3/4 Collie 1/4 Deerhound

Ive seen some good ones over the years out on the hill doing the job,infact one of the best dogs I seen on its job was a pure Wilkinson bred Deerhound bitch in the early 90s. Trouble is now though there fashionable again and pulling strong money so that will not bode the breed well .

• Like 1

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my mate had a full deerhound dog,with the pressure of work and growing children he parted the dog to a bloke and ,the dog was just over 12 months,Ive since hear the dog is slaughtering fox in seconds,

The only way to mix Collie and Deerhound to produce workers,is to add Greyhound to the mix,otherwise its a gamble to far.The Deerhound,Grey-Collie{Border}-Grey was once recognised as possibly 1 of the

I've a 3/4 cur & I'd bet it's got as much drive if not more than 90% of ALL lurchers in this land ..It will be the shite Deerhound blood that would ruin the cross,they are no good for fuckall and

Would be a fast sheep dog :-) Dont like collie x's much, rather use Kelpie if ya need hearding dog in the mix, much better in many ways than a collie jmo

Is the ACD not a popular lurcher x over there?

I don't think I've ever even seen a pure one let alone a x,so have no idea about them.

Deerhounds are way too big and slow to use in any cross. Plus they have zero heart. Come on fellas it just aint so.

the deerhounds you use Dan , that prob started your stag line, are very different dog to whats being bred to day , and should imagine that even today , that if you wanted to put drop more deerhound in your stags, that the deerhound over there, is bound to have drop of stag or even maybe drop of bulldog in it veins of 7-9 generations gone, still classed as deer hound , but from working lines.The dog over here not what you keep in the USA or in Oz for that matter . that why lads over here put drop of wheaten or pit in the deerhound x to put bit of grit in them , a pure deerhound of today not got it . i seen few of them in the 80s , they were over big near as big as irish wolf hounds, and getting health probs back then , so god knows what state there in to day , the fookin KC have ruined a great breed, like they do with most breeds, thats why i had lurchers i wanted healthy type dog , that could run about all day , live past 8, and not keep putting money in the vets pocket , all the while with there health probs .

• Like 1

Deerhounds are way too big and slow to use in any cross. Plus they have zero heart. Come on fellas it just aint so.

the deerhounds you use Dan , that prob started your stag line, are very different dog to whats being bred to day , and should imagine that even today , that if you wanted to put drop more deerhound in your stags, that the deerhound over there, is bound to have drop of stag or even maybe drop of bulldog in it veins of 7-9 generations gone, still classed as deer hound , but from working lines.The dog over here not what you keep in the USA or in Oz for that matter . that why lads over here put drop of wheaten or pit in the deerhound x to put bit of grit in them , a pure deerhound of today not got it . i seen few of them in the 80s , they were over big near as big as irish wolf hounds, and getting health probs back then , so god knows what state there in to day , the fookin KC have ruined a great breed, like they do with most breeds, thats why i had lurchers i wanted healthy type dog , that could run about all day , live past 8, and not keep putting money in the vets pocket , all the while with there health probs .

:yes::thumbs:

Would be a fast sheep dog :-) Dont like collie x's much, rather use Kelpie if ya need hearding dog in the mix, much better in many ways than a collie jmo

I don't think I've ever even seen a pure one let alone a x,so have no idea about them.

used a lot in pig dog crosses ( scrub nose dogs) not so much in dogs for speed the kelpie is a better option for that. I have put a few of my old acd x bull up in posts on here.

couple of acd crosses here, and a nice deerhound grey up the back the cream coloured one.

SDOtGY9.jpgk2c1fd0.jpg

• Like 1

I've heard theres a women over here that still has a line of working deerhounds that were her fathers.Apparently he would let a dozen of these out and they would would run back and forth across properties destroying all feral animals on the land.3/4 whippet 1/4 deerhounds were considered the ultimate rabbit dogs by the old dog men here.

Smaller amount of collie, defo

Even if it where three quarter collie and quarter greyhound, still not a good balance, imo

Part collie, part deerhound part greyhound ...now your talking

• Like 1

used a lot in pig dog crosses ( scrub nose dogs) not so much in dogs for speed the kelpie is a better option for that. I have put a few of my old acd x bull up in posts on here.

couple of acd crosses here, and a nice deerhound grey up the back the cream coloured one.

SDOtGY9.jpgk2c1fd0.jpg

The bull x's just look like well put together EBT's,I bet they're some rough little dogs.

So you reckon they're just too slow for the lurcher x?

I would have thought they'd be a bit more versatile for the quarry you have over there,being stronger and more durable.

But if they're not popular,it must be for good reason.

• Like 1

my mate had a full deerhound dog,with the pressure of work and growing children he parted the dog to a bloke and ,the dog was just over 12 months,Ive since hear the dog is slaughtering fox in seconds,taked loads of bigger stuff,and is a really driven beast...A certain commercial breeder of the D/H's took a service from the dog and when the time came for a pup to be given,the breeder blaguarded the man and now he refuses to give the stud services of the dog to anyone...ive asked twice for lads on here but no way...Its a sin in my view as the game deerhound is such a rare thing,every effort should be exhausted to keep the good ones going...its doing the breed a diservice,I thought if he even charged a fee ,but propagate the breed every chance as their as rare as fuk now..

• Like 6

my mate had a full deerhound dog,with the pressure of work and growing children he parted the dog to a bloke and ,the dog was just over 12 months,Ive since hear the dog is slaughtering fox in seconds,taked loads of bigger stuff,and is a really driven beast...A certain commercial breeder of the D/H's took a service from the dog and when the time came for a pup to be given,the breeder blaguarded the man and now he refuses to give the stud services of the dog to anyone...ive asked twice for lads on here but no way...Its a sin in my view as the game deerhound is such a rare thing,every effort should be exhausted to keep the good ones going...its doing the breed a diservice,I thought if he even charged a fee ,but propagate the breed every chance as their as rare as fuk now..

That looked a nicely made dog too. Compact and not too tall. :thumbs:

where did you see this dog MF,,you met shane over the years?

No, I haven't met Shane but did speak to him on the phone when he was selling the dog and I've seen quite a few of your photos of him. Some you sent me when he was selling him and some that you posted on an American coyote hound site. I think there were some in archived posts on here when he bred him to a half cross he owned too if I remember right.

Edited by Maximus Ferret