Bit Of N.v Advice For A N.v Novice

Just a bit of advice if i could please gents, without going over the top budget wise, what would be a decent nv scope for a .22 rimfire?

Never tried it yet but seen plenty of footage just recently of, (i assume), pre charged air rifles on the rats etc.

Just thought id ask you learned gentlemen on here that have hands on experience what youd suggest or recommend a N.V newby.

Thanks in advance

I'm watching this thread with interest but it seems to have stopped. So, same question, a decent NV set up for a .22lr being used for rabbits out to about 80 yards which can be transferred to a PCP air rifle for rat bashing at 30 yards. The Nite Site Wolf was drawing my attention, although a bit expensive. Any advice out there from the nocturnal shooting brigade.

• Like 1

Get a second hand Photon ,fitted with 30mm Leupold/Warne q/r mounts ,jobs a good 1 .Expect to pay about £220 to £250 .Took mine out Saturday saw loads of bunnies and Muntjac 150 yards away as ive fiited a Black sun ir lamp .But the built in laser will be good enough for your ranges.Them Telly screens on top will light you up like a christmas tree.

Fit a weaver rail to both rifles and your zero will hold ,dont worry about "standard" weavers the chinese do a long rail you cut down and drill to suit your rifle,s screw holes..Under a fiver delivered of the bay of evil atb

What you intend shooting boot

Ab

To be honest Dave was thinking initially of putting it on my .22 rimfire fir rats, rabbits etc, but if it was a good enough o e I may put it on my .243

What you intend shooting boot

Ab

To be honest Dave was thinking initially of putting it on my .22 rimfire fir rats, rabbits etc, but if it was a good enough o e I may put it on my .243

• 3 weeks later...

Build your own.

Nitesite are ridiculously expensive so even for extremely average performance.

You can self build a unit very, very easily that will piss all over the NS for cost, range and clarity.

• 4 weeks later...

Build your own.

Nitesite are ridiculously expensive so even for extremely average performance.

You can self build a unit very, very easily that will piss all over the NS for cost, range and clarity.

I have both home build and NiteSite Viper and both give similar performance although to be very honest the NiteSite Viper wins, hands down because of forward weight. It doesn't need any extra IR torch mounting at the front of the scope so far more comfortable to walk around with. If I were looking at a new NV now, I would sell my Viper and buy the NiteSite Viper R-Tec with the NV range finder, superb piece of kit. I had a good look at this set up at the Northern Shooting Show, last week, very impressed and I will get one when the cash flow is a little stronger, spent enough so far this year.

If your budget is tight then a home build will get you shooting in the dark.

Phil

If it was me and I wanted a cheap dedicated unit, for the money the Yukon Photon XT6.5 is good with the right IR torch.

I hate add ons with big daft screens on the top of the scope, bulky, easily knocked, wires , not for me...

I use a Ward 700/800 on everything from air rifle upto centrefire using either MTC mamba/viper, Hawke Sidewinder or Sightron scopes and its a nice self contained unit compact, keeps your normal shooting position, allows you to mag your scope right up if needed, very easy to swap between rifles..Cost £800 but there worth it for the versatility ...