Interchangeable Barrels

Unless you're going to be shooting large numbers of rabbits or need near silence next to housing, consider a .17 Hornet. 1 gun and it does everything from birds and bunnies, to fox out to around 250-300yds for the cost of a variation. A few have one on here and by all accounts it's a cracking little gun.

Unless you're going to be shooting large numbers of rabbits or need near silence next to housing, consider a .17 Hornet. 1 gun and it does everything from birds and bunnies, to fox out to around 250-300yds for the cost of a variation. A few have one on here and by all accounts it's a cracking little gun.

Cor, give the lad a chance. He's only just got his FAC for 17hmr and 22lr. He's hardly likely to send it back for a variation before he's even got a gun. :laugh:

The 17 hornet is a decent enough gun, but it's never going to be a replacement for the 22lr as a plinker/rabbit gun especially when the ammo is over 10 times more expensive. And 250-300 yards on fox? :laugh::laugh: I know you're a fan, but that's ridiculous.

Badgerdaddy. Go and buy yourself a pair of CZs in the calibres on your ticket and you won't go far wrong. :thumbs:

everything from birds and bunnies, to fox out to around 250-300yds

That's running before you can walk.

The step up from 80 /100 yards as a 'normal' (or most common) range for rimfire use to 250+ is a big one in its self regardless of calibre and really needs a different approach to the shot entirely

I'm coming to this late and I've only skipped over the posts so apologies if this has been covered.

The 455 has interchangeable barrels, not quite in the same way as the quad, but its whole manufacturing process was designed as multifunction in this respect.

Multi barrel, does have a use for some people, but the Quad has been around a good while now and history shows changing barrels is not something that has caught on with many. If you consider you may be one of the few it will benefit then crack on, but personally, and most others in my experience much prefer the 2 or 3 gun setup rather than barrels.

From my specific point of view I often take 2 or 3 rifles with me to any site, that way I just grab what I need without faffing about, sometimes even changing part way through a shoot, changing a barrel in these circumstances for me is simply not an option. Consider also when you take your lad out as well, he would no doubt favour carrying a working rifle rather than a barrel.

Yes, there are cost implications of multi guns, but they are worth it for me without any question.

ATB!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2

I'm a two rifle person too. When you consider the cost of a spare barrel estimated £140to£180, a quality rail £65 and qrw mounts £65 it starts to tot up. You also have to consider the scope you stuck on the rifle holds zero but may not track true. If funds are tight, buy the .22lr s/h and the hmr new.

Edited by stillair1

i have a sako quad in 17hmr & 22 & it s great as long as your mount is high enough to change barrels without taking the scope off perfectly accurate & reliable im only changing as i have a 204 & the 17 no longer gets used.

The 17 hornet is a decent enough gun, but it's never going to be a replacement for the 22lr as a plinker/rabbit gun especially when the ammo is over 10 times more expensive. And 250-300 yards on fox? :laugh::laugh: I know you're a fan, but that's ridiculous.

Badly worded from my mobile, should have been a comma after fox. I meant it's good for everything from birds and bunnies to fox, and it's good for out to 250-300yds, not that I would recommend fox at 300yds.

The Shooting Show did use it out to a stated 300 yds on fox with no runners. There is a video of their night out on Youtube.

Many US / Canadian users use it on Coyote's at 200yds, with a large Coyote being a 5 or 6 times bigger prey than a fox. There's also a video on Youtube of a very large Coyote killed at 300yds with it, although in my opinion, it was far from humane. Exactly difficult to pinpoint why as the shot looked a little poorly placed to me, but certainly I wouldn't be using it on fox much beyond 200 simply to guarantee the humaneness of any shot.

Edited by Alsone