Rabbiting Dogs, Opinions.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whatever you choose have a bit of greyhound whippet on with it here's my we beddy whippet greyhound good we rabbit dog

Lurcher x lurcher bit of deerhound and bit of collie  

Rabbiting is often different throughout the UK...some types are more suited to localised terrain than others,...it pays to consider this...

Posted Images

Depends what sort of ground your running, the typical rabbiting lurcher for me would be a nice little beddy whippet, quick excelleration and can turn on the spot, but get her in to larger open space and you'll start to struggle, seen good collie greyhounds on rabbit even hancock dogs believe it or not, my bull greyhound catches them with ease and I like his style (risk life and limb for a rabbit) but there's much better crosses out there for this quarry than a bull greyhound

Depends what sort of ground you run Liamc, there,s alot of lads running 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddy but i would'nt rule out a 1/4 collie or 1/4 bull, as long as its from good workers, i,d have thought it might be easier to get a good beddy cross just because there,s more out there doing the job, for rougher ground then maybe look at 5/8 3/8.

Saw a fair few beddy lurchers with poor coats. one out of newcombes viper beddy/border cross whippet grey excellent jacket good rabbit dog in the 90s.

Yeah,..seen quite a few,...I think George Newcombe's out cross experiments, where he deliberately put Border's and Lakeland's over his Bedlington Terriers, definitely improved the contemporary, Bedlington terrier coat..

Mind you, for a roustabout bush busting, terrier based rabbiter, I would prefer the harsh, crisp red pelt of the Irish Terrier/Running dog hybrids.

Are you in cahoots with Glover Mr.Lloyd ? Barely a week goes by without him extolling the virtues of the Irish Terrier in TCW. Call me a cynic but I predict litters of a new Irish Terrier based strain of lurchers appearing in the classifieds anytime now :-).

But it's Whippets and their crosses all the way for me regarding daytime rabbiting. I hate to see a running dog " course " a rabbit. Putting enough pressure on a bunny to prevent it's escape but making hard work of the job and getting bent all over the field before making a catch. Unlike a Whippet. Bolt/flush, BANG, returned to hand, ready for the next. Always loved them.

I do not know the fellow you speak of,..I doubt we have much in common....

I don't read any magazines either.... :laugh:

However, I do have personal experience of this hybrid..... saw them working several decades ago,..I liked what I saw... :yes:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 3

I find anything with a nice splash o whippet or greyhound will make rabbiting look easy

In pic uve got collie x beddie X and wheaten x saluki ,,all have a good splash of running dog in there make up ,, making the rabbiting game so much easier

post-53576-0-88082700-1490309520_thumb.png

Edited by MR RABBIT
  • Like 1

Saw a fair few beddy lurchers with poor coats. one out of newcombes viper beddy/border cross whippet grey excellent jacket good rabbit dog in the 90s.

Yeah,..seen quite a few,...I think George Newcombe's out cross experiments, where he deliberately put Border's and Lakeland's over his Bedlington Terriers, definitely improved the contemporary, Bedlington terrier coat..

Mind you, for a roustabout bush busting, terrier based rabbiter, I would prefer the harsh, crisp red pelt of the Irish Terrier/Running dog hybrids.

Are you in cahoots with Glover Mr.Lloyd ? Barely a week goes by without him extolling the virtues of the Irish Terrier in TCW. Call me a cynic but I predict litters of a new Irish Terrier based strain of lurchers appearing in the classifieds anytime now :-).

But it's Whippets and their crosses all the way for me regarding daytime rabbiting. I hate to see a running dog " course " a rabbit. Putting enough pressure on a bunny to prevent it's escape but making hard work of the job and getting bent all over the field before making a catch. Unlike a Whippet. Bolt/flush, BANG, returned to hand, ready for the next. Always loved them.

One of my 3/4 whippets started coursing rabbits after a good start catching,so I put her in tight spots where if she didn't strike as soon as possible she'd catch nothing(around creek lines etc)she soon returned to catching.