Yes Or No?

I was chatting to a lad I have known for years the other night and the conversation turned to reds ( or pre ban reds as it was ) . He had a few tales .

First he was sat in cover next to a hedge with his bitch 3/4 grey 1/4 bull as his mates were drawing a marsh with beagles to flush foxes through . He said he heard something big coming along the hedge line behind him and he thought it was going to be a moorland pony , a red hind launched itself off  the wall next to him straight out into the open ground in front of him . He slipped the bitch and within about 100 yards the dog had the hind down and pinned by the throat , he was on hand in no time to dispatch it .

Second time , out with his bitch again and 2 pups about a year old each , drawing a bit of rough ground a red stag got out from behind a couple of trees , not a massive stag but still a stag , said the bitch was on it in no time . right up on the back of its neck , the pups flanked it one each side and he said it pulled down and was over and done with in under a minute .

The third, another stag , he said was a monster in some maize ground , slipped his bitch and a mates 1/2 cross on it , he said it took off and straight lined the dogs for speed but as it went to jump out of the field it hit the top of the hedge and fell back in to the field , he said it got up and the dogs pilled in one on a shoulder one on the rear leg , the stag kicked out and the leg dog was swatted away like a fly . With that the stag ran right at the lads with the one dog still holding on , they dived for cover , the shoulder dog lost its grip and the stag shot past over a hedge and into the forestry . He reckoned it was as intimidating as having a bull charging towards you and the noise was unreal .

Edited by runner neil
  • Like 2

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seen plenty in The New Forest,..big old things.... My old dogs never made any impression on them ,..and in a way I was glad.... Also walked into large Reds on Scottish Isles,...plus had a few runs,

In the past, I've caught plenty of Fallow Does and Pricketts with my roustabout curs,..but only a couple of fairish Bucks,...a wire fence, (and a deep ditch) helped out Big floppy old things,

Posted Images

I have done them befor and I tell ye one thing it's some sight to see a dog on one then to run around with 2 or 3 very heavy dog locked on the him like there were nothing makes you think I got a 12 point stag in the rut and trust me it put the shits up me for a moment or two no one dog on this earth could pull one single handed the only reason we stopped him is because he was in between 2 dry stone walls and the dogs that we had were pull fallow buck and sika stags single handed week in week out and he had broke his back leg trying to jump a wall the could have easy killed one of us or the dogs if he had chance 

Edited by CA$H 91
On 07/02/2020 at 12:46, CA$H 91 said:

I have done them befor and I tell ye one thing it's some sight to see a dog on one then to run around with 2 or 3 very heavy dog locked on the him like there were nothing makes you think I got a 12 point stag in the rut and trust me it put the shits up me for a moment or two no one dog on this earth could pull one single handed the only reason we stopped him is because he was in between 2 dry stone walls and the dogs that we had were pull fallow buck and sika stags single handed week in week out and he had broke his back leg trying to jump a wall the could have easy killed one of us or the dogs if he had chance 

I've read of a saying from medieval times that I forget the actual wording but it went something like this "The boar will put you in hospital but the stag will put you in the grave".

Primal... :good:

• Like 1
On 06/02/2020 at 12:27, runner neil said:

I was chatting to a lad I have known for years the other night and the conversation turned to reds ( or pre ban reds as it was ) . He had a few tales .

First he was sat in cover next to a hedge with his bitch 3/4 grey 1/4 bull as his mates were drawing a marsh with beagles to flush foxes through . He said he heard something big coming along the hedge line behind him and he thought it was going to be a moorland pony , a red hind launched itself off  the wall next to him straight out into the open ground in front of him . He slipped the bitch and within about 100 yards the dog had the hind down and pinned by the throat , he was on hand in no time to dispatch it .

Second time , out with his bitch again and 2 pups about a year old each , drawing a bit of rough ground a red stag got out from behind a couple of trees , not a massive stag but still a stag , said the bitch was on it in no time . right up on the back of its neck , the pups flanked it one each side and he said it pulled down and was over and done with in under a minute .

The third, another stag , he said was a monster in some maize ground , slipped his bitch and a mates 1/2 cross on it , he said it took off and straight lined the dogs for speed but as it went to jump out of the field it hit the top of the hedge and fell back in to the field , he said it got up and the dogs pilled in one on a shoulder one on the rear leg , the stag kicked out and the leg dog was swatted away like a fly . With that the stag ran right at the lads with the one dog still holding on , they dived for cover , the shoulder dog lost its grip and the stag shot past over a hedge and into the forestry . He reckoned it was as intimidating as having a bull charging towards you and the noise was unreal .

There was a guy on another fourm who said his dog could take red hind single , everyone doubted , he had  acouple members of that fourm up and his dog did it in front them , was pics prove it and the other lads there to witness it , 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Elchapo said:

There was a guy on another fourm who said his dog could take red hind single , everyone doubted , he had  acouple members of that fourm up and his dog did it in front them , was pics prove it and the other lads there to witness it , 

I dont think the hinds would be to much trouble as long as the dog could get on terms with them , the way he was talking he had had a few with the bitch . Some of the lowland stags I have seen though are monsters .

46 minutes ago, runner neil said:

I dont think the hinds would be to much trouble as long as the dog could get on terms with them , the way he was talking he had had a few with the bitch . Some of the lowland stags I have seen though are monsters .

I’ve seen a stag pretty close and they make a 28” bull cross look like a beddy whippet ? no chance id slip on stag not worth losing a dog over , not when you could just run them over in 4x4 ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
1 hour ago, Elchapo said:

I’ve seen a stag pretty close and they make a 28” bull cross look like a beddy whippet ? no chance id slip on stag not worth losing a dog over , not when you could just run them over in 4x4 ?

Definately not worth losing a good dog over and I know you're joking about the 4x4 but if you did try it your 4x4 would be looking a bit sad after. I've seen the scars on someone who was gored by a red stag and IMO is lucky to be alive.

8 minutes ago, Maximus Ferret said:

Definately not worth losing a good dog over and I know you're joking about the 4x4 but if you did try it your 4x4 would be looking a bit sad after. I've seen the scars on someone who was gored by a red stag and IMO is lucky to be alive.

Is it madclemming bill, and that's why he aint been on, still in recovery? ?

• Haha 1