Whats The Crack With Buying Chickens Atm?

as above really, moved to a new house and want to get a few hens for eggs and hopefully get a few broody and stick some strange eggs under them lol is there a stop or anything because of this avian flu? or can you still just go get some at auction?

thanks ant

Ant mate. You are far better off buying some point of lay birds which basically means that they are from 15 to 17 weeks old and will start laying anytime soon. Try to get some warrens to start, cross Rhode Island light Sussex. They will give you a good egg yield and are as easy to keep as a canary in a cage. There's loads of places to get them. Start small pal say 5 hens to a cockerel of some description. The eggs will never be fertile but the noise is great. Have fun. Jok.

• Like 1

I've a 20' x 6' full height chicken coop. When I started, which wasn't all that long ago I was paying £3.00 for a standard red point of lay, then the next batch were £5.00. The next were over £10.00 ? Now I've seen them for £15.00 ? I use to buy a dozen at a time, but at £180 (against the £36.00 I once paid) I buy 30 eggs ? for £3.00 at my local farm. No feed, no mite, no bother! Oh, and my rabbit ? loves her 'new' hutch!

• Like 1

Sad sad man. Lol. How can you justify farm eggs against the joy of getting up every morning at yon o'clock to let your birds out. Clean and refresh the water, fill up the feaders, refresh the laying beds, pick them some greens, collect the eggs, check the rat traps, make sure Charlie can't get in, go down there at dusk to make sure they are secure, lock up and go to bed. Then worry about what you might not have done to make sure they are all safe. Check the trail camera in the morning to see who might have given you a visit and then start the whole process again. Why would you give all this up. LOL.jok.

• Like 5

As far as I'm aware all shows and auctions have been banned across the UK, when this will be lifted I don't know, depending on what area you are in and what the situation is at the time will depend on what you can move and keep, I imagine their are people selling them privately though if you aren't in a high risk area.
This is the DEFRA site, no idea how up to date it is as I not keep poultry myself.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/avian-influenza-bird-flu-in-winter-2016-to-2017

Sad sad man. Lol. How can you justify farm eggs against the joy of getting up every morning at yon o'clock to let your birds out. Clean and refresh the water, fill up the feaders, refresh the laying beds, pick them some greens, collect the eggs, check the rat traps, make sure Charlie can't get in, go down there at dusk to make sure they are secure, lock up and go to bed. Then worry about what you might not have done to make sure they are all safe. Check the trail camera in the morning to see who might have given you a visit and then start the whole process again. Why would you give all this up. LOL.jok.

ha ha jok, I no the routine lol I used to have half a dozen silkies in my back garden but neighbours put a complaint in to the council about my cockerel (terraced house lol) and then I was given a goose egg to eat, I just chucked it under the hens and the bloody thing hatched! lol I don't no who was more shocked, me , the neighbours or the bloody chickens! Lol
  • Like 3

As far as I'm aware all shows and auctions have been banned across the UK, when this will be lifted I don't know, depending on what area you are in and what the situation is at the time will depend on what you can move and keep, I imagine their are people selling them privately though if you aren't in a high risk area.

This is the DEFRA site, no idea how up to date it is as I not keep poultry myself.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/avian-influenza-bird-flu-in-winter-2016-to-2017

i had a look at the local auction before and there's a poultry sale later this month?

its a cracking time of the yr to own fowl.as the land starts to dry up ive 3 le bress 3 buff orps1.rode island 1marran 1sussex 1leghorn 1welsummer 1plymoth rock and 1 old fat old english game bantem hen.its grand to hear and see them around the place.

• Like 2

Went an got 10 hens from a egg farm yesterday ,£1 a bird well worth the 40 Mile round trip.

Got 6 eggs this morning.

Where do you keep them pal I remember you saying you had a very small back garden.

In the back garden lol

Got a eglu cube I picked up cheap couple year ago and got corner fenced off for them.

• Like 1

Looking at it an guessing width is 40 ft and 20 ft from house to back fence then piece down side of house tapers to the back gate,

We had probably 2/3 times that when we lived in a village in forest of Dean.

It sounds like its bigger than mine. My back garden is the size of my kitchen.