Yes Or No?

Anyone interested in this subject may enjoy A Most Perfect Creature of Heaven by Kenneth Cassels. There is a good account in the book of a Deerhound successfully taking a stag single handed. A 30 1/2 " 85 1b bitch. Whether it is true or not I have no idea. Worth taking a look at the for the drawings if nothing else. Personally I believe it.

If you look on the vast majority of drawings you will see the dogs are doubled up at the least.

In Lea McNallys book Highland Year there is a photo of a stag being taken by two deerhounds. Late 60's or early 70's book but I think the photo was a lot earlier. Having said that were deerhounds also used for bringing down wounded deer for stalkers?

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seen plenty in The New Forest,..big old things.... My old dogs never made any impression on them ,..and in a way I was glad.... Also walked into large Reds on Scottish Isles,...plus had a few runs,

In the past, I've caught plenty of Fallow Does and Pricketts with my roustabout curs,..but only a couple of fairish Bucks,...a wire fence, (and a deep ditch) helped out Big floppy old things,

Posted Images

Anyone interested in this subject may enjoy A Most Perfect Creature of Heaven by Kenneth Cassels. There is a good account in the book of a Deerhound successfully taking a stag single handed. A 30 1/2 " 85 1b bitch. Whether it is true or not I have no idea. Worth taking a look at the for the drawings if nothing else. Personally I believe it.

If you look on the vast majority of drawings you will see the dogs are doubled up at the least.

In Lea McNallys book Highland Year there is a photo of a stag being taken by two deerhounds. Late 60's or early 70's book but I think the photo was a lot earlier. Having said that were deerhounds also used for bringing down wounded deer for stalkers?

I wouldnt be surprised if in the future someone brings a book out with a hell of a lot of pics of dogs taking red stags... pre ban etc...... :blink:

• Like 7

I wouldnt be surprised if in the future someone brings a book out with a hell of a lot of pics of dogs taking red stags... pre ban etc...... :blink:

They'll be myxy stags mopped up by grews
  • Like 2

I bet there is somebody sat reading this, pissing themselves, thinking I know its been done, I got the digital quality piccies to prove it and the dog/dogs sat right next to me :laugh: could be a bit like owning up to a really nasty fart though

Edited by arcticgun
  • Like 7

Quick question, would you rather slip your dog on a Red Stag or a male Wild Boar??????

200lb big nasty old boar , will sort any dog out, the dog would have to go for nose or ear , or other wise , it fooked if tried to grab any where else , they got short legs and tough bloody hide , they wreak a dog . even a 100 lb boar as very strong animal , so as real test of guts etc , a wild boar deff , but you have bring dogs up on them , in the 1st place . :yes:

Bigger than that...the big sows weigh 200lb....boars can be almost double that..... :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

• Like 1

Quick question, would you rather slip your dog on a Red Stag or a male Wild Boar??????

200lb big nasty old boar , will sort any dog out, the dog would have to go for nose or ear , or other wise , it fooked if tried to grab any where else , they got short legs and tough bloody hide , they wreak a dog . even a 100 lb boar as very strong animal , so as real test of guts etc , a wild boar deff , but you have bring dogs up on them , in the 1st place . :yes:

Bigger than that...the big sows weigh 200lb....boars can be almost double that..... :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

true mate , some of them boars are a serious animal deff , i think there few pics on here from a lad in germany , who hunts them regular and the dogs they use are just like leggy pats , a black type terrier , and these little buggers pile in , lol brave little dogs . :yes:

:hmm: I was intrigued by the original poster's question.....

I fancy, in the future,...we just might see some positive evidence of the dastardly deed having been achieved...

Possibly,..in the shape of crisp and clear images, of perhaps,..a strong Saluki type,...( the photos taken with, ridiculously expensive photographic equipment )..and the entire event described, in a clear and concise manner....

So,...do keep your eyes peeled....

Of course,..being an aged (and cerably challenged) veteran hunter,...I could well be mistaken .. :thumbs:

Copy%20of%20video1%20002-1.jpeg

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 8

I fancy, that in the future,...we might see some positive evidence,...in the shape of crisp and clear images, of possibly,..a strong Saluki type,...( the photos taken on ridiculously expensive photographic equipment )..and the entire event described, in a clear and concise manner..

I suspect you could be right...but then the said author/photographer would not be believed they would say it's staged and we'll have a thread on here asking if people believe it's possible.
  • Like 1