Saluki Crosses

Well, im not an expert and neithers my dog but i love em...personally my dog has taken everything (except red deer) single handed..hunted in oxfordshire, ireland, scotland, lincolnshire, yorkshire, staffordshire, wiltshire, cambridgeshire, norfolk, durham, middlesborough, lancashire, shropshire, northhants and suffolk....and i like him.... :D

i love the salkuki greyhound IF its the correct sort... :D You have nop doubt heard tales of dogs filling car boots with game...well, this type of dog can do that time and time again....good hunting JD

Guest bracken boy

mine is 2 year old now and 23 inch and im struggling but not many people say they r havin trouble, i find mine very deaf on recall and pulls lots in the field cus he knows game r about, ive trained a colliex grey easy and thought i could do a saluki x but help is needed :D hes not a shy dog and is very loving, there seems to b a bond with me but dosnt recall well, when hes on the chase uve got no chance but is that normall..

Hi BB, now its none of my business really, and, in fact, i wouldnt blame you for telling me to keep my big bloody nose out of it, BUT, i find the way to a perfect recall is to use the dogs stomach.....if it doesnt come back IMMEDIATLY on the first recall it doesnt get any food...they usually learn sooner rather than later....but thats JMHO....JD

This is one of my young bitches about 16 months in the photo, roughly 7/8 th saluki, has killed all three species of hare ( Brown, Irish and blue) single handed in her first season. She comes straight back almost at a gallup and has a lovely temperament.

DSCN0364.jpg

This is Mink, a sister to Willow, above. Both bred by myself, raised by myself in exactly the same manner and yet Mink is nervy with traffic, strangers and unusual situations, although she will return to my side at the gallup provided I'm on my own. This bitch injured a toe on the fist day out this season on hard stubble and so has been laid off since and done nothing. Only started excercising again in december.

DSCN0375.jpg

This is Mink, a sister to Willow, above. Both bred by myself, raised by myself in exactly the same manner and yet Mink is nervy with traffic, strangers and unusual situations, although she will return to my side at the gallup provided I'm on my own. This bitch injured a toe on the fist day out this season on hard stubble and so has been laid off since and done nothing. Only started excercising again in december.

DSCN0375.jpg

Well i have Saluki Xs and have never encountered any problems. This is the cross that suits my needs. Mine take all quarry.

00003740ps.jpg

This Munti and fox was caught this morning.

00003832ci.jpg

00002399kj.jpg

Not bad as he is 7 years old now. Got two new recruits to keep me busy for a while. Fingers crossed. :good:

Guest lazylurchers

My own salukiXs and salukis have been the same regarding coming back, if anything my salukis tend to come back faster than my crosses. Yet I do very little formal training, I take them out and let them experience as much as possible and they learn from it. :good:

As for coursing, well salukis are simply middle eastern lurchers, bred to run, Gazelle, Roe, hare, fox, jackal and even wolf and very often over extremly rough terrain.

My own will take all quarry with no hesitation at all.

My own rarely have the luxury of the large open fields yet still catch as much has if not more than other lurchers I've been out with (their allow them to catch more), that plus there bottomless stamina and excellent feet, have made them the only dogs i'll have these days.

DSCI0033.jpg

Fudge_in_field.jpg

I did'nt mean to run the cross down Saluki, far from it. It's just that some people think that all saluki crosses are nervy, flighty and disobedient. And some self styled experts will blame bad handling. My point is that although my two had identical rearing and breeding they still turned out with different temperaments.

Genetic diversity I call it. The saluki dam of mine is as steady as a rock.....totally unlike the usual description of the breed. But I think that notion was put about by authors whos only experience of the breed was standing ringside watching show dogs, because the coursing salukis I've seen at work are nothing like that.

I did'nt mean to run the cross down Saluki, far from it. It's just that some people think that all saluki crosses are nervy, flighty and disobedient. And some self styled experts will blame bad handling. My point is that although my two had identical rearing and breeding they still turned out with different temperaments.

Genetic diversity I call it. The saluki dam of mine is as steady as a rock.....totally unlike the usual description of the breed. But I think that notion was put about by authors whos only experience of the breed was standing ringside watching show dogs, because the coursing salukis I've seen at work are nothing like that.

I totally agree with you [bANNED TEXT]. :good:

Guest lazylurchers

Of the pure Salukis in the photos, one is only 5 months and the other I sadly lost last year to liver cancer. Dont have any pics of him hunting as have only recently got a digi camera.

Megharepheasantenhan14.jpg

Heres a picture of my Saluki X with a hare and a pheasant she had just caught. Sorry no action pics. search.gif

Will start taking camera a bit more often! :good:

Guest bracken boy

j darcy u r most welcome 2 give me advise anytime [bANNED TEXT] as ive said many times on various sites im bloody rubbish with training :D:good: but i love the dog and hes great indoors and shows plenty of love bak, bloodt good job 2 :good:

i think 1 main mistake i made was training 3 dogs at once :cry: sheperd x has done well whippet x coming on slowly and yes u got it the saluki x very very very slow :cry: anyway rant over thanks all the same bb.

• 3 weeks later...