Yes Or No?

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seen plenty in The New Forest,..big old things.... My old dogs never made any impression on them ,..and in a way I was glad.... Also walked into large Reds on Scottish Isles,...plus had a few runs,

In the past, I've caught plenty of Fallow Does and Pricketts with my roustabout curs,..but only a couple of fairish Bucks,...a wire fence, (and a deep ditch) helped out Big floppy old things,

Posted Images

I mind the last encounter I had with large one, had two dogs on slip, one just off a good run on hare :thumbs: , went too look for my pal and seen it stood right out on the wheat :yes: wood behind it and good sized hill at rear of that :hmm: fortunately I did not have my astma inhaler with me :laugh: or it could of all well ended in tears, likely mine :cray:

thought about it a lot over the years, you see how they go on with other species and it makes you wonder but for me, i've come too this conclusion, based on my older two dogs, yes they would go to them, that I know, and yes once their they would engage them, and its them two facts that has stopped me from doing it, other stuff I'm happy to go with majority of the time the chance comes, even the odd well risky ones, but peronaly these just one step too far for me for now and with these dogs, some animal they are, the pics on the thread are amwesome, thanks for sharing, I know its possible cos theres always one is there not?

Edited by arcticgun
  • Like 3

In the past, I've caught plenty of Fallow Does and Pricketts with my roustabout curs,..but only a couple of fairish Bucks,...a wire fence, (and a deep ditch) helped out :laugh:

Big floppy old things,....awkward to handle.... :yes:

DSC_0061.jpg

I'm guessing they're wild bucks? Very nice to see mature animals like that, especially in daytime.

Novice

Must be a few out there had dogs killed by them or is that a secret never to be told?

I witnessed a big strong brute of a dog called Smash get killed outright by one back in the 1980's,all it took was one kick,dog struck it as it was running through a stream,dog didn't reach the otherside alive..I've seen fallow bucks turn & lower their heads at the oncoming threat..To play with the big boys you can always expect to get hurt or worse,that's just the way it is ?

• Like 6

Anyone interested in this subject may enjoy A Most Perfect Creature of Heaven by Kenneth Cassels. There is a good account in the book of a Deerhound successfully taking a stag single handed. A 30 1/2 " 85 1b bitch. Whether it is true or not I have no idea. Worth taking a look at the for the drawings if nothing else. Personally I believe it.

• Like 1

Anyone interested in this subject may enjoy A Most Perfect Creature of Heaven by Kenneth Cassels. There is a good account in the book of a Deerhound successfully taking a stag single handed. A 30 1/2 " 85 1b bitch. Whether it is true or not I have no idea. Worth taking a look at the for the drawings if nothing else. Personally I believe it.

If you look on the vast majority of drawings you will see the dogs are doubled up at the least.