I have a 3/4 saluki Grey struggling to get him out as much as what he needs.work/young family. he's no bother to keep/kennel I've had him from a pup and he's 8 this year. the question is should I keep him because he's done me really well over the last 8 years.or should I find him a pet/working home where he will be out more???. the kennel space/ food isn't a problem I just don't feel like I'm doing the dog justice and feel sorry for him, opinions please lads

that's the thing. I would love to put him on the sofa.with 2 young kids and the house being small and the dog being 27" its just not practical. loads of kennel space for him that's not a problem.I just feel really sorry for him. he's grafted his arse of for me over the years.

yes he has been kenneled from a pup. keeping him kenneled. dry. fed well.wormed ect. with a nice rug isn't a problem. I just feel like he deserves more.just wanted other views on the situatuon.

id rather give him the above then give him to someone and not know how he is or if he's been past about etc. If he was my dog he wouldn't be going nowhere at that age even if I didn't have room I'd make it. End of the day the dogs served you well now it's time to pay back the favour.
  • Like 3

Many of us have been or are in the exact situation you speak of matey,personally I'd rather cull mine than rehome them if it really came down to having to make that decision but I'm a soft b*****d when it comes to dogs,I've several here that are as much use as a glass eye in the grand scheme of things the c**ts do my head in but i suppose likes been said I should be thankful of what they've given me over the years whilst they were working,I'm taking two of them away hiking for a couple of days tomoz,between them they are almost 19 but on the plus side the b*****ds "shouldn't" give me any headaches whilst out & about,I'm faster than them & that's saying something ?

• Like 3

thanks for the replies lads. think I'm going to keep him as a pet . and just push to give him more time. more walks ect. like it has been said if he did go to a new home he could be pushed from pillar to post and he will be better of with me.

• Like 6

I have a 3/4 saluki Grey struggling to get him out as much as what he needs.work/young family. he's no bother to keep/kennel I've had him from a pup and he's 8 this year. the question is should I keep him because he's done me really well over the last 8 years.or should I find him a pet/working home where he will be out more???. the kennel space/ food isn't a problem I just don't feel like I'm doing the dog justice and feel sorry for him, opinions please lads

The greatest respect you can often bestow upon a working mutt is to cull it when the time arises,the dog seldom ends up in an environment that befits it.Many a soul as striven for a decent retirement home for a prized jukel to later find the dog as suffered a piss poor fate.Retire it at home or cull is the best thing for the majority of mutts.

• Like 3

When I moved in with my Mrs I took my old dogs with me my one old dog jack was 8 at the time he was started to develope arthritis in his legs and all though he'd give him 100% I knew it was to much for him to be out hours and hours plus he was pinning to go back to my mom and dads house so I made the decision to retire him off it was hard because I knew he loved being out grafting but when he was coming back to me with a leg like a balloon it's not fair I sent him to my dads and it was like he was a different dog he even gave me a look when he went back into his old kennel as if to say thanks mate I always remember it sadly he got put down in the winter age of 12 I buried him in a lovely field under an apple tree had some good old times with him

• Like 1

thanks for the replies lads. think I'm going to keep him as a pet . and just push to give him more time. more walks ect. like it has been said if he did go to a new home he could be pushed from pillar to post and he will be better of with me.

Good stuff. I think, as he is 8 and been with you since a pup, he would find going to a new place fairly traumatic i would think,as salukis and saluki saturated dogs do.

Glad you have decided to keep him, fair play. :thumbs:

• Like 2