Workers Out Of Non Workers

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really.Maybe thats why 90% of bull crosses are completely shit

I'd always choose a pup from a long line of hard worked lurchers above a pup from the litter sister to the best bitch in the land or litter brother to the best dog in the land if they didn't work no m

Pavarottis brother can't hold a tune

Nothing to do with dogs but I raced pigeons quite successfully for 20 years and it wasn't always the best racers that breed the best racers. Some birds would just breed winners but not win much themselves. I'd say it's the same for dogs. Imo

ive bred and raced pigeons for years same as you Stevo and I agree with you I've hard birds breed me winners and they can't fly a yard but there's obviously something in side that pigeon that's right for breeding I'm always one to try new things out thing is you can miss a generation or two and still get somethin decent it all the time I think from my own experience it can be the same with dogs don't get me wrong I'm all for best to best but it doesn't always mean you get the best at some dogs you turn the tempo up and you start to see floors in them same as pigeons especially when your calling for long distance in certain winds

sir percy won the derby and cost 16,000 gns and was bred for hurdling at 2mile plus, he won a stack of sprint races and finishished 2nd in the 2,000 guineas

Kill a fox,an hare or bambi and your worth about £150,chase an artificial lure on an artificial track and you are in the clover,if the average lurcher owner put their nous into a short winded flier we could become far poorer for the effort but far richer.

Nothing to do with dogs but I raced pigeons quite successfully for 20 years and it wasn't always the best racers that breed the best racers. Some birds would just breed winners but not win much themselves. I'd say it's the same for dogs. Imo

ive bred and raced pigeons for years same as you Stevo and I agree with you I've hard birds breed me winners and they can't fly a yard but there's obviously something in side that pigeon that's right for breeding I'm always one to try new things out thing is you can miss a generation or two and still get somethin decent it all the time I think from my own experience it can be the same with dogs don't get me wrong I'm all for best to best but it doesn't always mean you get the best at some dogs you turn the tempo up and you start to see floors in them same as pigeons especially when your calling for long distance in certain winds
Agree with you there mate.

sir percy won the derby and cost 16,000 gns and was bred for hurdling at 2mile plus, he won a stack of sprint races and finishished 2nd in the 2,000 guineas

Kill a fox,an hare or bambi and your worth about £150,chase an artificial lure on an artificial track and you are in the clover,if the average lurcher owner put their nous into a short winded flier we could become far poorer for the effort but far richer.

australia bred in the purple out of best to best outstanding , frankel full brother not so

Edited by green lurchers

No idea about running dogs but they do intrigue me but with gundogs there are probably more seriously quality / gifted dogs in front of agas and chasing balls in a park than there are in the field. One of these would be fine for gundog work.

I would take a pup out of one of these dogs that i have seen and judged to be decent.

However it might be different with running dogs.

To me its all about the breeding.

I've tried breeding best to best of two cracking workers who were unrelated and had loose breeding on the sires side.

Offspring were pure muck.

Better off sticking to lines, families or strains. Much better % in litters IMO.

Have people not read Dai's first post or has the question moved on? The original was about pups from none working parents working out ok. I'd be very surprised if any lurcher lost the desire to chase and catch after many generations. BUT i'd always want a dog from sound, hard working parents, simples!!

I can see both sides.

I like to know what's in the background of my dogs and, because temperament is the most important element for me, I'd look for dogs with the character I wanted in the pedigree.

However, my second most important element would be heart (or grunt as I've heard it called in kelpies) basically that "No, I'm right and I'm not giving in" attitude. This is the main reason that I'd also aim for a dog bred from a long line of workers by preference too.

As to whether I'd favour a dog with great temperaments in it's non-working parents or iffy temperaments from working parents...I'd probably wait for a different litter.