Stoat In A Mole Trap

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An unlucky fella in a stainless flat pack barrel trap, the stainless version seen almost too sensitive straight out of the box!

Strangest catch of ever had, pretty sure no-one put it in as it was a long way off the beaten track, how it got caught like that I'll never know.       Generally get a couple of weasels a year

When you stop learning your dead mate,

I suppose it makes sense, that a weasel would naturally prey on moles.

Are they after the moles or something that shares the run?

Hmmm, well I suppose the answer to that would be, how often are voles, rats etc caught in mole traps? Especially where a weasel has been caught. Has voles etc Been caught in the same area?

I suppose it makes sense, that a weasel would naturally prey on moles.

Are they after the moles or something that shares the run?

Thats an interesting thought, Moxy ?,....youll read that the mole, wont share its tunnel system, with another species,...but, maybe a weasel, (or small stoat,..lol ?), in pursuit of any small mammal, prey (vole, mouse,shrew)....would obviously follow anything, thats trying desperately, too evade it ! (into the mole run ?),....rather than deliberately, hunting a mole ,....who knows ? :hmm:

Many a release pen has had the attention of a stoat ,weasel and been blamed on another species .My old head keeper insisted we stamp in all mole tunnels around the pens and trap as soon as any new activity .

Weasel populations fluctuate with the vole population I'm told which makes sense really . Can't remember seeing either last year but weasels abundant this year dead on the road .

Fascinating creatures both stoats and weasels and spend some good time watching both .Never could bring myself to shoot either but trapped loads of both .

• Like 1

The young lad from the farm caught this one516e2e20.jpg

A caught a weasel just like that darrenin your picture! It was a couple years back on a local perm mate, in exact same trap.thought i'd got lucky when a seen a flash of white thinking it was a albino... had plenty voles in putanges & field mice too. Them weasels definately frequent runs lookin for easy pickings im sure of it.

Edited by MAG1980
  • Like 1

A caught a weasel just like that darrenin your picture! It was a couple years back on a local perm mate, in exact same trap.thought i'd got lucky when a seen a flash of white thinking it was a albino... had plenty voles in putanges & field mice too. Them weasels definately frequent runs lookin for easy pickings im sure of it

" had plenty voles in putanges & field mice too.",.....?,.....handy to know that, ..just another reason, for me not to use that 'french' trap ! :yes:

A caught a weasel just like that darrenin your picture! It was a couple years back on a local perm mate, in exact same trap.thought i'd got lucky when a seen a flash of white thinking it was a albino... had plenty voles in putanges & field mice too. Them weasels definately frequent runs lookin for easy pickings im sure of it

" had plenty voles in putanges & field mice too.",.....?,.....handy to know that, ..just another reason, for me not to use that 'french' trap ! :yes:
Thats a no-mol trap I hold a few to use when I break into a three way, or in areas with heavy public access,never tried the putagne trap, the farmers lad I had taught to mole trap, and lucky enough he never goes anywhere without his phone, so he took a photo,

Thats a no-mol trap I hold a few to use when I break into a three way, or in areas with heavy public access,never tried the putagne trap, the farmers lad I had taught to mole trap, and lucky enough he never goes anywhere without his phone, so he took a photo,

Aye i got a couple lying about that still get used on odd occassion when low on putanges.the weasel i caught had come from behing the trap and fired it whilst trying to get threw the trap. I musn't of realised there was another run coming from a 3 way spurr i'd set traps in.still learn sumit new every day lol.

Aye i got a couple lying about that still get used on odd occassion when low on putanges.the weasel i caught had come from behing the trap and fired it whilst trying to get threw the trap. I musn't of realised there was another run coming from a 3 way spurr i'd set traps in.still learn sumit new every day lol.

When you stop learning your dead mate,
  • Like 3

Aye, my brother sent me a box, of 'no mol' traps (four in it, if i remember right,...), from the states, (15 year ago),..set them once or twice, for the novelty ! (NOT according to, the instuctions, though ! ha ha),...looks as though, the manufacturer, just copied the 'putange' ?

Edited by earth-thrower

Aye, my brother sent me a box, of 'no mol' traps (four in it, if i remember right,...), from the states, (15 year ago),..set them once or twice, for the novelty ! (NOT according to, the instuctions, though ! ha ha),...looks as though, the manufacturer, just copied the 'putange' ?
I agree I don't think they look as good, I will try them putagne's at some stage but I am flat out , and haven't Time to play about mastering Something else, my main stay is the tunnel trap and talpex, I do a lot of sand soil, and In truth I don't think them no-mole open wide enough, to hug the side's of the tunnel, and find the mole just digs to the side and around them, I just don't get a tight fit, how wide do the putagne's open??? Edited by 3175darren