till you make your way there, there’s no hiding places for a dog you’ll see if it’s truly capable or not. That’s just my take on things from seeing it first hand.

As for extraction I’d say the sensible thing to do would be bone it out and take the meat off the hill in bags, and ditch the carcass somewhere discretely for the crows/foxes/raptors to clean up. All hypothetical of course but that’s what I’d imagine is the best way.

I agree with you though there’s plenty men walk the hills, take picture of their dogs with the garmins on, and try to give the impression they’ve got red deer dogs when they don’t. But that’s not all of them. 

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 1

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seen plenty in The New Forest,..big old things.... My old dogs never made any impression on them ,..and in a way I was glad.... Also walked into large Reds on Scottish Isles,...plus had a few runs,

In the past, I've caught plenty of Fallow Does and Pricketts with my roustabout curs,..but only a couple of fairish Bucks,...a wire fence, (and a deep ditch) helped out Big floppy old things,

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

There’s not many that do it, that’s largely because there’s not many men trying it. Believe me though no bullshit I’ve done them myself and seen them done by others dogs it’s not an unachievable task. You just need a durable, experienced deer dog with plenty of wind and you’ll stand a fair chance. Fair play southern reds are much bigger but shining a lamp on them, driving them round in a motor then getting to the dogs straight away after they’ve made contact is a totally different game, the motor will make plenty dogs look better than they are. When the dogs got to run them on their own ground, in daylight, and hold them till you make your way there, there’s no hiding places for a dog you’ll see if it’s truly capable or not. That’s just my take on things from seeing it first hand.

As for extraction I’d say the sensible thing to do would be bone it out and take the meat off the hill in bags, and ditch the carcass somewhere discretely for the crows/foxes/raptors to clean up. All hypothetical of course but that’s what I’d imagine is the best way.

I agree with you though there’s plenty men walk the hills, take picture of their dogs with the garmins on, and try to give the impression they’ve got red deer dogs when they don’t. But that’s not all of them. 

Thing is that I’ve been to the wildest places in the Uk 

up the north of Scotland , Skye , the lakes at all times of the year . And I know exactly how many people are knocking around up there. 

I was at aviemore and we walked to ptmarigan and waited until it was open , it was like McDonald’s on a Friday night . 

ive Ben to lurchers crag , I’ve been all over feshie and everywhere I’ve been , I’ve seen people . 

I just don’t buy the wild lands bollocks . It’s not true 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Thing is that I’ve been to the wildest places in the Uk 

up the north of Scotland , Skye , the lakes at all times of the year . And I know exactly how many people are knocking around up there. 

I was at aviemore and we walked to ptmarigan and waited until it was open , it was like McDonald’s on a Friday night . 

ive Ben to lurchers crag , I’ve been all over feshie and everywhere I’ve been , I’ve seen people . 

I just don’t buy the wild lands bollocks . It’s not true 

i was working on feshie estate few year ago there shooting every beast of the hill up that neck of the woods rewilding the place every cottage on it renovated for rich american toursists never seen as many chalkys running about as on that estate thousands of them 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Fair play to lads who used to mix it with reds , I'd not have had the balls for it nor boar. I subconsciously encouraged my busher on a southern red stag hinds spikers etc, fair law I immediately regretted it , and as a mate pointed out it was lucky he wasn't being worn as a hat, I not want to tangle unless preban with a gun and dogs on private land. The southern ones are certainly some beast, and as for people, I'm at the point where I can't go anywhere without people and their dogs spoiling it , covid has definitely exacerbated this issue , to the point I'm not enjoying my mooches now, people walking collies in a forest in the dark off the beaten track at six am it's gone mad lol...

Now theres sommat boar with the bushers

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Fair play to lads who used to mix it with reds , I'd not have had the balls for it nor boar. I subconsciously encouraged my busher on a southern red stag hinds spikers etc, fair law I immediately regretted it , and as a mate pointed out it was lucky he wasn't being worn as a hat, I not want to tangle unless preban with a gun and dogs on private land. The southern ones are certainly some beast, and as for people, I'm at the point where I can't go anywhere without people and their dogs spoiling it , covid has definitely exacerbated this issue , to the point I'm not enjoying my mooches now, people walking collies in a forest in the dark off the beaten track at six am it's gone mad lol...

Same problem, I look forward to howling weather now because it usually discourages most people lol

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Balaur said:

I’m having same issue out of bed early head to the moors if people aren’t already there camping there just arriving ??‍♂️ Can’t even walk a couple miles out the way seems to be people everywhere. 

• Like 1

Some interesting replies as usual on these threads. Im not really qualified to comment too much as I've never really run them or seen them run in the flesh, but I've had the pleasure of seeing them in various bits of the country so will throw my bit in lol.

There is a massive variation in them, just like all species. They all all big, but an unfed hill red on furthest flung bits of the highlands, is a world away from a southern beast who's been running about eating silage grass and maize crops.

Im sure probably more folk than you'd think have killed hill reds, especially does, and folk have no doubt dropped their fair share of hill stags with a couple of dogs and maybe a favourable gully or peat bog in the mix.

Im also sure that many of them are not the ones who like to look like they've done it and so it follows that many who like to look like they have done it haven't.

Ill add in, that I reckon you'd have a more powerful beast and it be harder to stop when chasing southern fallow bucks, especially in the rut, than you'd find fight in some hill stags in say late winter.

I also reckon its true that there are folk who will have dropped southern big boys with a dog / dogs, not many, but I bet they exist and not just the idiots throwing six dogs on one and ramming it with a motor.

On the topic of motors, I dont really get on board with chasing f**k out of a beast or ramming it just to get it over and throw your dogs on it for a photo. . . . but lets be real here, in you have a plan to slip your brace of dogs on a big daddy southern red stag on relatively open ground at night, what use are you going to be if you're four fields away plodding along like a muppet, while your dogs are getting dragged around by the stag. . . . if you're gonna drop it, its going to most likely take some balls by the handler to get it on the deck and sorted. Its not like you're going to slip the dogs on him a hundred yards down the beam and watch a nice little course and then see him spun over and throated is it.

Ive never done it . . . would I like to try? Only if I had dogs that i hand on heart thought would have a good chance, and currently . . . . . i dont lol. Maybe a hill red, they are only little after all.

8 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

Some interesting replies as usual on these threads. Im not really qualified to comment too much as I've never really run them or seen them run in the flesh, but I've had the pleasure of seeing them in various bits of the country so will throw my bit in lol.

There is a massive variation in them, just like all species. They all all big, but an unfed hill red on furthest flung bits of the highlands, is a world away from a southern beast who's been running about eating silage grass and maize crops.

Im sure probably more folk than you'd think have killed hill reds, especially does, and folk have no doubt dropped their fair share of hill stags with a couple of dogs and maybe a favourable gully or peat bog in the mix.

Im also sure that many of them are not the ones who like to look like they've done it and so it follows that many who like to look like they have done it haven't.

Ill add in, that I reckon you'd have a more powerful beast and it be harder to stop when chasing southern fallow bucks, especially in the rut, than you'd find fight in some hill stags in say late winter.

I also reckon its true that there are folk who will have dropped southern big boys with a dog / dogs, not many, but I bet they exist and not just the idiots throwing six dogs on one and ramming it with a motor.

On the topic of motors, I dont really get on board with chasing f**k out of a beast or ramming it just to get it over and throw your dogs on it for a photo. . . . but lets be real here, in you have a plan to slip your brace of dogs on a big daddy southern red stag on relatively open ground at night, what use are you going to be if you're four fields away plodding along like a muppet, while your dogs are getting dragged around by the stag. . . . if you're gonna drop it, its going to most likely take some balls by the handler to get it on the deck and sorted. Its not like you're going to slip the dogs on him a hundred yards down the beam and watch a nice little course and then see him spun over and throated is it.

Ive never done it . . . would I like to try? Only if I had dogs that i hand on heart thought would have a good chance, and currently . . . . . i dont lol. Maybe a hill red, they are only little after all.

That's the point, you need to be close by to give the dogs a helping hand. 

Plus you have the fact of needing a motor to transport such beasts when the time is right. 

Let's keep it realistic shall we, tales of lads walking the fields with a pair of dogs pulling red stags are just tales IMO. 

I can only speak for deer south of me, I've never ran those in Scotland but like someone pointed out before, the chance of doing that in obscurity is very far fetched if you ask me. 

• Like 2