My Hunting Mink Fang Catching A Muskrat In A Dry Canal

This is one of my latest videos showing my pointer lurcher marking a muskrat den along a dry canal, and my mink Fang catching it. This muskrat was a pretty good sized one, and Fang dispatched it pretty quick and easily.

https://youtu.be/g4Bb3fz1OmI

Here's a couple stills from the video......

Snapshot_0_zps265q43qz.png

best_zpsr2lpd63o.png

Edited by Minkenry
  • Like 7

Do you reward the dog as well?

I pat her and tell her she's done a good job when she finds one. She also gets rewarded by being able to catch the escaping muskrat in situations where the water is deeper, and the mink has little chance of catching the muskrat once it has bolted.

• Like 1

Quality mate .Is that a mink from a farm or a hand reared one .Can't get my head around taming a mink once its adult .

This mink was purchased from a farm and bottle raised from 5 weeks old. Mink can be "tamed" from any age or back ground (wild caught or captive raised), but you must use the correct methods, put in the time, and have realistic expectations. A mink tamed as an adult is a very different animal from one raised as a kit. Properly bottle raising a kit can be quite time consuming and a little tricky, but the end result is much more enjoyable than most mink you tame from adults. Though I would say that a difficult bottle raised baby who is raised incorrectly can be quite a terror. I've never had this problem myself, but I've seen others who raised the wrong mink the wrong way and the end result is far from enjoyable! Some mink tamed as adults can be quite nice to work with, and are surprisingly easy to train. Others are never completely trustworthy after training, and you have to be quite careful to avoid being bitten.

This video series shows me taming BY FAR the most aggressive mink I have ever seen or worked with. It turned out that in this mink's case, his extremely bold and aggressive nature made him easier, not more difficult to tame and train. Once I focused his prey drive towards hunting and chasing a lure instead of me, and he realized I was a source of food, he started seeing me as a buddy rather something to attack. This video series shows me going through the taming process with this EXCEPTIONALLY aggressive mink......... https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL03o0OXW1-dbeT3wTev7adXtWeuVoexKI

Edited by Minkenry
  • Like 1

Do you have any footage of the lurcher catching muskrat? Be nice to see her in action.

I do have this one video, but that's it.

https://youtu.be/t6M5Og41hTo

It's a shame as there have been some pretty cool catches that I would LOVE to have gotten on film. Here's one night that would have made a GREAT video! Onsa made some pretty impressive catches that night!

20170218_213257_zpstflfktno.jpg

• Like 1

Quality mate .Is that a mink from a farm or a hand reared one .Can't get my head around taming a mink once its adult .

This mink was purchased from a farm and bottle raised from 5 weeks old. Mink can be "tamed" from any age or back ground (wild caught or captive raised), but you must use the correct methods, put in the time, and have realistic expectations. A mink tamed as an adult is a very different animal from one raised as a kit. Properly bottle raising a kit can be quite time consuming and a little tricky, but the end result is much more enjoyable than most mink you tame from adults. Though I would say that a difficult bottle raised baby who is raised incorrectly can be quite a terror. I've never had this problem myself, but I've seen others who raised the wrong mink the wrong way and the end result is far from enjoyable! Some mink tamed as adults can be quite nice to work with, and are surprisingly easy to train. Others are never completely trustworthy after training, and you have to be quite careful to avoid being bitten.

This video series shows me taming BY FAR the most aggressive mink I have ever seen or worked with. It turned out that in this mink's case, his extremely bold and aggressive nature made him easier, not more difficult to tame and train. Once I focused his prey drive towards hunting and chasing a lure instead of me, and he realized I was a source of food, he started seeing me as a buddy rather something to attack. This video series shows me going through the taming process with this EXCEPTIONALLY aggressive mink......... https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL03o0OXW1-dbeT3wTev7adXtWeuVoexKI

that link doesn't work ?

that link doesn't work ?

Thanks! I just fixed it. Here it is again...... https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL03o0OXW1-dbeT3wTev7adXtWeuVoexKI

that link doesn't work ?

Thanks! I just fixed it. Here it is again...... https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL03o0OXW1-dbeT3wTev7adXtWeuVoexKI

thanks :thumbs: , you really do very well with it, the bites off it would have gone through to the bone in your hand , ive had few nips of ferrets , and they hurt , that mink would have hell of a lot worse bite, good job you got thick gloves on .But you stayed in there with him, and got him to expect you , you done great . On that vid when he on that big nasty muskrat , and he got it back of the head did kill it then, as the vid just stopped, i get the impression the minks kill there quarry from biting the back of the head , is that right, keep the vids coming great to watch :thumbs::yes:

wel minkenry really enjoy watching ur videos any time u put them up.just noticed that u have an e collar remote around ur neck do u use it for correction and training.i have been using one for the last 4 yrs with my dutch shepard and find them great.cracking videos all the best.

This is one of my latest videos showing my pointer lurcher marking a muskrat den along a dry canal, and my mink Fang catching it. This muskrat was a pretty good sized one, and Fang dispatched it pretty quick and easily.

best_zpsr2lpd63o.png

best_zpsr2lpd63o.png

wel minkenry really enjoy watching ur videos any time u put them up.just noticed that u have an e collar remote around ur neck do u use it for correction and training.i have been using one for the last 4 yrs with my dutch shepard and find them great.cracking videos all the best.