Newby To Fac With A Night-Vision Question.

Had my FAC about 3 or 4 month now.

Got a .22 and a 223 which im getting on fine with, ive been toying with the idea of getting some night vision and as always i try to do

a bit of research before i decide to part with my hard earned.

I got told the add on (eBay) kits are a decent starting place but i was unsure about the screen sticking above the scope... im guaranteed to knock that off at some point and the whole thing looks a bit Heath Robinson to me.

I like the look of the Yukon-photon-xt-6-5x50 a pal of mine has had one of these and said he didn't like using it in the day as it was Black and white and took a bit of getting used to....those of you who use the Yukon, do you struggle with it in the day..? is it still clear..?.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Had my FAC about 3 or 4 month now.

Got a .22 and a 223 which im getting on fine with, ive been toying with the idea of getting some night vision and as always i try to do

a bit of research before i decide to part with my hard earned.

I got told the add on (eBay) kits are a decent starting place but i was unsure about the screen sticking above the scope... im guaranteed to knock that off at some point and the whole thing looks a bit Heath Robinson to me.

I like the look of the Yukon-photon-xt-6-5x50 a pal of mine has had one of these and said he didn't like using it in the day as it was Black and white and took a bit of getting used to....those of you who use the Yukon, do you struggle with it in the day..? is it still clear..?.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

I wouldn't go near one of those with the screen mounted above the scope. Apart from the clumsiness of it, the screen must make your face light up like you're holding a torch to it.

You CAN use the photons during the day, but they aren't ideal.

Just got the 5x42 photon for my .243 yes it is odd using in the day but seems mighty fine at night so ive compromised .My S n B 8x56 is on q/r mounts so im fitting the same to the Yukon and if its deer S n B if its foxes swap to the Yukon .With practice i may get used to the day adaption on the Yukon but right now it,s weird "watching tv" as it were.

Just got the 5x42 photon for my .243 yes it is odd using in the day but seems mighty fine at night so ive compromised .My S n B 8x56 is on q/r mounts so im fitting the same to the Yukon and if its deer S n B if its foxes swap to the Yukon .With practice i may get used to the day adaption on the Yukon but right now it,s weird "watching tv" as it were.

What sort of range are you getting with the Yukon on the foxes? I've been toying with the idea of getting one on my 223

Maximum Range on the permission i have is about 150 metres but im sure the unit goes much further .Its all woodland and sloping hills so no real distance shooting involved .The standard I.R laser on its ok but ive added a T20 with a black I.R which gives a much clearer picture and using a li-po 12 v battery gives a good long run time as the 2 AA batteries it uses are a daft idea imho.atb

I use a self build add on kit and to be brutally honest they are only as clumsy as you make them.

My screen is mounted alongside the scope on a swinging bracket so it folds in when not in use and the shooting position is more natural as you shoulder normally and just look past the scope instead of over it.

I use a home build NV with screen mounted on the side, works well and is a lot cheaper and often better than units a lot more expensive, if you didn't want a screen then you can get near eye builds.

I'd say without doubt that of you are happy with screened, homebuilders is the only way to go.

If you want near eye but an add on then a ward is probably the best bet (or an archer)

If you want dedicated then photon for sub 200 yard work and a pulsar for sub 450 yard.

Another thought, as you see a lot of people selling a second hand unit after a month or two " because I decided NV is not for me " is an option to build your own screen add on unit and try it out, then if you decide NV is for you but you want a dedicated unit go and get one, the bits you use for your own DIY add on could all be used with the addition of a different lense in a spotter build or sold on for about the same as you bought them all for ?

My Photon was £220 delivered ,2nd hand will use it as is for now but.Ive studied all the improvement ideas on N.V forum <thanks Villaman>and a 55mm Pentax Takumar lens and adaptor are in the post .They give it far greater clarity and slightly better range.In the area i shoot dont need a huge range but if i do get more land i can swap to the 105mm lens and it,s then a "photon extreme"

.Would love a Drone pro but they cost more than my car so her indoors says no way jose to that £1800 .

2nd Hand Photon or if your lucky a used Ward 700 ,but they bolt on to your scope would be your best bet atb