New 17 Hornet

Congratulations, have you got a scope for it yet?

Not yet milord. Having a serious struggle trying to make up my mind.

I like a big rabbit head to aim at so looking at X18/20/24. Dont want AO, don't want IR. Don't think I'll need tactical turrets.

Why do people buy 42/44mm objectives when they can have 50/56mm? Apart from raising the eyeline, Is it easier to center the eye when using a smaller objective lens?

And of course it has to work well with the Archer.

I like a big rabbit head to aim at so looking at X18/20/24. Dont want AO, don't want IR. Don't think I'll need tactical turrets.

Why do people buy 42/44mm objectives when they can have 50/56mm? Apart from raising the eyeline, Is it easier to center the eye when using a smaller objective lens?

A smaller scope balances the rifle better and looks better as it gives a sleeker silhouette.

If you are shooting with good light then the larger objective can be dispensed with, particularly with quality glass.

If you like magnification then you will need some sort of manual parallax focusing, the same goes double if you intend to use it with a night vision add-on. I would be wary of sacrificing too much magnification at the low end so you have a decent field of view at night however.

I have found that the coatings on the very best scopes (SB, swaro, Zeiss, etc) interfere with the IR gathering capabilities of night vision equipment and so this is one of the few occasions where buying the very best glass you can afford doesn't apply.

I hear very good things about the Hawke Sidewinder for this role.

If you are going to be stretching the legs of the rifle with a spot of long range varminting then I would recommend turrets, they mesh nicely with the precision of high magnification. Don't forget that most scopes in this sort of price range have the reticule in the second focal plane, i,e. the size of the crosshair does not change with magnification which can make aiming off difficult.

Bit the bullet and will have in my hand later today, a brand new CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet flavour and a s/h Hardy Gen 3 moderator.

Can't wait.

Good choice :thumbs: I bought my .17 hornet as a hmr replacement, best thing i ever did. I don't know what the hardy mods are like though as i use a DM80 on mine.

A smaller scope balances the rifle better and looks better as it gives a sleeker silhouette.

If you are shooting with good light then the larger objective can be dispensed with, particularly with quality glass.

If you like magnification then you will need some sort of manual parallax focusing, the same goes double if you intend to use it with a night vision add-on. I would be wary of sacrificing too much magnification at the low end so you have a decent field of view at night however.

I have found that the coatings on the very best scopes (SB, swaro, Zeiss, etc) interfere with the IR gathering capabilities of night vision equipment and so this is one of the few occasions where buying the very best glass you can afford doesn't apply.

I hear very good things about the Hawke Sidewinder for this role.

If you are going to be stretching the legs of the rifle with a spot of long range varminting then I would recommend turrets, they mesh nicely with the precision of high magnification. Don't forget that most scopes in this sort of price range have the reticule in the second focal plane, i,e. the size of the crosshair does not change with magnification which can make aiming off difficult.

I use various Hawke scopes milord because of the Archer. It does work well with the Sidewinder but I'll be looking to put something a bit better on it. Will be trying to pin down Julian for makes that work well with the Archer.

Aesthetics apart, what are the practical reasons for a smaller objective lens? For myself I find it easier and quicker to center my eye in the smaller objective lens. Or am I missing something?

No, you are right but perhaps for another reason.

A small objective scope means you can use lower mounts on any given rifle.

That means that the centreline of the scope ( which you are aiming to get your eye on for the best picture) is closer to the comb of the stock than with a large objective scope mounted higher up.

This means that when you shoulder the rifle your eye is more likely to be looking straight down the centre of the scope with the smaller objective as most stocks have combs too low for a really high mount.

This is why tactical and target shooting stocks tend to have adjustable combs.

I Have a S&B PMII on my Sako 308 varmint rifle and a Zeiss 6-25x56 on my 243 Remington culling rifle, both need stock raises to get my eye naturally in the right place https://www.beartooth-products.com/collections/comb-raising-kit-gun-cover-cheek-pad-weld-piece

But my 3006 has a SB 1-4x24 mounted so low you couldn't get a rizla between the eyebell and the bolt handle when you work it... :D

In terms of the IR thing, the better scopes have an anti IR filter which helps with colour rendition. I think everything up to the Leupolds/Falcons should be ok but Julian is the man to ask.

Bit the bullet and will have in my hand later today, a brand new CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet flavour and a s/h Hardy Gen 3 moderator.

Can't wait.

Good choice :thumbs: I bought my .17 hornet as a hmr replacement, best thing i ever did. I don't know what the hardy mods are like though as i use a DM80 on mine.

Thanks Ian. I was granted a hmr and a 223 as well for the bunnies and the fox but I'm hoping the 17 hornet will do both.

Just had a mad two days trying to get the reloading bits together so I can take it out tomorrow. Couldn't get 20gr vmax bullet heads anywhere. My mate 2 miles away said "I've got some of them".

Then I found that the CZ mounts aren't normal either and none of my stash would fit so today I've had a round trip the Potters in Tunbradge wells cos they said they had rings. Turns out they didn't but sorted me some 16-11mm adapters so I can at least put a scope on it for tomorrow.

So there's me feeling all smug with all my ducks in a row when It dawned on me that my new set of Lee dies came with a No2 shellholder instead of a No20. They will be changed but doesn't help me now.

Good job I bought 50 rounds of ready made vmax yesterday. :boogy: