Hedgehogs In Live Traps

Hi,

Got some live traps for rats set around the place. Last couple of nights have been finding hedgehogs in there. I check them twice a day so just realise them with no harm done.

Is there anything I can bait them with that will attract the rats but put off the hedgehogs?

Thanks

Would making the hole smaller help

:thumbs:

Create a tunnel with sticks and reduce the door opening size without hindering the operation of the trap.

You only need a small opening for a rat.

Hi,

Got some live traps for rats set around the place. Last couple of nights have been finding hedgehogs in there. I check them twice a day so just realise them with no harm done.

Is there anything I can bait them with that will attract the rats but put off the hedgehogs?

Thanks

Are you using a meat type bait ?

Hedgehogs shouldn't enter a trap if you're using grain as bait, but rats will.

I caught hedgehogs for 9 or 10 days in a row in a cat trap when using dog food as bait.

On the 2nd last day I marked the Hedgehog with a bit of whitewash and sure enough he was in the trap the next morning.

I had been catching the same one all along.

• Like 5

Try cutting the top 1/4 off a 4 pint milk carton or the bottom section either ither obviously a hole has to be made if using that and it does as a make shift tunnel baffle place at entrance, its worked for me on various trap set ups.

just restrict the entrance mate , sticks , marker pegs , your choice the rat won't care . A 2" hole is plenty .

I constantly have a cage trap, unbaited behind the ferrets run and catch 5 or 6 rats a year . Ironically had one in their today and introduced it to the PCP. :thumbs:

Hi,

Thanks

I caught hedgehogs for 9 or 10 days in a row in a cat trap when using dog food as bait.

On the 2nd last day I marked the Hedgehog with a bit of whitewash and sure enough he was in the trap the next morning.

I've caught plenty of hedgehogs in cages baited with nuts for squirrels or carrot and apple for rabbits. Strange but it happens

Hi,

Thanks

I've caught plenty of hedgehogs in cages baited with nuts for squirrels or carrot and apple for rabbits. Strange but it happens

There you go, hunting or trapping any animal will always ,eventually, make a liar of us, LOL.

Glad to say that was the only time a Hedgehog ever ruined a set on me. The 9 or 10 nights that he did close the cage did however prolong the life of a little vixen who kept causing trouble until I brought the Hedgehog a couple of miles out the road and released him.

Hi,

Thanks

There you go, hunting or trapping any animal will always ,eventually, make a liar of us, LOL.

Glad to say that was the only time a Hedgehog ever ruined a set on me. The 9 or 10 nights that he did close the cage did however prolong the life of a little vixen who kept causing trouble until I brought the Hedgehog a couple of miles out the road and released him.

Caught a fair amount of birds in cage traps. That's frustrating at times

Hi,

Thanks

Caught a fair amount of birds in cage traps. That's frustrating at times

It's something I don't comment on to much but birds will go anywhere.

I can't use Fenns or snap traps around my poultry pens for this reason and it has to be cage traps.

A Moorhen opened my eyes but the most unusual was a Blackbird and a cock Pheasant at the same time in a Mink trap I had set for Rats using grain as bait.

Another time I suspected I was catching the same male Blackbird regularly so I rubbed some of his own white shit in his tail feathers and sure enough I was right.

The reason Blackbirds go after my bait, by the way, is because I mix soaked dogfood (which I don't feed to dogs,LOL.) through my poultry grain for protein and it's this the birds are picking up and also what I use as bait.

• Like 1